What triggered your awaking?

by Fadeaway1962 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

The biggest thing for me was the overlapping generations nonsense. You can't explain something that doesn't make sense.

• waton
    waton

the flip flop on the superior authorities 1929. 1960.

• Moster
    Moster

It was learning about Rutherford's drinking, his snuggling up to Hitler, his living in Beth Sharim during the 30's while parishioners could barely feed themselves.

Of course next came, the NGO and the final straw was Franz's book Crisis of Conscience.

See Ya!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I was on this site for a good 8 years before I called it quit. I was happily living in the gray zone, taking what I liked and ignoring the bad stuff. Then, as my kids grew, I realized that I could not discuss this gray zone with my kids. I could not explain to them all the things I didn’t believe and all the bad things the WT does. Doing so would bring about the very real possibility of getting disfellowshipped for apostacy. So, I came to understand that if I stayed, I would effectively hand over my kids to 8 guys in New York that I didn’t even know.

So I quit.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Mine was due to elders interfearing in my family and everything I do. In frustration I came on here to vent and recieved more support from so-called "apostates" than I ever did in the JWs.

Once I read Crises Of Conscience by Ray Franz there was no going back.

Once you realise that the elders have no power over you you stop being so afraid of them. I was disfellowshipped by a bus driver and two window washers.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The child sexual abuse scandal in 2002 was the wake-up moment for me.

I thought it must be rogue or stupid elders, then I read all of the survivor's stories, and they all had common threads: victims were discouraged or forbidden from going to the police, elders telling the victims they must have misunderstood, elders asking victims if they knew they were ruining the reputation of those they were accusing, and disfellowshipping those who spoke up, including Bill Bowen and Barb Anderson.

If the men on the governing body can't get this issue right, how can they be trusted with anything?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If the men on the governing body can't get this issue right, how can they be trusted with anything?

Seems that applies to most things JW (doctrines, prophecies, policies, etc).

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Lack of love and hypocrisy!

Then....we learned TTATT (the truth about the truth). Once you learn TTATT you can NEVER go back!!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

What Long Haired Girl said.

I totally agree. The 1995 generation teaching change. You cannot underestimate the damage this flip-flop had on the Borganization. This was a biggie for me.

&

The cries of the king of the North blah, blah, and when the Soviet Union fell in 1991-92, well...

oh yeah, almost forgot, the lack of love and hypocrisy. Big time.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    It started in 2004 when I was up at Bethel helping painting the interior of the old factory buildings. Walking around Brooklyn I couldn't understand why the wt. had so many buildings they were not using but to house bethelites to maintain the buildings. That really bother me alot! This reality lead me to look into other things because of the doubts this caused

That's an excellent point. Did the watchtower society morph into a corporation that seems more obsessed with real estate using religion as a front to achieve their aims. Is it the case that the love of riches (real estate) has been made the priority over everything. It baffles me why they have so much properties. Their latest ventures in New York's state will have many people wondering why? Why when Armageddon is so imminent. It doesn't make sense to the rank and file looking at things from a faith perspective!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit