"World conditions have never been as bad as they are now"

by Sour Grapes 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I like to bring up the Black Plague Of Europe and mention how things were much better then.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The JWS cult is a good example how you can encapsulate people thinking by indoctrinating people with selective information, then support everything by implying fear to thwart off any contravening information.

The information put out by the WTS is god's information and should therefore not be questioned.

Also religious cults control information by demeaning outside higher education.

• jesscd
    jesscd

My mother who left the JW's physically to only become even more religiously dogmatic and rather scary says this all the time. She reminisces at about how life was so idyllic in the 50's when she was a kid. I stopped her in her tracks when she last visited by saying "yes it was certainly idyllic for a white only child with financially stable parents, however you grew up in the south and I am sure it wasn't so idyllic for those of color who were not allowed to even attend the same school as you, use the same bathroom or water fountain". I also asked her what it was like to be a women back then and not be able to have ones own bank account or credit card? Although I am not sure how deep it got to her it did make her pause. Others have mentioned other horrific times and peoples that have been treated horribly. It is easy for those who lived in idyllic conditions to talk about how these days are the worst and these are signs of the last days - I personally am glad as a woman and a mom that I live in our time rather any time in the past. I am sure many others for many reasons feel the same - no it isn't perfect...but reality isn't petting pandas.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

The last time the JW at work said it, I just said, well go back and in the Roman times. End of conversation.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep, a common complain offered by so many religious people; especially JWs.

Seth Andrews gave a great speech on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXiu0VrXO6w

The whole speech is great! But go to 11:20 to see a good point!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'm just wish those days would return where we stuck kids up chimneys, rape was legal, death occurred with the most basic infection, we executed common thieves, sanitation was unheard of , human slavery was legal,but things were so much better!

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In line with CrazyGuy's post, see just the first 45 seconds of this video in this post (from another site). The World Wars were horrendous. But the Dark Ages . . . Who would prefer them?

• steve2
    steve2

The brutality of the American Civil war to the 2 World wars of last century are examples of this.

The depredations of the American Civil War were more horrendous on that continent than absolutely anything the 20th Century could throw at it. My visit to the USA in 2016 brought home to me how resoundingly devastating the Civil War had been: Every town and city we visited had a central monument to that War and its impact at the time in terms of deaths and devastation.

• zeb
    zeb
    • So many jw are burdened with,
    • No education*,
    • physically unfit,
    • probably overweight,
    • poor incomes*,
    • inadequately slept,
    • little or no creative outlet

and of course as the others here have clearly stated.

A visit from family a time back and immediately it was a run down of who--(not who had done what?)- had what sickness and who was...I too have my illnesses and pain but I promised myself I would not make it the sum total of my conversation to all I meet.

• zeb
    zeb

SLD-- brilliant reply. Any jw I meet are always stumped when they ask "How are you" when I reply "I am very well" with a smile. They always look disappointed..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit