Why pigs???

by stuckinarut2 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Why would Jesus obey the request of two demons anyway? They ask to be sent into the swine and he grants them that request. Why not just destroy them or send them into a rock or something?

For those who actually believe in exorcism, knowing the demons name is a prerequisite to commanding them to leave the person. It's interesting that the account in Mark and Luke we learn of a man with a demon. The demon says "Legion, for we are many". It's only in Matthew do we read that there's actually two possessed men. And Matthew doesnt mention Legion.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

The beauty of religion is, people tend to take funny, impossible, silly and ridiculous events in their holy texts as allegorical.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    EverAppy - people tend to take funny, impossible, silly and ridiculous events in their holy texts as allegorical.

What worries me is those that actually believe such nonsense as real!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Great Points. Should ask a Christian next time

eyeuse2badub
    he pigs might have committed suicide, but spirit creatures (Mythological creatures) certainly wouldn't die from a mere fall off the cliff. So why kill the pork chops?
    pale.emperor
    Why would Jesus obey the request of two demons anyway? They ask to be sent into the swine and he grants them that request. Why not just destroy them or send them into a rock or something?

punkofnice, Yes I too wonder how I believed all these non sense once upon a time. Voltaire's statement is absolutely true

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh"

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I always found the tale of Jesus spitting into the mud before it applying the potion to the blind man's eyes slightly distasteful.

Why the spit? If merely touching the hem of his garment can heal one, why was it necessary to add mud and spit in this particular case?

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Diogenesister,

That story about Jesus making a paste with his spit will likely sound odd to those who have been exposed to little more than the theology of Jehovah's Witnesses, but that is because Jehovah's Witnesses are so religiously isolated and academically ignorant in critical theology.

In Christianity there is a basic fundamental belief to the majority of almost every Christian. It is called "sacramentality." If all you have ever known is Watchtower religion then this passage likely weirds you out.

It will be too long and drawn out to fully explain what a sacrament is to you because it depends if you understand Christianity's theology on grace. As a Jew myself, I am not here to give you a lesson on becoming a Christian anyway.

In a nutshell, Christians believe that God mercifully considers the needs of humans to see, feel, and touch something while invisible spiritual actions are taking place. So God uses sacraments, everyday physical objects or persons, and endows them with the miraculous to such an extent that these objects or persons become the physical representatives of the invisible reality.

To illustrate: The hem of Jesus' cloak acted as a sacrament for the woman who was suffering from a hemorrhage. (Luke 8:44) Peter's shadow was a healing sacrament at one time. (Acts 5:15) Articles of clothing and handkerchiefs from Paul were also sacraments used to heal people. (Acts 19:11-12) Today most Christians practice two sacraments, that of baptism and Holy Communion or the Lord's Supper. The objects here are water and bread and wine or juice of grapes, respectively.

The paste Jesus made in your example was a sacrament. Even Jesus himself is viewed by Christians as a sacrament. Since God cannot be directly viewed and touched by humans, God came as the Incarnation as God the Son, someone humanity can see, touch, and understand in human terms.

Again this is Christianity's take. It doesn't represent my view as a Jew since Jews don't accept Jesus as Messiah. But it should help you understand what that mud/paste healing meant.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

HMMM Could it be that Pigs were UNCLEAN!

Could it be... Satan!

:)

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

EverApostate,

Voltaire hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head with that statement!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Bungi Bill, Yes I love that Voltaire's Punch. Applies to all religions. This quote makes me laugh hard, when people revere religious absurdities.

David_Jay, Seems you are taking all religious texts very seriously and trying hard to add substance to it. Take it EZ friend. Religion is all about fun, for most people on this Blog. Just saying. Its your wish to write your mind.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

EverApostate wrote:

Seems you are taking all religious texts very seriously and trying hard to add substance to it. Take it EZ friend. Religion is all about fun, for most people on this Blog. Just saying. Its your wish to write your mind.

Actually, I try not to write my opinion or personal views on this forum. I am an academic. I'm trying to help ex-JWs find solid answers, not jokes.

I was raised for a short time as a Witness, but if people here are just taking everything I say as a joke, and I don't realize that, then I will leave.

I am 50 years old and am on the autism spectrum, but very high functioning. Most people cannot tell when they meet me. I also have a very high IQ. Combined this might make it hard for me to know when other people are joking. Apparently this has been the case.

So if this is the consensus of everyone here, please let me know by having several people post in the next following statements. I apologize for making this mistake. I have no problem leaving the forum. I didn't realize this was a joke forum.

Autism, even as high functioning as mine, does make me not get jokes some times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit