S*** JW Parents Say

by Dissonant15 37 Replies latest social family

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15

My mom especially had some go-to phrases that to this day echo in my head and piss me off. Things like,

"Don't get mad at me for enforcing the rules, because Jehovah made them, so if you don't like it, you're disrespecting Him."

"Boys on the loose causing their mother shame...." (said in reference to unruly aka normal-acting kids at the meeting).

"I really feel bad for those kids because they're going to suffer at Armageddon for their parents' choices."

At preschool age: "You're making Jehovah sad," "Jehovah doesn't like that," and "That's pagan." (Really.)

....No wonder I felt so messed up. Does anyone else have some old goodies to add to the list?

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

My parents, fortunately, were not like that, thank goodness, but i knew many that said very similar things to their JW kids.

What a "head trip" to put on little children. To not only think they were doing "bad" against their parents, but were also upsetting the "creator of the universe". The same God, that these same children, learned had put to death thousands of "unworthys", in mere seconds. Some of those "My book of bible stories" were scary.

Its really a form of mental child abuse.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I was always very careful NOT to say anything condemnatory about anyone's kids, as Karma would come back to haunt me with my kids. And so it is today......I'm sure many are whispering about all of our kids being "out of the Troof" or being "inactive".

Image result for oh my

I just figure they were a hell of a lot smarter than me.

Took me over 50 years to figure out it is a CULT!

Doc

• HomebytheSea
    HomebytheSea

"He that is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much..."

"Let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall."

"You know, in Israel disobedient children were stoned to death."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Mother : "and who loves magic toys?"

child : "satan..."

mother : "and you DONT want to make Jehovah sad, DO you?"

Oh, wait...that was Calebs mother in that cartoon video now wasn't it!?

Now repeated thousands of times over to thousands of witness children the world over....more guilt induced for nothing serious!

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    Ugh gross @Homebythesea thanks for reminding me, I've heard those before too!
  • talesin
    talesin

On Hallowe'en, approx. age 10,:

"No, Hallowe'en is from Satan. We turn off all the lights and keep the blinds drawn. It's Satan's favorite night, and SATAN and his demons are running around, and so happy, because they can get all the children!"

ON reading the Asleep! article about Malawi, age 8 or 9: ::

"Jehovah's people face persecution, even here in Canada! It happened during the Duplessis years. So we must be ready to withstand torture in this time of the end(TM)."

Anyone remember the horrific descriptions of the torture? I'm not sure of the year, but mid-60s? And yes, JWS were jailed in PQ in the early 20th Century. This was a real threat to my sanity as a child.

On my first day of school, age 6:

"You are to remain seated when God Save The Queen or Oh Canada is played, do not bow your head or say Amen after the Lord's prayer, and keep your eyes open. Come straight home for lunch and after school. All worldly people are ruled by Satan. Bad associations spoil useful habits."

Followed by a meeting with my teacher, who was a Xtian and DELIGHTED that I was so advanced in my reading skills, that I got to READ A SCRIPTURE to the class every morning, so that my JW mother could have 'equal religious treatment'. Needless to say, I was an instant target (I'm small, too), and remained one until high school, where anonymity gave me safety. : ))

On blood transfusions, age 15.. My friend's baby was born very sickly, and needed blood (though chances were slim that he would survive). It was, of course, refused. The doctors were prepared legally, and procured a court order. For three months, they did all they could, but the infant died.

"Well, they took X's baby, and tortured it for three months. When it died they gave it back to them and said 'Bury it' That's how they treat Jehovah's people.".

HomeByTheSea, yes, the stoning one, too! I forgot that one. ugh

Oh, and this Cherry! We've all heard this one.

"The worst Jehovah's Witness is better than the best worldly person." (Let's TM that whole sentence. hehe)

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

When I think back on it My Mom used to say some pretty "out there " stuff and I'm surprised I didn't end up with some kind of complex.

For instance she'd say "Little boys who lie should expect tragedy to visit them on a regular basis.

She told us kids it was ok for JW's to talk to Lesbians because they take good care of their cats and they have a real "can-do", attitude.

If we were rude she'd say, "Children who aren't polite give the Pro-Choice folks a better reason to exist."

My Dad was just as bad, he used to tell me I was a "test tube" baby but he wasn't a Witness so I never believed anything he said anyway.

Of course I'm kidding about all of the above I actually had a comparatively normal childhood (aside from the Elder sanctioned beatings in the parking lot of the Hall) but I do remember when we didn't pay attention during our family study or kick up a fuss about having to go to meetings, Mom would weep and say that she was afraid we wouldn't make it into the new system and she didn't want to be there either if we weren't there. All 4 of us kids would feel horrible and guilty for having made her cry and we'd do whatever she wanted.

Talk about manipulation and emotional abuse.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15

Haha yes, talesin, all those hit close to home.

Wow Pete those are pretty nutso.

• HomebytheSea
    HomebytheSea
    "Even if Daddy or Mommy don't see what you're doing, Jehovah does! He sees everything....."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit