where shall we go

by Sabin 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sabin
    Sabin

Yesterday I read something that hurt my heart. At a talk given by a Brother Lyman Swingle ( I apologize if I am stepping out of line by using this) he said "that if you leave the JW ( I find it difficult to refer to it as the truth now days) you may as well go jump off a bridge". This I think is disgraceful talk to say to any body let alone an audience in which children are present. It got me thinking of a particular scripture that is thrown at us over & over for years & one that parents quite often use on their offspring.

John 6:68, Lord, whom shall we go away to?

In the context that JW`s use this scripture there is some truth to it, however not in the way we have been taught to believe it. The simple fact is our friends, family, whole social life has been constructed for us by this captive religion so when we wish to leave we literally have no where to turn. We will be alone & that is not something that we as humans don`t relish in fact it scares us silly.

Concerning Prov 18:1, where it speaks about the one isolating himself is seeking his own selfish longing, that may also apply here, as we have been deliberately isolated from all norms of society & not allowed to mix being that we were part of the chosen. HAHA. Also if our thoughts & actions don't line up with the Borgs then we become unworthy associates & as a result are forced into isolation with the intention of making us feel alone & ashamed, thus forcing us back with our tails between our legs, down ward spiral of depression, suicidal. All the time having these kind of scriptures thrown at us or playing over in our minds.

For anyone here struggling as I know I do myself at times I hope this will help you to reason that these so called religious nut cases are in fact nothing more than a bunch of unfeeling, uncaring, uncompassionate, lying BASTARDS. Who knowingly take these scriptures out of context in order to keep us feeling that we are unworthy & afraid to look else where for the support we may need & reject the friends we may find to help us through life.

WE are not the problem & we can & will find many good friends & much support outside of the self righteous congregations of JW. Take a deep breath & small steps. We are many.

• cappytan
    cappytan

No problem using this.

All in all, I really liked Brother Swingle.

But that talk affected me. At the time I nodded my head in agreement. But later, after waking up I remembered it and it affected me deeply.

• kairos
    kairos

Thanks for this post.
    Feeling a bit down today.

Where shall we go? Anywhere they ain't!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good old fashion fear mongering to support and solidify power and control toward a bunch poorly educated old ignorant men.

.......and the consequences are ?????

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Thanks for that inspiring post Sabin.
  • iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hey Sabin,

Thank you so much for your post. It is so handy to hear these things because we can understand our own programming and those around us.

I hear people using this reasoning all of the time. My mother who knows how I feel says it to me. I tell her that they have replaced Jesus and so people think by leaving the borg they are leaving Jesus.

The truth is Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name I will be with them.

We just need to connect with our Lord - which they have taken from us and replaced with a rule book and themselves.

God bless you on your journey.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    cult speak at its worst
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

Lyman Swingle should have known better. But then again, I can't say with certainty what his state of mind was in terms of actually twisting scripture or going with the majority.

Who we learned the good news of the Christ and the fundamental biblical truth should be of no consequence to you or anyone that is aware of the false teachings of the WTS. If that includes Lyman, then so be it.

Jehovah God knew we would experience this and therefore, we can take comfort in the following scriptures:

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 - ...

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,[a] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[b]”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

And ..... 2 Corinthians 10:1-6 - ......

I myself, Paul, appeal to you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!— 2 I ask that when I am present I need not show boldness by daring to oppose those who think we are acting according to human standards.[a] 3 Indeed, we live as human beings,[b] but we do not wage war according to human standards;[c] 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not merely human,[d] but they have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments 5 and every proud obstacle raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to obey Christ. 6 We are ready to punish every disobedience when your obedience is complete.

And .....John 8:32 - ......

...and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.

And .....John 8:40 - ......

....but now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Anywhere that the idea of 'lying for the truth' is given it's due disrespect
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

John 6:68, Lord, whom shall we go away to?

This question was directed to Jesus himself. In many ways, the Watchtower Society has superimposed itself into Jesus role as mediator between God and mankind and they use this scripture to make it seem as if there is no way in our modern world for a person to maintain a relationship with God or Jesus ,without them being involved.

If a persons belief in God and Jesus is still intact once exiting from JW's , they can turn to them the same as they did before.

Lyman Swingle said it outloud and very unkindly, however the Governing Body today is much more P.C. (in public) and has claimed recently that it would be presumptuous of them to think that they are the only humans being directed by God. They even say (publicly) that they are not the only ones who will survive into "the new system" yet they make it very difficult, if not impossible for anyone to go about achieving this outcome, from another approach, without losing the network of friends and family they've spent a lifetime building.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit