I hope the letter about deleting the Theocratic school is true.

by John Aquila 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    I am also impressed ( I probably should not be but can't help it) on how little information there is about TTATT in Spanish.

The Spanish JWs are less-inviting to any organization-opposing information. I find I have to be real careful with the way I speak to them. When I say something contrary to the organization and I see their pupils starting to dilate, I immediately excuse my “Spanish speaking” as not very proficient. Their eyes go back to normal and they excuse what I say. They are more hard core in my opinion.

I wonder who had more success in waking up to TTATT, English JWs or Spanish JWs?

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Ray Franz was in the Spanish congregation. ;)
  • jonza
    jonza

I woke up my Spanish speaking (Mexican) gf... but it was a long hard process. Full of emotion, her getting so 'offended' at anything remotely negative I said. Eventually, I had to sit down with some WTs with her, and go through the 'accurate' Bible verses they quote and point out good things they say , and then point out the Bible verses they use that have nothing to do with what they're teaching. That went a long way to help her waking up. Also, by going through the Bible carefully and studying it's meaning. It still took the better part of a year, with most days spending literally hours talking about it. Now, she hates it with a passion, but still has some of the fears to shake off.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I think the English crowd tends to be more kin to wake up as the language barrier just isn't there. Just as much as they understand the teachings, they can easily understand TTATT. On top of that, the Spanish crowd tends to be generally speaking less educated and half of the time they don't really understand what is being thought to them. I just came from visiting family and I can hear the conversations going on (one of them an elder) and you can tell they don't fully grasp the teachings of the organization they so faithfully support. They are also less interested and less trusty of governments and the media as a whole so it is very easy for them to agree with the WT teaching about the satanic media. Another problem... I know a lot of hispanic families but out of all of them, I don't know that many that have not had a child abuse problem within the family. Sweeping the issue under the rug also tends to be the default reaction, which aligns with the idea that we should hush any issues within the congregation, not to make Jehovah look bad. Or uncle or dad. I am not saying that hispanics are perverts. Is just their social condition and upbringing makes the problem bigger. If you speak to any of them they would tell you that they abhor child abuse (sounds familiar?). In turn, very few of them know how much of an issue it is around their own families. Those who do, keep it quite because they were brought to think is taboo to speak about it.

I definitely think we need a jwfacts in Spanish. It is where the org is getting more success and we have little resources in that language. I wrote to Paul Grundy asking for permission to translate his articles but he never replied.

P.S.: Just curious.. being a JW in a Spanish congregation for over 10 years, I can tell you that we make a strong point out of Acts 4:13. We basically praise people for being uneducated rather than remarking that Acts 4:13 is meant to show that the holy spirit was acting upon the people. Is this the same in the English JW?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Spanish speakers are definitely more staunch when it come to religion. I think at the core of the issue is the average level of education of the Hispanic JW compared to the education of the English speaker. Another big factor, and possible emanates from the previous statement, is that the apostate literature, good websites about TTATT, and biblical scholarship is far more prevalent in English than it is in Spanish.

I can make a bet that within 10 years Hispanics are going to be a majority in JW land. If they are already, their proportion will increase even more, resulting mostly from English speakers defections, more than from Hispanic additions.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I'm pretty confident that the meeting changes are solid intel.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

StarTrekAngel

P.S.: Just curious.. being a JW in a Spanish congregation for over 10 years, I can tell you that we make a strong point out of Acts 4:13. We basically praise people for being uneducated rather than remarking that Acts 4:13 is meant to show that the holy spirit was acting upon the people. Is this the same in the English JW?

Yes it’s the same in the English. The GB’s directions to avoid College affects the English as well. So they praise those that stay uneducated and demonize those that go to a University.

Unless it’s the University of Phoenix then it’s ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmBSoVThoKY

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Yeah, I know the no education thing is widespread. I was just wondering if there was such an emphasis on the book of Acts because sometimes the translation makes a big difference. In Spanish, Acts 4:13 does not simply make the apostles sound uneducated, it makes them look like morons as well.
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I once texted a Mexican friend of mine that I was going over to the Bible Students and that I was planning on DA'ing. I then got a volley of texts back on FDS and light getting brighter plus Math 24:14 on preaching. The poor guy thinks he has it all figured out. This coming from someone with a college degree vs myself the tradesman. His whole family works for him, TTATT would be devastating to him. I no longer keep in touch and hope he spread the rumor as to my being 'apostate' Oh and many come from Catholic backgrounds rank with superstition.

On edit : Rays works are available online in many languages now.
  • Warwickslave
    Warwickslave

@startrekangel es muy cierto iletrados y del vulgo. Tiene un concepto que son gente analfabeta.

I think we need spanish section here it would be helpful.

@never a jw Spanish already has more publishers around the world then English. They already the majority.

Going back to my two week stint at Warwick the English bro's with tell me we are building this because of Spanish having so many new ones. My roommate that was from Kentucky said they haven't had a new publisher from the territory in over 5 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit