Woke Oscars cringe

by LoveUniHateExams 50 Replies latest social current

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Actors play roles of characters that they did not create, they didn't write the character's lines, they don't have input into the story or plot. So, why do humans fall all over themselves to worship them?

• iXav
    iXav

I wasn't aware Shawshank Redemption failed at the box office - it didn't fail, strictly speaking.

It didn't make a financial loss.

It just didn't pull in a lot of money, considering it's an excellent film.

Shawshank Redemption budget: $25 million.

Shawshank Redemption box office: $50 million.

^^^ Modest profit, really ...

Shawshank Redemption was a great film and it was entertaining yet only $16 million at the Box office after its initial theatrical run. For Hollywood standard, that is pretty bad. It did make more later.

Those in show business know that a box office flop can kill their career and that is why they make re-runs or whatever woke/traditional film will make them money. Entertaining you is just a consequence of the business.

If you take a look at the highest grossing films list, there is a pattern that works and Hollywood knows that.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Seems so. To me, there has to be a good story first of all, plot, theme, characters, all of it. That's why I'm a book reader.

Movies can tell great stories, too. The characters, actors, setting, storyline can all come alive with good filmmaking.

An example of the same story told in two different films about 30 years apart:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Firstly, this was a book, so the great story was there.

The 1970s version was great. The characters came alive. Gene Wilder played and understated but brilliant Willy Wonka. There were memorable songs, memorable lines.

Do you know how many times I've said, "I want a golden goose, Daddy. And I want it now!" to whiney, entitled children? No? Me, either, but it's a lot.

The Johnny Depp version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory from the aughts was terrible. All the characterization focused on him and left all the others flat. And, his acting was pretty terrible, though the costuming was good. It just wasn't a good film, and it was the same story!

I really appreciate a good film, but it's all got to come together and that just doesn't happen very much for me. So. I don't waste my time much on movies because the ratio of good films to bad is so low.

But I'll watch documentaries all day. I never find them boring.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Johnny Depp is too busy being Johnny Depp to have to worry about actually working at his craft. (Tom Cruise fell down the same rabbit hole). When The Lone Ranger came out one of the critics said it should be called "Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Sparrow goes West"

I think Shawshank is one of the best movies ever made. It has developed a following and the producers are still taking money to the bank.

• kramer
    kramer

Are people in this forum really ok with this sort of tone ? 2021 and calling people ‘blacks’ and complaining about people of colour being on screen?

“We or many of us don't want to watch some woke BS movie where blacks are inserted and out of place and we don't need nor want some stupid BS lesson on inclusion or any other woke crap. Personally I do not watch any movies that have an obvious woke theme or placement of blacks that are out of place and therefor a message. “

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

kramer,

Are people in this forum really ok with this sort of tone ? 2021 and calling people ‘blacks’ and complaining about people of colour being on screen?

Yes, lots are.

Otherwise the poster currently known as 'mickbobcat' would be banned again. He used to go by the name of 'Phoenix Rising' and before that 'TobyJones262'. Both times he was banned .

It's easy to spot his reincarnations as he uses similar phrases and versions of spelling that gives him away, such as 'Hollyweird', 'Kahn' instead of 'Khan', and odd capitals , besides the barely concealed subject manner of course.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think he likes guns and doesn't like black people.

I think you have to put in a formal 'observation' to the 'moderators' or site owner.

Just do a search on the posting history of the three names I gave and you'll see the similarities.

To be fair to the moderators/owner it's a bit like 'whack a mole'.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

For all the folks offended by "wokeness"....maybe visiting here would help?

https://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2021/04/30

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

For all the folks offended by "wokeness" - it's not a question about being offended by wokeness.

Hollywood is about making good movies and entertaining people. Giving priority to current political opinions is ridiculous. Actors are obviously allowed their opinions and beliefs, like the rest of us. But using your acceptance speech to lecture the people who pay your wages (the viewers) is really dumb.

If actors want to become involved in politics, let them leave acting and become politicians, rather than regurgitating trendy opinions gleaned from social media.

It goes both ways, of course. I'm a right-winger and want immigration to be controlled and illegal immigrants deported. But if some right-wing actor said during his acceptance speech that he wanted illegal immigration stopped, I'd be like 'What. The. F**k?! This is a film awards not the Daily Politics - f**k off from the stage, you tosser.'

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Okay, I'll be your Huckleberry. What should we call them if not blacks? You did not like it when they were called, even by themselves, N---ers. You whine if they are called Negro. And the term "person of color" can also be used for Caucasians as they are WHITE, according to the PC crowd. And if they are a "person of color"...WHAT color? And I also do not like the idea of blacks being inserted into movies just because they are black and it fits the "woke" agenda. It is just as offensive to me and senseless as inserting QWERTY characters in movies and television strictly because they are "gay".

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't like being lectured about my privilege by people who make about five hundred times as much as I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit