I Adopted A Pet From The Humane Society

by RAYZORBLADE 31 Replies latest jw friends

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Razor:

I never dreamed they would have parakeetsLOL Thundr and I use to raise cockatiels the bad thing is that we would onl place them with people we knew and I would fall in love with the babies so we kept way to many. So enjoy your birdie and if don't use the paper with grit on it or grit covered perches it hurts their feet just give her a little cup of gravel and a small stone to trim her beak

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Sheila, yeah...no covered perches. I have also heard how damaging it can be to their little feet/claws.

I do have a cuttlebone for her, some gravel in a small container, and of course: seeds, water and millet.

Toys: she has 3 of those, and I found a small mirror, but she doesn't seemed interested in it, yet.

I hold her everyday for 5 minutes. She DOES NOT like this, as she has probably never been held, so she's very afraid. When I lived at my former residence, the owner had a male cockatiel (Sammy). He was never held, so it took ages for him to become socialized with people. He talked a blue streak and was quite a character.

This parakeet, never been held, and OH...the noise when I get hold of her. I put some honey on my fingertips so that when she goes to bite, she gets a taste of that...and starts licking the honey...cute huh?

I'm going to get her a honeystick today, and some vitamins (for the water). She is very active at night which is odd, and she'll hang upside down from the swing. So she seems to be happy. She chitters at certain songs on the radio, and I keep the cage door open when I am at home.

She is eating and drinking her water, so that's a good sign.

Sheila, I have to admit, had they had a cockatiel there, I would have adopted it. My apartment would begin to look like an aviary. Anyways, one bird for here, is sensible, because I can give this little yellow bird, plenty of attention and a good home.

I love the stories and pictures you have all shared. Makes me smile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit