I Adopted A Pet From The Humane Society

by RAYZORBLADE 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Nikita
    Nikita

What a sweet story Razor!

WHen we lost our best buddy "Jake" in April '99, I was heartbroken. Exactly 2 months later, I went to our County Shelter and adopted "Luke." I walked into the kennels and he was just sitting there, head hung low, didn't look up or anything until I sat down on the floor with him and tried to pet him through the gate. Then, I saw his eyes and his soul spoke to mine! We took him home and it was like he'd never been out side before-he was just the happiest dog ever! I have never had a dog as devoted to me as Luke is. I really believe he looks at me as his savior. I am so glad I went in that shelter on that day and found him! Here are pictures of Jake on left and Luke on right.

Are the pictures showing up?

Nikita

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Nikita, how sweet. I know...when I went to the Humane Society, there were so many pitiful little critters, either abandoned, lost/found, or abused, waiting for a good home.

Little Jake, he looks so adorable, I can see why you'd miss him.

But Luke, he's a handsome dog.

Where I used to live, when Sammy the cockatiel accidentally died, I swear the house was in mourning worse than if it was for a person. Sammy was 15, and was playing unattended with something as seemingly innocuous as a plastic shopping bag. He suffocated, and well...I was a wreck when I found him. I did not hear his talking and singing and flying out to greet me while I made coffee. I always had a treat for him, never disappointing him. So when he died, the entire household bawled their heads off. That night, we went up and got Sunshine, a female cockatiel. She is 4 now, and a real charming little girl. She lives with my former landlord and his nephew.

Now, my little critter, first time today, I held her. She DID NOT like it. But, I tricked her a bit, as I placed honey on my fingertips, so when she'd bite, she'd get a taste of honey, and start licking...then she'd allow me to pet her head and scratch her neck. She obliged but not willingly. I will continue to work with her, and I know she'll be OK, but it'll take time. She's so cute. Loves to sing, and swing from her perch.

Nikita, I'm so glad you have Luke. Pets do enhance our lives. Excellent companions, displaying unconditional love: always .

So if anyone is considering adopting a pet, please do so, but check with your local community animal shelter or humane society. They are dilligent and have the animals' best interest at heart. Just to get the bird, I felt like I was being interogated. But I understand why.

Thanks Nikita, that story was soooo sweet. Give Luke a pet from Rayzorblade.

• Valis
    Valis

Rayzorblade...that is great! After doing much ahem...community service (shoveling dog shit, walking them, helping put them to sleep, feed them, clean cages, etc..)at my local SPCA I also adopted an animal...its always hard even walking in a place like that, which I think is a big reason don't do and adopt more. That's why orgs like the SPCA are smart enough to take their causes out to community events, etc...It always gives you a bit more reverence for animal life when you see how, albeit loving, the conditions are not suitable for any animal...adopt adopt adopt..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I saved my kitten Felix from the humane society. They were gonna put himto sleep the next day! Apparently they had had him for about 4 months and werent gonna keep him much longer. He is great and I am soooooo glad that I got him. Funny story though...

Felix was walking around on me while I was trying to type on my compy. I grabbed him and tossed him to the floor. He started meowing real loud and hissed at me! Needless to say I got a little worried that I might have hurt him and he was coddling his back right leg. I tried to touch it and he hissed at me again!

I picked him up and layed down on the couch and put him on my chest. He went to sleep, crying occasionaly about his leg. 10 minutes later, he scratches his head with the same "hurt" leg, looks at me then jumps off and runs into my room as if nothing happened.

I found it amusing so I thought I would share.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Great stories, I have too many animals as it is ,,,,,,, I wouldnt dare set foot in a shelter because I would end up taking all I could home with me. And I would probably be given divorce papers,,,,,lol,,,, Denny gets tired of my need to have so many animals around. I have it narrowed down to a black lab, my pug, and our cat Sassy. I have had birds and I love the sounds they make. My would love to have a horse again , maybe someday.

PR, you cat looks just like my Tonkey,,,,a cat I had for over 15 yrs , and when we moved she ran off and I never saw her again, I swear the only diff in your cat and mine, is my cat had a black spot on her nose. Your Felix is soooo pretty.

I just lost my 8 month old cat , he got ran over and I am very lonely for him, he was truly special and was always with me, sleeping on my head , jumping on my shoulders and he would rub his face on mine all day if I let him.

Animals truly do give you happiness.

I had some parakeets not long ago but decided to give them to a good friend who feel in love with them. I didnt know that parakeets can be taught to talk.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Thats so nice of you Razorblade. That's a perfect pet when you are living in an apartment.

We have a cairn terrier that we got years ago, and then three years ago a german sheppard, crossed with husky showed up at our doorstep one day. We did everything possible to find the owners, left the description at the humane society, because we didn't want to bring her in there just in case they had to put her down. She is such a beautiful dog and gets along with the little dog. So after a couple of months of not being able to find her owner, we decided to keep her.

Like I said she's a beautiful dog, she likes to protect our home, and she is great when we go camping. We don't have to be afraid when she's around. She has chased skunks and been sprayed , she's chased a bear up a tree, she's become our protector.

We become her protector when there is a thunderstorm, that's the only time she ends up in our bedroom on our bed, trembling.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I've adopted several over the years. Usually, though, we end up with those that others are planning to take to the shelter, or the ones that people have set "free" to live in the country.....almost surely a death sentence, btw.

I trapped, neutered, and kept several ferals that were starving and coming to our place for food. Then, last year, we lost several of our older cats (late teens), and I went to the shelter to look for "a" replacement cat. While there, I checked out a 15-year-old who had been neglected and abandoned, and who had spent a year at the shelter because everyone felt that she was too old. So....I adopted her as well as one other cat. Both of them are doing really well.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Way to go Razor! Hope you and your new friend continue to do well together.

We have adopted and rescued a few dogs and cats over the years. Now that I no longer drop $$$ into a little box at a building with no windows - Humane Society and NW Harvest get my donation dollars. Sabine and I are attending the Seattle Humane Society Tuxes and Tails event next month.

http://www.seattlehumane.org/events.htm

When I typed in the word parakeet, I came across this sick-humored site:

http://www.petsorfood.com/birds.shtml

We are in-between pets right now - but used to have a west highland terrier and a bichon friese.

All best,

Mak

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi razor,

does your parakeet have a name? (maybe i missed it - reading quickly cause i have to go).

i adopted 2 female kittens from the same litter. called them "pip" and "squeak". i had pip for ll years, lost squeak a couple of years ago at l8. still think she will come running to me at times.

congratulations. enjoy.

nowisee

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Thanks for all the posts, looks like many people on this forum are like-minded in regards to their kindness towards animals.

Nowisee - I don't have a name for her. She is yellow and is a female.

I was thinking of two names, albeit lame, but suggestions are welcome. I am thinking: Busy or Sissy.

She is doing well, but seems more active in the early evening, and has been enjoying music/radio or a CD. I played Billie Myers and she was chirping up a storm.

Loves honey, but in a long and roundabout way, it was to saciate her while I tried to hold her. I'm going to keep doing this for a few minutes a day. Eventually, she'll be comfortable outside of the cage and with humans.

Loving her and giving her comfort and joy and a nice clean cage with food and toys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit