Jonestown

by Akid48 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• carla
    carla

Dear Akid,

I worry about you. You should be out having fun being a kid not having to worry about all this jw crap.

Wishing you the best.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think it will not be at all like Jonestown.

But I do think that after the Governing Body members run off with a few million dollars apiece to their tropical condominiums on islands without extradition and leave instructions to carry on without them, we will have to keep on suicide watch as the members figure out that they have been duped.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Akid you were thinking......... not sitting there and buying into the JW crap. None of your questions are a problem............. all of them are worth an honest response.

Your thinking.....we are thinking. We get to a point where our paths cross.

Hey guy your on to something .....a search for truth......let's see where this can go.

• NJ501
    NJ501

I think your question was good to ask, I've wondered it myself.

I don't believe the Jones town event will happen to JW's but I think when a lot of people eventually find out their truth was not real...There maybe a lot of suicides because they lost their hope.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I second Carla

Take a good look at JWFacts so you can strengthen your resolve, then move on. Focus on better things: planning your future and education for example.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

AKID:

No, I can't see JWs going down the Jonestown route.

I think there are too many hidden JWs with doubts about their religion and they'd never fall for this. Also, in Jonestown, some people were forced to drink the potion.

While there may be a lone JW whacko here and there, I sincerely doubt the majority of JWs would follow anybody in a mass suicide pact.

OTWO:

Even though I don't and never have held any of those guys in any kind of regard, I would really be shocked if anybody did this.

• Simon
    Simon

JWs are a long way from the murder / suicide pact end of the religious spectrum. The closest they come is the blood issue but that is arguably biblical based but mostly abandoned for all intent and purpose.

There are religions that regularly send their followers to kill and commit suicide. JWs are far from the biggest problem.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I can make a reference to the Kim and Mike videos. On one of the videos, they reflected on a conversation between some lady in one of the congregations and some other lady in the congregation.

The conversation went on, I am not sure of the exact wording of the conversation, but went along the lines about the resurrection. They mentioned that if new Light came out about the only way to the New System was that of the resurrection. The conversation mentioned that if the GB made you commit suicide by some means would you do it, to gain access to the New System via the resurrection!!!! Well, without hesitation, with a resounding YES, both said they would commit suicide, to gain access to the New System!!

I am not sure if a Jonestown situation could happen, but a Mass Suicide event could take place. That was what was in one of the Kim and Mike videos. They were referring to how Brain-Dead the JW's could be, and those were Mikes words, Brain-Dead. That's what they were referring to, and what a ghastly, spectre of a possibility could take place.

• steve2
    steve2

Beth Sarim, with all due respect, third hand quoting of what JWs said to each other in the unlikely event that they were told the only way into the new system is through resurrection is a desperate line of reasoning.

Unfortunately, Mikey and Kim make a lot out of these sorts of far-fetched not-gonna-happen scenarios.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit