where shall we go

by Sabin 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

Pete Zahut
    John 6:68, Lord, whom shall we go away to?
    This question was directed to Jesus himself. In many ways, the Watchtower Society has superimposed itself into Jesus role as mediator between God and mankind and they use this scripture to make it seem as if there is no way in our modern world for a person to maintain a relationship with God or Jesus ,without them being involved.

Pete, you never disappoint with your logic. Love it.

I know it was an enormous relief to me to realize that the scripture says whom not where.

Since the Bible is the book of Christianity and Jesus is the star of the book so to speak, that is a very logical thing to be written there. Who else indeed?

The JWs have tried their best to make it seem like they are "the ones" and there is no where else to go.

Funny how one small word can make such a difference in context.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Millie, you never disappoint with YOUR logic, either!!!

Actually I love this whole thread.

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you Faye - it is very mutual!

I agree - loving this thread also.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Ah, the classic "where shall we go?" Not only is it a misapplication of scripture it's a cult mind control technique. I remember many JWs saying that exact thing, I used to think it myself. Have doubts? We're you badly treated by the elders? Do you miss your family that have left? You could leave, but:

Cult Technique : Deception

The world is bad/scary dangerous and is getting worse every day. There is no hope for mankind.

Cult Tecnique: Fear and intimidation

You will turn into an evil apostate with no faith and no hope and you will die at Armageddon.

Cult Technique: exclusivism

You could join another church, but other religions are false and disgusting. Only we have the truth, there is no place to go but here.

Cult Tecnique: Relationship Control

If you leave you will loose all your family and all your friends.

• Illuminated
    Illuminated
    WT is similar to pedophiles on many levels, along with abusive partners who tell their partner they won't be wanted by anyone else besides them.
  • vinman
    vinman

Mind control is so powerful. It starts to control you immediately. Like this point about "where will you go?" That seed of thought is planted when someone new sees an article entitled, "How can I find the true religion?" on jw.org. Immediately, the question sucks you into thinking that their is a true religion, even if you have never contemplated such a thought. A false premise. A person then becomes a witness. It is then assumed that truth is found within a physical organization somewhere. He discovers TTATT and he is stuck with that mind controlling question. And Yes, millie210, I too found it a relief to to see the word "whom". Talk about mind control!! I am such an idiot.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow! He REALLY said that?

I wish Angus Stewart and the Royal Commision had that quote at their disposal!

That would have cemented their reasoning and questioning when they implied that it is "A captive organisation".

Those sorts of comments are "bullying and harassment" at its lowest form!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    abusive partners who tell their partner they won't be wanted by anyone else besides them.

Thats an interesting anology illuminated and a very apt one, really throws the cruel behaviour of Wtbts into sharp relief.

• millie210
    millie210
    vinman
    Mind control is so powerful. It starts to control you immediately. Like this point about "where will you go?" That seed of thought is planted when someone new sees an article entitled, "How can I find the true religion?" on jw.org. Immediately, the question sucks you into thinking that their is a true religion, even if you have never contemplated such a thought. A false premise. A person then becomes a witness. It is then assumed that truth is found within a physical organization somewhere. He discovers TTATT and he is stuck with that mind controlling question. And Yes, millie210, I too found it a relief to to see the word "whom". Talk about mind control!! I am such an idiot

You my friend are far from an idiot but isnt it amazing how captive we were to that thought, misquoted and all?

I cant believe I didnt catch that before it was pointed out to me. That is one of the great things about this site. There is a greater penchant for accuracy here.

Pretty ironic.

• Sabin
    Sabin

PeteZ, Luke 11: 46, I think would be an appropriate scripture here "Woe to you who are versed in the law, because you load men with loads hard to be borne, but you yourselves do not touch the loads with one of your fingers!

I must confess I didnt even think about the particular wording, I just thought how wrong it was to use scriptures to pull people down when they should be used as a comfort. You are quite right though to point this out.

WHOM- relative pronoun, person-Jesus.

WE - personal pronoun, subject-disciples.

YOU - personal pronoun, 2nd person being spoken of by 1st person.

Interestingly Whom is used here as it is formal as opposed to Who which is neutral. Giving more weight to the scriptures subject Jesus.

I have learnt something new today. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit