I Adopted A Pet From The Humane Society

by RAYZORBLADE 31 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Makena1 - that site was so bad - but of course, spoof site.

Not going to place my little critter in the oven. Just on my shoulder and on her perch.

Some of the sites on-line, are left to the imagination sometimes and warped senses of humour.

But I did 'get' the joke .

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Congrats on your new pet.

Hope you enjoy her. What a sweetie you are.

• layla
    layla

Well I never thought about it , but I think It was a great idea...

Enjoy your new pet!!!!!!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Fantastic! So when do we get to see a picture? Hmmmmm?

I'm not good at pet names, but a friend of mine named her female bird Sassy. I don't know if that fits or not, but you never know.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Has anyone on the forum, adopted a pet from their local humane society?

Yes. We went to look for a dog; in particular, a dachshund (my first husband and my daughters and I all love that breed). We found a very old dachshund. When we asked about him, the Humane Society keeper said, "You don' t want him. He's at least 15 years old".

We did want him. Very much so. We took him home. We gave him the best life we could. Eventually, he trained us to do exactly what he wanted. Such as feed him pizza, spaghetti and raw carrots. Allow him to sleep on the couch all day and with my daughters at night.

We loved him with all our hearts.

After three years, he developed the disc disease common in older dachshunds. I carried him around for another few months. Then, one night I looked into his eyes. I realized I'd been selfish keeping him alive. The quality of his life was just not there. He was in pain. So I had to put him to sleep. I stood by him the whole time, and cried for months.

I really miss him a lot.

Beryl

• berylblue
    berylblue

Has anyone on the forum, adopted a pet from their local humane society?

Yes. We went to look for a dog; in particular, a dachshund (my first husband and my daughters and I all love that breed). We found a very old dachshund. When we asked about him, the Humane Society keeper said, "You don' t want him. He's at least 15 years old".

We did want him. Very much so. We took him home. We gave him the best life we could. Eventually, he trained us to do exactly what he wanted. Such as feed him pizza, spaghetti and raw carrots. Allow him to sleep on the couch all day and with my daughters at night.

We loved him with all our hearts.

After three years, he developed the disc disease common in older dachshunds. I carried him around for another few months. Then, one night I looked into his eyes. I realized I'd been selfish keeping him alive. The quality of his life was just not there. He was in pain. So I had to put him to sleep. I stood by him the whole time, and cried for months.

I really miss him a lot.

Beryl

• Chaosmama
    Chaosmama

Congrats on your new family member Razor. We have an 8 year old African Grey Parrot, What a riot he is. Never shuts up lol..Talks as well as you and me.

Beryl, We have also rescued a miniature long hair Dachshund, he is such a joy and a wonderful addition to our family. I feel for ya having to put your companion down tho, I have had to do this twice in my life and it never gets easier.

• nowisee
    nowisee

hmmm,...

baby, birdie, butter, buttercup, butterfly, bruiser, beauty......i seem to be stuck in the B's. oh and susie, for black-eyed susan which is also yellow.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Both of our kitties came from the rescue associations. One from the Animal Shelter, and another from the County Rescue League. Neither pet was free. Neither pet had any shots of any kind. The animal shelter did give us a coupon to use for free spaying. The League does not do this.

Anyone taking a pet should realize that adoption is not inexpensive and it carries with it much responsibility. But, it is soooooooooo worth all the contentment you get from giving and receiving love. Animals are a precious gift to mankind. Those that we can keep near us in our homes, become almost like extended family members. You make concessions for pets...and pets can damage your property.

We got our first very sickly kitten a year ago this past November. We named her Ginger. She had a very bad cold, worms and roundworm, which took several months and a couple hundred dollars to get under control. The second one we got last summer, and named her June. June will soon be a year old, and she has been a very healthy specimen since the very beginning. Ginger is six months older than June and both are indoor cats. We got the second kitten to "help" the first one, because she did not know how to be a cat. She didn't even "meow". It really has helped her and they love to play together. I think pets get lonely too, when their owners are gone all day long.

I've had a variety of dogs and cats as pets during my lifetime, but I favor the feline.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The best animals you can get are from the Humane Society. I love that every day Bob Barker reminds his audience to "spay and neuter their pets."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit