Who Was The Biggest Jackass Circuit Overseer You Ever Met?

by Sea Breeze 88 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Foolednomore: Seems like uber jwdub make the biggest assholes.

Well, that just makes them like most people. Those who are most dedicated to something will judge others as falling short of their standard. And the more fervent they are, the harder it is for them to hide it. I have to say, though, that most of the uber JWs I knew weren't MS or elders.

I don't recall any particular overseer who stood out as a jerk during my time as a JW. But there were a number of elders who definitely fit the mold. Some people will see the promotion to MS or elder as a chance to serve, and others will see it as a position of authority. The latter are often very difficult to deal with, as they tend to do the least (to help the congregation) but demand the most (deference and respect). They were usually very vain men, the sort who spent more time worrying about their hairline than about the congregation's needs.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

I was in a hall when a fellow MS confided in me that he was depressed, lacklustre and totally spiritually bereft.

Two weeks later the CO came and he was appointed as an elder!!

He had the decency to come and see me and tell me how bizarre the whole situation was...

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@vienne,

With all due respect, please follow your own advice. I couldn't help but notice that in your denunciation you failed to even acknowledge the clear biblical teaching I provided about what the New Covernant is for:

And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. - Mt. Ch. 26

You know as well as I do the JW's do not believe this applies to them. They are told that this offer of forgiveness of sin debt is not directed to them.

I will write you a check right now for $1,000.00 to the charity of your choice if you can provide one NT scripture that describes how a person can get their sins forgiven OUTSIDE of the New Covenant.

Again, please follow your own advice and provide something biblical as I did just before you accused me of not providing anything biblical.

Gas lighting just makes you appear mentally weak.

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

stan livedeath said:

the daftest one i ever met --in the UK --was John Blaney.

That's a blast from the past. He stayed in our house when I was a kid but I don't remember much about him, except he left loads of his stuff with us and it was ages before we could get rid of it. I always remember the "I'm an ambassador" and COD stories that he liked to tell. Whether they were true or not I don't know. Wasn't there a picture of him in Mill Hill Bethel entrance for a while? Anyway the mention of the name sent shivers down my spine.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    the daftest one i ever met --in the UK --was John Blaney.

We had him as CO back in the 1950's. There was also his brother whose name I forget.

George

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

There were several truly awful Circuit Overseers that I had the misfortune to meet. One of the worst was a guy named William Osbeck, a truly horrible man and a serial liar. There was also a guy name Christian that had abused his wife and his children, and was about as arrogant as you'll ever see.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

we have had similar threads like this a few times.

2 names i have listed elsewhere--but no one has commented on them.

Both in the UK--in the 60's and 70's.

Graham Carmichael--a cheerful Scotsman who was partial to a drink or 10

Oliver Mc Donald--English with a very odd personality.

Does anyone else remember them ? (or was it all a bad dream ? )

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

In the 80's in Australia, we had Vincent Toole as C.O. As a kid, I thought he was ok - but then again- kids are idiots.

During the ARC he came across as a bit vain and out of touch.

• Walter
    Walter
    I will write you a check right now for $1,000.00 to the charity of your choice if you can provide one NT scripture that describes how a person can get their sins forgiven OUTSIDE of the New Covenant

Matthew 9,2-7

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    the daftest one i ever met --in the UK --was John Blaney.…..
    He was not daft. He was brilliant but also strange, bizarre. He had a gi- normous ego and truly a “one- off” . There was never another like him.

Despite his faults , I woould love to see someone remotely like him today to break up the blandness…

[edit.. sorry about the formatting and crazy quotes.. they came with original quote and I can’t get rid of them ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit