What triggered your awaking?

by Fadeaway1962 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I got baptized at 23. My mother became a jdub when I was 16.

I always had some nagging doubts, but the revelation book..it's grand climax at hand really started to wake me up to the BS spewing from watchtower

• under the radar
    under the radar

My awakening started in the 80's when the Book Studies were covering the Revelation book. When we came to the part about this and that trumpet foreshadowing various conventions of the early JWs, I realized they were pulling that crap out of their butts and that it was all BS. I never believed they had the Truth™ after that.

Shortly thereafter, I saw an ad somewhere about "1-800-Why-1914." I called the number and had a nice but brief conversation. They recommended Ray Franz' Crisis of Conscience. I devoured a copy and never looked back. That was it for me! It didn't really tell me anything I hadn't already suspected, but it did confirm some things I'd thought all along.

Since then, my decision to leave the JWs has been confirmed and validated many times. The Borg has devolved into nothing more than a money grubbing mind-control televangelizing cult. No different than Robert Tilton, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, Bennie Hinn, Reverend Ike, Jimmy Swaggart, and the multitude of other charlatans. Not as entertaining as some of them, but just as greedy and duplicitous. Fork 'em all!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BETH SARIM:

Yes, I forgot about the ‘lack of love’ and ‘hypocrisy’ in the JW religion.

Their lack of love falls just short of actual hate. Their hypocrisy?..Legendary.. In fact, the Witnesses have hypocrisy down to an art form.. Where else would you have a religion (and people with cushy lives) trying to get gullible young people to quit jobs to pursue poverty. (They tried this on me. I resisted.). Then they imagine these people are going to be targeted when older to give money to people who never wanted to work!!!.. This is hypocrisy several times over.

This is a very sick and damaging religion and I’m glad I left years ago.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

My awakening was back in 2001, and it was one of those years, If it can go wrong, it will go wrong, type of year. We had just moved into our home (rental) and everything was breaking down, all our appliances (we owned those) and both our vehicles. To top it off my eldest son at the time was only 5, was having some serve medical issues, that required him to be hospitalized.

Fortunately, our appliances were still under warranty, and the man who sold them to us came to our home to repair them. While he was there we got to talking and told him about what was going on. He (not a JW) said that his wife has a saying, she would say when you have a lot of things going wrong, someone or something in the universe is trying to tell you something.

A couple of days later I was reading through the bible when I came across the scripture at Deuteronomy 18:21 & 22 where it talks about false prophets, and something clicked in my mind like a light bulb turning on. My mother became a JW back in the early 1970s to survive Armageddon and to be reunited with my older sister (who died at the age of 5) in the fall of 1975. After that, I really dug into really researching everything, and 3 months later my husband and I sent in our DA letters. It was shortly after that 9-11 happened, I learned about the Watchtower NGO/UN connection, and a news article on TV came out about the pedo issue in the Watchtower. If I was still in by the time the pedo issues were being exposed, I would have for sure left it at that point.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

4 months of preparing to give the 2017 Memorial Talk. Through all the bible only research I discovered a very different Jesus than I was raised to know. Strike one.

Covering over child sex abuse due to not having 2 witnesses. Strike two.

Overlapping Generations. Strike three, I'm out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit