Post Convention Euphoria

by Phoebe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

There is a plethora of convention photos on my Instagram this morning. (A lot of my JW friends have forgotten I'm on their followers list)

Smiling faces standing next to convention posters with comments like 'Nope, I'm not giving up. I'll never give up' all hashtagged to death with #nevergiveup #bestlifeever etc

They are all fairly young people, 40ish and under. They weren't around for 1975 and most of them have not had one obstacle in their lives to overcome. I'm wondering what they'll feel like in 20/30 years when the end hasn't come and they are scraping by. I was them once...I thought the end was imminent. I didn't worry about tomorrow. You give up everything and then they tell you it was your fault you did that and NOW the end is imminent and so the cycle goes on, wasting the lives of generation after generation. This religion is cruel.

What post convention reactions have you had among family and friends?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes...the high they are enjoying is like a drug fix. Once they come down from the emotional hype next week, they will go back to being normal.

Try to avoid any conversations with witnesses this week...they will be in "Super-Spiritual Judgemental mode"

• steve2
    steve2

What's that old saying?

Something like, "Give JWs two or so weeks to get back to earth post-convention and, in the meantime, take everything they say with a nod and a wink".

Soon it will be like there had been no convention at all, the euphoria being replaced by the cold, dreary reality of life grinding on as before.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Some addicted smokers or alcoholics would happily stand in front of tobacco or alcohol advertising posters and say " nope I'm not giving up " its the same deal with the addiction jws have for their internet product.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I used to feel the same after a convention. Especially when the brothers would use misleading and emotionally charged phrases toward the end of the day talks such as " friends we will meet again next year, God willing", implying that Armageddon was oh so close. That was almost a decade ago lol. JW's always get hyped after large assemblies filled their robot brains with lies and propaganda.

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2

My sister mentioned the video about 1975 to me because she knows that initially was what bothered me the most. Funny that she said it was about 1975 because they don't mention the year in it. I feigned ignorance about having seen it already. I said really? What did they say? Did they say the idea came from their literature? She said yes! I don't think she was watching the same video as me!

She seems to think that because they have brought it up and discussed it that they are owning up to introducing the idea. But obviously they are still blaming individual witnesses for thinking this idea up.

I love the way the brother in the video says "and then we were sent a new test"! Who were they sent this test from? Their own leaders!

They are too stupid to realise.

• zeb
    zeb

bloody tired...and annoyed that so many take so long to say so little.

• carla
    carla

What Stuckinarut said!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The Org is moving right along with today's society; lots of visual aids and videos. Every single disertaciĆ³n had a video in it.

Really liked it this year; very entertaining.

DY

• freddo
    freddo

Glad you were entertained DY. Were your ears tickled in the process?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit