Woke Oscars cringe

by LoveUniHateExams 50 Replies latest social current

• iXav
    iXav

Are people in this forum really ok with this sort of tone ? 2021 and calling people ‘blacks’ and complaining about people of colour being on screen?

Okay, I'll be your Huckleberry. What should we call them if not blacks? You did not like it when they were called, even by themselves, N---ers. You whine if they are called Negro. And the term "person of color" can also be used for Caucasians as they are WHITE, according to the PC crowd. And if they are a "person of color"...WHAT color? And I also do not like the idea of blacks being inserted into movies just because they are black and it fits the "woke" agenda. It is just as offensive to me and senseless as inserting QWERTY characters in movies and television strictly because they are "gay".

LOL! You know that is not what he was talking about. His whole point is that some people feel that having black or so called POC in movies is being Woke and out of place. Why doesn't it bother the poster so much. If you don't like it don't watch.

• iXav
    iXav
    It goes both ways, of course. I'm a right-winger and want immigration to be controlled and illegal immigrants deported. But if some right-wing actor said during his acceptance speech that he wanted illegal immigration stopped, I'd be like 'What. The. F**k?! This is a film awards not the Daily Politics - f**k off from the stage, you tosser.'

What you said sound correct but it doesn't make sense in the real world. If you want to go down that road, Hollywood will likely stop making films.

If I quote you "Hollywood is about making good movies and entertaining people. Giving priority to current political opinions is ridiculous"

The issue with that comment is that entertainment or what we find appealing is often linked to our daily reality. Charlie Chaplin made films about the Nazi occupation during the second world war, what that Woke and out of place. Saving Private Ryan was another great film but it has its root in politics and the propaganda of defeating the Nazis.

Even the great Shawshank Redemption was a film about social injustice where you end up in prison and the system takes advantage of you. You can't just separate social issues from entertainment and insert them when it suits you. The only option left will likely be Science Fiction and not everyone will consider that to be entertainment.

You just need to consider maybe one of your favorite films to see how involve it is in daily reality

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don’t consider Black Panther a woke film because that character isn’t new, but it wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. I feel it was hyped as “Black” when they should have just made a super hero movie and made it the best movie possible.

I don’t recall it being racist towards white people which is a sign of being “woke” it seems..🤔

Movies are tough because the concept may be great, or maybe there’s a great story in a book, but it may not translate to film, or the timing could be wrong and it’s not well received, ect.

Worse than the above is telling people they must like a film because it’s “Black” or cranking out all black shows and demanding everyone like them or they are racist.

There are some good shows out there with all manner of people in them and no “racist” overtones or wokeness. It’s time to shut up about race and make a good product, which is what movies are. Yet, it seems that some persons who follow certain ideologies just can’t stop drawing attention to race.

Hollywood... make a good product and I’ll buy it. I don’t need you. Hollywood actors need the common people to need them, worship them. Like the Gods of Ancient Greece they need prayers to sustain them. That’s why those actors will do anything, sell any shitty perfume imaginable and screw anyone or anything. They can’t imagine anything worse than having to work at Target.

DD

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There are lots of good movies made, mostly indie. We cant find them much. As for actors, two great ones ( of "color") are Morgan Freeman and Will Smith. they both portray humans rather than caricatures.

• iXav
    iXav
    I don’t consider Black Panther a woke film because that character isn’t new, but it wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. I feel it was hyped as “Black” when they should have just made a super hero movie and made it the best movie possible.

My response about Black Panther was in response to someone who said

"Woke" films don't draw big audiences
  • iXav
    iXav
    Movies are tough because the concept may be great, or maybe there’s a great story in a book, but it may not translate to film, or the timing could be wrong and it’s not well received, ect.

Agree, timing matters

• iXav
    iXav
    There are some good shows out there with all manner of people in them and no “racist” overtones or wokeness. It’s time to shut up about race and make a good product, which is what movies are. Yet, it seems that some persons who follow certain ideologies just can’t stop drawing attention to race.

True. Sometimes the media will also lash out to some stupid aspect of a film and make it all racial even when that wasn't the main subject of the film. Similar to when you have a 5 second nude scene and people lose their minds about Christian values and corrupting the youths.

• kramer
    kramer

kay, I'll be your Huckleberry. What should we call them if not blacks? You did not like it when they were called, even by themselves, N---ers. You whine if they are called Negro. And the term "person of color" can also be used for Caucasians as they are WHITE, according to the PC crowd. And if they are a "person of color"...WHAT color? And I also do not like the idea of blacks being inserted into movies just because they are black and it fits the "woke" agenda. It is just as offensive to me and senseless as inserting QWERTY characters in movies and television strictly because they are "gay".

If you refer to anyone as ‘Blacks’ and refuse to acknowledge the dog whistle racism associated with this use of language then you are either being obtuse or stupid, which are you?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What you said sound correct but it doesn't make sense in the real world. If you want to go down that road, Hollywood will likely stop making films - all I'm asking for is for actors not to cram their acceptance speeches with political stuff.

Most people agree - they don't want political/social messages rammed down their throat when their favourite actor wins an acting award for his acting.

• Simon
    Simon
    Are people in this forum really ok with this sort of tone? 2021 and calling people ‘blacks’ and complaining about people of colour being on screen?

It's a revolving door of terms so honestly, I don't give a shit about getting it right because whatever term you use will be deemed "offensive", even when it's the one that was demanded the week before.

We want to be called black ... black is now offensive

We want to be called colored ... colored is now offensive

We want to be called people of color .... people of color is now offensive

We want to be called black <- you are here

I refuse to call people "African American" as it's simply lacking when it comes to communicating - there are lots of white African Americans after all so what is it meant to mean? Oh right ... "black".

We have words for things, they are basic and understood. White, black, how can one be offensive and one not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit