"Shock and awe" . . . my butt

by teejay 33 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

I just hope that such phrases do not turn into mere catch phrasing that fails to really describe what is happening. I also get the feeling that the phrase could one day be used in some stupid ways. For example, I am waiting for some athelete somewhere to say, after a big victory, 'yeah, man, it was shock and awe". While such a possibilty sounds preposterous, consider that one player for the Washington Wizards last week likened that teams' playoff chase to the war in Iraq.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Matt, how does "peace op" relate to the specific military campaign of using such a huge amount of superior military might that you shock and awe your foe into giving up or fighting with less enthusiasm?

Also, what sense would it make to put up a UN flag?

btw, the name of the military offensive in Iraq is "Operation Iraqi freedom".

• bigboi
    bigboi

That phrase is pure unaldulterated propaganda. The circumstances in which this war is being waged dictate that the Gov show everyone involved that it means that it will accomplish Saddam's ouster from power no matter what. Especially for the troops in Iraq that intend to fight it out to the end. The undelying message is clear. Resist the US forces and we will do everything in our power to kill you. Typical war-type stuff.

• Valis
    Valis

sounds better than choc et crainte *LOL* this one isn't too bad..Schlag und Awe HIEL!!! godfather style...scossa ed awe South of the border..choque y temor It all gets boring I agree...They could just say "this part of the second gulf war..blah blah blah..." Sinceramente, Cerveza Excesiva del Districto

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

I only said Op Peace as a example, yeah your right, there is no peace at the moment but surely the hope at the end of this is that the Iraqi people will be able to build themselves better lives and have a chance at a decent existence with the help of the UK/US/UN. Yeah the UN have proved completely useless but I somehow believe that it is the best if any flag to be used as it is a way of saying or giving hope to the people "We are here to help you !"

Sorry if I offended but thats how I personally feel.

• Francois
    Francois

Yes, they've had to put up with Saddam for thirty years, and now this? What do you want the US forces to do TJ, issue an engraved invitation to Saddam & Sons to leave quietly? We did that, actually, and they declined to exit. So next we get "this." And after thirty years of rapine, slaughter, mayhem, one atrocity after another, I'd bet each bomb was music to their ears. Have you informed yourself of the accuracy of these strikes? There's a war going on but the electricty is still on and the water is still flowing; a command bunker is taken out right next door to an historic mosque which isn't even scratched. C'mon, you're complaining for the population of Baghdad, and they're happier than a pig in shit slop to be getting rid of that tyrant.

You're tired of hearing "shock and awe" turn off the sound; watch the Disney Channel; read the Awake!; there's a million things to do.

francois

• teejay
    teejay

Spoken like a true, God-fearin' Republican, Frank.

• jwsons
    jwsons

One man (Buttt the Son) came to his neighbor house, blamed the head of that family that he is crazy, he is not deserve to lead his own wife or children. The doctor (Hans Blix) said "he is getting better, not so crazy like you think, man." The police (UN) also stand there and said "Let him show his recovery from mental problem." Out of the sudden, the man (Buttt the Son) invades that house, try to kick out the lead of that family despite of police and doctor stading there. He (Butttt) violated law and neglect the human being society. One came up and ask "How can Buttt knows that inside this house has massive destruction weapons, while even Hans Blix couldn't confirm. One lady answered: "Buttt know this house has those weapons because Buttt the Father still keeps all the receipts" HeHeHe....

jwsons

• teejay
    teejay

>>> "Buttt know this house has those weapons because Buttt the Father still keeps all the receipts" -- jwsons

Good point, jwsons

What the self-righteous Bushies won't own up to is that Sadaam would have nary a nuke-ya-ler program (nor bio weapons) weren't it for the U.S. supplying them during Iraq's war with a second member of the great Axis Of Evil -- Iran. Funny how, when the Iraqi gassed the hell out of the Iranians not much of a cry went up from this side of the Atlantic. Back then Sadaam was a good ole boy, doing the world a favor by getting rid of Khomeni's radical brand of Islam. 'Course, the U.S. also supplied Iran weapons on the down-low ... but hey! That's the American way!!

Now that Sadaam has outlived his usefulness, the fact that he gassed a handful of Kurds (who tried to overthrow the gov't, btw) is one of the reasons Bush is leading this crusade against "evil."

• Francois
    Francois

And TJ, in what vein and spirit are you speaking? The Iraqis seem to be really happy about all this, as noted, and you're grumbling about it. Are you saying you're speaking like a true, God-fearin' Iraqi? I don't think you are. Why ARE you taking on so about it, when the Iraqis seem so happy to get rid of their resident despot? As a refugee from the WT Wars, it seems to me you'd be able to identify with getting rid of a tyrant in your life.

So. Why are you grumbling for an entire nation of people who don't seem either to want it or need it?

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit