Yoga for JWs

by EyesOpenHeartBroken 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

I was chatting with my very JW pioneer mother (aged 65) and out of the blue she tells me she is sore from a particular pose she did in yoga class.

"Wait, what?? " I say in my mind. But I choose to keep quiet.

She looked at me like she was expecting me to react or say something. So I kept my best poker face and asked her about the sore area in her body (previous injury). Nothing more said about yoga. I didn't feel like getting into it with her, so I didn't question further or call her out.

So did I miss something? Is yoga acceptable for dubs now?

By way of a little back story, about 15 years ago my very same uber dub pioneer mother "readjusted" a friend and I for expressing interest taking yoga at a gym.

So I guess I'm wondering if my mom is just thinking for herself or if there has been a shift in policy.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

No shift in policy. I do not know what is up with your Mom. Here's hoping it is something good like thinking for herself, as you said.

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

Thanks Wakanda for the reply. That is what I thought.

My mom is strict in avoiding anything associated with "spiritism" or "false religion", so I was surprised that she is doing yoga now.

• LV101
    LV101

Eyes - the cult crooks must have decided to let them have mats and yoga exercise clothes because I heard a couple of younger gals talking about yoga classes few yrs. back. I doubt they'd be in yoga classes without approval.

I remember yrs. ago when the cult bad mouthed yoga. What a bunch of idiots!

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

Many witnesses practice watchtower-yoga (Woga). Bending over backwards to place a magazine, stretching the truth, downward dog in submission to GB, etc.

• venus
    venus

My hard-core JW family members consider yoga as a subtle tool the demons use to get true worshipers to their side.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Probably ( and if so good for them) a *sensible* doctor has persuaded your mum it's just gentle stretching exercises and the best treatment for her ailments.....and not one of the dark arts for O.A.P's

• carla
    carla

I know a jw who does yoga videos but will only call it 'stretching'. I say nothing, anytime I know they are going against dub policy is fine by me.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

When my COBE heard I was attending counseling, he came to my house and said I'd better be careful or they might start getting me to do YOGA and that isn't allowed. Clearly he has no idea what counseling is!!!

• Moster
    Moster

CONFUSEDALOT

Woga - snicker snicker!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit