Do you remember when you realised it was all bulls£&t

by moley 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Right after overlapping generations (2010).

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

When I realized that the identifying mark of "love among themselves" was not present and the faith was built on the wacky views of some heaven aspiring dimwits that wrote pseudo intellectual/scriptural books, the contents of which had expiration dates built into them.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Long answer:

2008 I already felt there was no love and had doubts but it was the memorial so... A friend also struggling with depression and other stuff wanted to go to it but not ours so we went to the Spanish speaking one.

In a foreign language it all suddenly seemed a bit ridiculous and pointless watching complete strangers passing plates and goblets up and down the rows with no one having any.

I might have been to a few meetings inbetween I'm not sure but a year later and back in UK attending another memorial I was expecting to feel all warm and fuzzy now I was "back home" but I felt uncomfortable and like I didn't belong. That was my last ever meeting and still no-one has asked if I am ok or why I don't go any more. Zero contact from any of my so called brothers and sisters in almost 10 years now.

Short answer: 2009 memorial

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think it's rarely an "epiphany" moment.

More like a slow burn, until it reaches the point where you just can't deny it anymore.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    I was born into the religion and for years I went through the motions of meeting attendance, field service, baptism, and "studying" the Watchtower so that I could later paraphrase what I highlighted at the meetings, but I never really put in the deep study required to "make the Truth my own," or "prove the Truth" to myself. When I finally did examine the arguments of the Watchtower and the "evidence" they used to support their arguments I slowly realized they were full of shit. After that, I just sat in the back at the meeting and read up on logic, secular humanism, (to build a decent framework to replace what I had been taught all my life) and Harry Potter (for entertainment) until I was finally able to move out of my parent's house.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MOLEY:

It was the 1995 changed teaching on Generation that did it for me. I had several rude awakenings over the years that should have sent me running, but I am a tenacious person. I was viewed badly over my full time job, but thankfully ignored their bullshit.. But, I knew it was OVER when I heard this Generation thing..There was no denying how I felt or ignoring the reality of my wasted time in this stupid religion.

I planned my ‘fade’ and have been out of the JWs for many years!👍🏻

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

In 1989 when we found Crisis of Conscience in the public library, read it until 2am.

Suddenly realised it wasn't a local problem!

• Zoos
    Zoos

After a 20-year absence because of disfellowshipment, it took me five years of sitting in the back row to be forgiven by men. That process of reinstatement was very enlightening. Two years later I DAed and never looked back.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Where I was when I realised it was bullshit?

Yeah, when I first read the 1 November 1995 Watchtower.

The generation that saw 1914 wasn't that anymore, it was just a generation alive now (1995).

And in the same magazine, if someone accused of child sex abuse denies it, then that's that ... it's in Jehovah's hands.

And even then, I didn't say 'it's all bullshit', I just wondered to myself ...

'what if it's all bullshit? ... they (the WTS) have just turned their doctrine on its head just to get out of a corner that they've painted themselves into, plus they're soft on paedo's - WTF?!'

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

We all must be ready to obey.... whether it makes sense or not...

Those famous words... I was there on Sunday WT study when they were first uttered from the platform...

As hard as I think and considering I was already having doubts (Serious doubts) by then.... I can't think of any other single statement or event that had as profound of an effect as this did... Is like I saw my life flash before my eyes in this huge aha! moment. This must have been the only time as a JW where I truly had a "deer in the headlights" look (while life was flashing in front of me)...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit