S*** JW Parents Say

by Dissonant15 37 Replies latest social family

• talesin
    talesin

"If everybody wanted to jump off the Bridge, would you do it, too."

(at this point, mother, YES! *grins*)

"Respect your elders."

Really? Across the board? Even when they are monsters and child molesters? Nope, equal respect from birth to death for all people (children are people, too), and those who *earn* it, get trust as well.

• cappytan
    cappytan

This is something I heard a Governing Body member say at a KH dedication talk in a US/Mexico bordertown when I was younger, "If you think Jehovah's Witnesses don't have the truth, you might as well go out to that bridge and jump off. You'd be better off." My mother repeated it often the few years after that talk when referring to bible studies that weren't progressing.

That statement stuck with me, and was part of the reason I contemplated suicide when waking up...I thought I would be better off and that Jehovah would forgive my sins if I was dead instead of leaving the truth.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    Wow @cappy that is really awful :(
  • Warwickslave
    Warwickslave
    My parents only speak Spanish they would say " a jehova no le gusta"I remember my response but I do so screw him.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

D15, my mother said most of those things, but here is my all time favorite:

'The only education you need is in the Watchtower and Awake magazine!!'

• cappytan
    cappytan
    (Just an FYI, that Governing Body member was Lyman Swingle.)
  • Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

Of old, "bad associations spoil useful habits". My worldly friends were only allowed to stay over if their parents let them come to the meeting the next day (potential for me to conduct my own home bible study... yay!) As you can imagine, I didn't have many friends.

Recently it was "just get married so you can come back to da twooof!!" Like, yaaaaay! That's a great incentive for me to stay living in sin!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

The only education you need is in the Watchtower and Awake magazine!

Sounds like something my mother would've said, can't believe she didn't,then I would've said why do I have to go to school then?

"bad associations spoil useful habits".

Now this one my mother said ALL THE TIME !! However didn't have the effect she wanted !!

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    "We know you'd like to do <X>, but just because you're allowed to doesn't mean it's the best idea. Remember, your father is an elder you have to always set the example. You can never 'give cause for complaint or stumbling.' How would you feel if your father had to step down as an elder because someone was offended or stumbled by you [insert any normal childhood activity-- even for a lot of JW kids]? How would you feel when they announced from the platform that your father has been removed as an elder, knowing it was your fault?"
  • respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

"'He that is faithful in little....'" (Mom, just said that. She didn't even have to finish the sentence.)

"How do you think that made Jehovah feel?"

"Remember, the angels are watching."

When walking out the door to school, night out with friends, etc., shouted from the other room..."Remember who you are!!!"

"Just think about the 'Hallway of Consequences!'"

"Just think about how you'll feel, and how we'll feel, if we have to sit there and listen as it's announced from the stage that you've been disfellowshipped. Do you ever want to bring that kind of shame on our family? Your father would be removed as an elder, I would be removed as a pioneer, and it would all be YOUR fault."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit