If you were President????

by LB 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

Lots of opinions here on this site. But I haven't seen anyone post an alternative to this war.

I know many of you support it and many others recoil at the thought of this war. But just say that you are in Bush's shoes. What would you do? Would you do anything at all? I would love to hear from some of the more outspoken critics here such as Trauma_Hound. I won't bash anyone here for their opinion on this topic.

I'm at a loss as to what course is needed to be taken. I think that maybe we do have to do this war. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

It's no secret which side I'm on. However, I am not happy to see war come, just the opposite. I do feel it is necessary, but wish it wouldn't have become so.

I can't say I would be doing much different than Bush has done, except, maybe approached the situation stronger a few months ago. I don't know if it would have been any different, but my diplomacy would have been a stronger approach with the other nations to get them to see that a united front along with the threat of what is currently going on could have been the best way to avoid it.

At the risk of once again being labled Bush Robot, Warmonger, idiot, or whatever todays catch word is, I think Bush is doing a good job and am very thankful I'm not in his shoes having to make these decisions. If it were Gore or Clinton having to take this stand, as much as I disliked their administration, they too would be receiving my support to get the job done.

• berten
    berten

Why this "urge" of Bush and his clique to "liberate" Iraq? There was never an immediate threat

to the US coming from that country,and the terrorist link is also far from certain,and if he had WMD's

why is Saddam not using them now? Maybe because he does not have any of them in stock anymore?

And it's so hypocrytical:Now the warmongers are oh so concerned about the Iraqi people which is just

a very convenient excuse to invade.

So if I was president I would not destabilize that region any further...

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

First off, I wouldn't have scurted UN mandate.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

LB you may want to peruse the following books, 'Pawns In The Game" by William Guy Carr and William Cooper's "Behold A Pale Horse".

Guest 77

• Realist
    Realist

alternative steps for bringing peace to the region:

a) keep the embargo on military equipment but lift it for food, medical supply, machines etc.

b) increase the number of weapons inspectors and keep them in iraq indefinitely. expand the no fly zones over all of iraq.

c) force israel to create a palestinian state and to remove all settlements from arab ground.

d) pump 100 billion dollars in the palestinian area (instead of into this current war) and into the iraqi economy.

e) force saudis to stop supporting terrorism.

etc.pp

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I would handle Iraq the same way we handle Iran. The Iran NonProliferation act works fairly well for our interests. If I saw actual proof that Iraq is threatening the USA I would present it to congress in an open session. And then I would kick Iraq's ass. But if it wasn't I would probably more concerned about engaging N Korea in a dialogue and making sure I still had a few MX missles ready to turn Pyongyang into pavement.

Then I would get many many fine looking female interns to work for me. They would take care of my every whim in order to assure my well being. In fact I would collect them from all over the world in order to help my knowledge of cultures. I would free all non violent drug offenders in federal prison and order a CIA hit on Carrot Top. I would tax churches.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

Whatever it takes to get gas prices down to 12 cents a gallon...im all for it.

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

In George Washington's Farewell Address of 1796, his advice was to be friends of all and show favoritism to nobody. http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/washing.htm

"In the execution of such a plan, nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations, and passionate attachments for others, should be excluded; and that, in place of them, just and amicable feelings towards all should be cultivated. The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred or a habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable, when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur. Hence, frequent collisions, obstinate, envenomed, and bloody contests. The nation, prompted by ill-will and resentment, sometimes impels to war the government, contrary to the best calculations of policy. The government sometimes participates in the national propensity, and adopts through passion what reason would reject; at other times it makes the animosity of the nation subservient to projects of hostility instigated by pride, ambition, and other sinister and pernicious motives. The peace often, sometimes perhaps the liberty, of nations, has been the victim."

My opinion is the reason we don't act like this is because it isn't in the interests of big business. The US military is nothing but hired thugs for whatever big business is calling for at the time. Oh yeah, they sell it like it's the righteous thing to do. I guess it's also righteous to continue holding "detainees" in Cuba without being charged. It's no wonder the whole world is pissed at us.

We should have no troops outside of the US. The only possible scenario I could think of is where an invaded country is crying out for help. We are only encouraging terrorism with our bullying tactics. That we were attacked because of our foreign meddling is obvious to me. It really doesn't matter though, because the US government will do whatever is in the interests of big business. End of story.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

No Forces outside of the U.S??--tell me where this magical land is?

Where countries will respect each other if we ask nicely

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit