I hope the letter about deleting the Theocratic school is true.

by John Aquila 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Has anyone ever spent time watching Latino t.v.? I have, and I have been struck by the difference in t.v. commercials vs. English language channels. There is absolutely no cynicism, it's all glowing and drippy 'this product will make you so happy!' stuff, with syrupy voices. It's like they're stuck in the early 60's. Is there a lack of skepticism in Hispanic culture? Maybe more respect for institutions?
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "The change will make the meetings far more enjoyable / less unpleasant for many people while also giving them greater control of any messaging. Overall, that's probably going to be more successful ... for them. Maybe not such a great change then."

They're making it real easy to be a hard-core loyalist...

...but alienating the conscious-classers, fakers, and fence-sitters even more.

I suspect there are more of the latter than the former.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"the Spanish crowd tends to be generally speaking less educated and half of the time they don't really understand what is being thought to them"

Racism, anyone? You really get to hear some strange things here! Come on, tell us about how Afro-Americans are, or whites, or redskins, etc.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    FayeDunaway

Has anyone ever spent time watching Latino t.v.?

In my area the idea is still the romantic muscular He-man or He-mans that come and fight for the girl and the winner takes the girl and rides into the sunset and lives happily ever after. Actually in the last hall I attended, I switch to the Spanish before I faded and the Spanish brothers and sisters did look like this;

I'm not kidding.

Image result for novelas old man young girl pic

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Racism, anyone? You really get to hear some strange things here! Come on, tell us about how Afro-Americans are, or whites, or redskins, etc.

I'm hispanic. That is not racism. "Hispanic" isn't a race. It has to do with your cultural upbringing.

You can be pure blond hair, blue eyed Spaniard and be considered Hispanic. You can be pure blood Mayan and be considered Hispanic.

People who say "RACISM" when referring to bigotry against the hispanic culture are either uneducated morons who have no idea what the definition of the words "race" and "hispanic" are, or they're the typical drama queen race baiters that like to turn everything into a controversy.

(P.S. What he said about the education level amongst a majority of Hispanics is true...it's not racism. In fact, because I'm Hispanic and am saying it, there's no way it can even be classified as bigotry. The most you can say is that I'm mistaken about my impression of the statistics. And if I am, I will accept that I am mistaken. You need to watch the PC Police episode of South Park from a couple weeks ago.)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ JohnAquila...

Explains why they're so loyal. :smirk:

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

The change will be viewed as a provision from Jehovah and will be received happily.

I will not make a hit of difference to me as the damn meeting is still almost 2 hours long. It would make me happy if it was reduced to 1 hour, and the Sunday meeting too, and the big assembly 2 days, 10 am to 3 pm. Enough!

I will keep my dream alive.

SL

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Well played.

But when it DOES happen, those brothers will almost certainly say, "This is just more proof of Jehovah's blessing!"

or, "That makes perfect sense!" or some other nonsense.

Doh, let's review: It's a cult!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Looking at the Org's letter, doesn't it look like the Ministry School is being re-named and the "students" will continue to be given one of the three newly created assignments - 1st Call/Return Visit/Bible Study setting?

I think it's a re-branding exercise - nothing more!

They can't stop training the new/serving recruits.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I am hispanic as well. I am 6ft tall, white with brown eyes. I am not as muscular but I sure am working on it. Go live in a hispanic community ( I said live, not visit like a tourist) and go see how much they celebrate their "first generation in college".

It is a well know fact among hispanic communities that they do not have the level of education opportunities as other kids have. My wife was a migrant worker since age 12 and so are most of my co-workers. I am in the IT field but most of my co-workers worked in farms picking fruit to contribute to their families. Go watch the movie McFarland USA and then ask any hispanic if the movie has any resemblance with reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit