If you were President????

by LB 24 Replies latest jw friends

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

Who cares if they respect each other? I don't. Tell me how many countries respect us now? Only one country in the world has a population in favor of this war and that is Israel. We are breeding contempt for the United States which only encourages more terrorism. That doesn't sound very smart to me. Maybe Washington didn't know what he was talking about, and maybe neither do I. I do know enough that in my own life I don't go around trying to piss people off.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I would do what it takes to preserve our lives here in the US at the same time liberate the Iraqi people. Basically, what our President is doing.

It sure would wear heavily on my shoulders though.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I would deflate the federal govt. It has too much concentrated power. The constitution was originally conceived to keep it at bay. In accordance w this, i would give away most of the powers to the individual states. The US would become just another of many other countries. It would no longer be a world policeman. Of course, i would be assasinated very quickly and someone else would step in to carry on the present power binging course.

SS

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Pulling all non naval and non-ambassadorial forces back to the western hemisphere is a good idea. The US does not need to be in the business of liberating the world. If they are not liberated by now, its their own damned fault. Devil take the hindmost, as they say. For over two hundred years the USA has been an almost continuously "ON" war machine and its time to end it. Eisenhower and Washington, both Generals and Presidents warned respectively of the dangers of the military-industrial complex, and of binding alliances.

For those who think America is some sleeping giant, rudely awakened by an attack, the giant never went to sleep, except for once in awhile when he was to poor to fight. Here is a little list of American armed conflicts abroad, and dometic armed conflicts since America's beginning.

The American Revolutionary War1775-1785
    Native American Conquests 1775-1890 (too many to list individually)
    Shay's Rebellion 1786-1787
    Whiskey Rebellion 1794
    The Quasi War with France 1798-1800
    Fries' Rebellion of Pennsylvania 1799
    The Barbary Coast Wars 1800-1815
    War of 1812 1812-1815
    Mexican War 1846-1848
    Bleeding Kansas 1855-1860
    Battle of Harper's Ferry 1859
    American Civil War 1861-1865
    Hawaiian Intervention 1893
    Spanish-American War 1898
    Samoan Intervention 1898-1902
    Phillipino Independance Wars 1899-1913
    Boxer Rebellion 1900
    Panamanian Intervention 1900
    Latin American Interventions 1890-1933 (too many to list)
    Vera Cruz Landing 1914
    Mexican Invasion 1916-1917
    World War I 1917-1918
    Anti-Bolshevik Operations 1919-1921
    World War II 1941-1945
    The Cold War 1945-1990
    Korean War 1950-1953
    Invasion of Guatemala 1954
    Vietnam War 1956-1975
    1st Lebanon Intervention 1958
    Dominican Occupation 1965
    Bombing and later Evacuation of Cambodia 1969-1975
    Bombing of Laos 1971-1973
    Alcatraz "AIM" Occupation Removal 1971
    Wounded Knee II "AIM" Occupation 1975
    Operation Eagle Claw, Iran 1980 1980
    Libya 1981,1986
    Lebanon 1982-1984
    Grenadan Invasion 1983
    Operation Earnest Will: IRAN 1987-1988
    Panamanian Invasion 1989
    Persian Gulf War 1991
    Undeclared Iraqi War 1991-1998
    Somalia 1992-1994
    Branch Davidian Rebellion 1993
    Bosnia 1994-1995
    Haiti 1994
    Sudan 1998
    Afghanistan 1998
    Operation Desert Fox: Iraq 1998
    Undeclared Iraqi War 1998-2003
    Kosovo War 1999
    AlQaeda attack on USS Cole 2000
    Enduring Freedom- 2001-Present
    Afghanistan 2001-Present
    Phillipine Islamists 2001-Present
    Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003-?

We went to war with Iraq for no better reason then the regime in charge wanted to. Whatever its own reasons are, are moot. It was going to happen. And it will happen again.

• teejay
    teejay

Yeah.... what Realist said.

• Mulan
    Mulan

First: I would make sure I knew how to pronounce Nu-cle-ar. Duh!

My objections to the war have been stated here before. Mainly it is "who made Bush in charge of fixing Iraq?" The possible repurcussions on our country are too scary to consider.

Why consider an alternative to war? It's none of our business.

If they were so upset about Saddam, why not have the CIA go in and bump him and his sons off. They can do it too............no one would know it was them. That law Gerald Ford instituted can be bypassed. I think they've done it before.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Thanks for mentioning the pronunciation thing Mulan. I cringe every time President Bush says "noo-kyu-ler".

c) force israel to create a palestinian state and to remove all settlements from arab ground.

That won't do a bit of good. They don't want an independent Palestinian state, they want Israel out of the Middle East. If there were an independent Palestinian nation with all Jewish settlements removed from it, it would simply be a staging ground for continuing terrorist attacks on Israel.

d) pump 100 billion dollars in the palestinian area (instead of into this current war) and into the iraqi economy.

Aren't we already pumping billions of dollars into the Middle East when we buy their oil?

e) force saudis to stop supporting terrorism.

It ain't just the Saudis. It's all of them. Every nation that has "destroy the Great Satan America" Muslim extremists and won't do anything to stop them is supporting terrorism. Just how in the hell are we supposed to force them to stop supporting terrorism? Ask really nicely and say pretty please? Sorry, but it just don't work that way. The only thing these jackasses understand is brute force. And they've got front row seats to quite a show of exactly that right now. What's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan is the only deterrent we have short of nukes and they know damn well that Bush isn't afraid of going even that far.

If I were president the Iraqi war would have already been over. Turkey's bullsh*t wouldn't be a problem either. Ask once, they say no, I would have said "fine, kiss your foreign aid welfare goodbye" and proceeded without use of their bases and airspace. Once Saddam Hussein's and Osama Bin Laden's asses were swinging from trees in front of the White House every last American would be leaving the Middle East. Drilling would commence in the ANWR, environmentally friendly of course, and I'd tell OPEC where they could shove their oil. And for good measure, I'd tell the U.N. to get the hell out of New York in 48 hours and turn their little slice of real estate into a NASCAR speedway.

Oh and I'd have some pretty hot interns to keep me company and I wouldn't lie about it.

Mike.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Thanks for mentioning the pronunciation thing Mulan.

On that same subject, last night on CNN, Connie Chung said the 101st cal-vary over and over and over. I thought I would scream. She was interviewing Christiane Amanpour, who said it correctly (cav-al-ry) and precisely, but she didn't get it, and the next sentence it was calvary again.

Maybe it's just me. I should have been an English teacher.

• animal
    animal

It is said differently in different parts of the country..... thats why we just say "CAV".

Animal

• Satanus
    Satanus

Calvary, isn't that where jesus hung out?

Calgary, where cowboys and indians hang out.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit