Elder Arrested For Decades Long Abuse

by Sea Breeze 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I'm saying that I believe his accusers.

Maybe you are right but maybe you are wong. Believe whatever makes you happy.

I didn't say that every accusation against any person is true.

Or false either You just don’t know in this case. But you can believe it if you like it. Albeit your beliefs, the prosecutor decided they don’t have enough evidence to prosecute. Which doesn’t mean to me that this guy is not guilty, he could be or anybody else of anything. And just because someone is acquitted doesn’t mean he is really innocent and just because someone is convicted doesn’t mean he is actually guilty. But that is the official determination.

So, legally this guy is not guilty because charges were dropped and he wasn’t found guilty by a tribunal. In my mind though, I just don’t know without listening to the whole case. I don’t believe he is not guilty because the DA won’t prosecute and I don’t believe he is guilty based on allegations.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Funny you should say that.

As a loyal practicing JW, you’re technically willing to believe and/or disbelieve things on much flimsier foundations.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Fisherman: Maybe you are right but maybe you are wrong.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Fisherman: Or false either You just don’t know in this case.

Which is why I specifically used the word "believe" and not "know."

Second, you said that, according to me "everybody is guilty simply because they are accused." I neither said that, nor did I imply it. Your characterization of me is incorrect, and I don't see a basis for it in anything I said.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Thanks, Captain Obvious.
    I'm saying that I believe his accusers.

So, obviously you missed the point. Believe what you like but you are defeated both legally and logically without evidence to substantiate. The reasons which I spelled out for you: Your belief is what makes you happy. I’m not repeating my reasons again.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    vid - As a loyal practicing JW

JW? Not on your nelly, mate. Not a J anything. FM whom so 'ere they be is/are simply on here to have a laugh. That's why I find FM really amusing.

Heed the words of the Governing Body(tm) (Pee be upon them)......................

July 15, 2011 WT ‘’Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings." ‘’7 What is involved in avoiding false teachers? We do not receive them into our homes or greet them.
    We also refuse to read their literature, watch TV programs that feature them, examine their Web sites, or add
    our comments to their blogs.’’
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

Fisherman: Believe what you like but you are defeated both legally and logically without evidence to substantiate.

This doesn't even make sense. I never made a legal argument. And logically, my reasoning is sound. I guess I won't get an explanation for your mischaracterization of my comment, either.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    You have to wonder how many men like this are out there, who will essentially get away with serial rape for many years, aided by misguided policies and people unprepared to deal with the issue and unwilling to seek help.

compare

(and keep in mind for this case what did wt do wrong as you imply) The DA “being prepared to deal with the issue and help” did not prosecute him.

Which is why I specifically used the word "believe" and not "know."
    Second, you said that, according to me"everybody is guilty simply because they are accused." I neither said that, nor did I imply it. Your characterization of me is incorrect, and I don't see a basis for it in anything I said.
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

The "people unprepared to deal with the issue and unwilling to seek help" was a reference to elders, not prosecutors.

Regarding "for this case," note that the line you highlighted says "men like this." In other words, not this specific case, but situations similar to it.

And none of this explains why you stated that, according to me "everybody is guilty simply because they are accused." Your explanation above does not provide anything remotely like a basis for such a blanket mischaracterization.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Fisherman...you like putting words in peoples' mouths, don't you? I never alluded to guilt or innocence, but was rather stating facts. I have first hand knowledge of the prosecutorial process, and I have had many cases either rejected for filing or pled down so that it didn't ruin the track record of the DA's office. You seem to be quite passionate about this guy, where I could give a rip. If he is guilty, I just hope that he is brought to justice...and if innocent, he is exonerated.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Fisherman:

Why didn’t you post that the charges were dropped on Feb 28, 2023 because of insufficient evidence?

Just an FYI, charges are often dropped "without prejudice" because of time issues in an investigation. By doing that, a DA can re-file charges at a later date. From what I read about the February decision, the case is still being investigated. It will be interesting to see how it ultimately shakes out, but for now the guy is innocent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit