Whatever happened to the "written review"?

by pale.emperor 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton
    It had that dangerous effect of making people think (to a certain degree). Good JW

very salient point. The hidden idea, that there might be alternate, better or deeper answers, or wrong answers, that with new light would become, -turn out to be- right, must have troubled a few wt writers. Even in math, you have some equations, with more than one unknown that have more than one correct answer. and

there are a lot of unknowns is wt math/myth land.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

"Whatever happened to the "written review"?

This reminds me of how some not so lovingly referred to the written review as the "rotten review". Our Congregation used to pass out these thin boards for you to lean on while you wrote your answers. Most of them had doodles scrawled all over them and things written on them (likely by teenagers) such as "AC/DC sucks Megadeth Rules !!"

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

"Whatever happened to the "written review"?

Wow, funny shit that, now I feel old which I shouldn't because yadda yadda yadda.......

• Good JW
    Good JW

Waton - yes it must be very irritating when your sheep start using their brain. lol

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

Back in 1999, I was a newly-minted elder and moved to another congregation where I was promptly made the Theocratic Ministry School overseer. (I actually loved that assignment). At the end of the very first Written Review I conducted, I asked the congregation (who had only met me a few weeks before) to pass their papers forward to be graded. I gave them about 5 seconds to be shocked, and enjoyed the panicked looks of bewilderment on their faces before muttering, "What? You don't do that here?"

I used quite a bit of humor in my conducting of the meetings, which was a stark change from the previous brother who did the School. I hated to see all of the changes that were handed down later, robbing anyone in a teaching position of any opportunity to use their creativity and personality while teaching. I stepped down in 2004, was DF'ed in 2005. Fought my way back 2 1/2 years later because of my family, but never actually returned in spirit. I'm now completely out since 2014.

Have lots more to say, but I'm already outside the scope of the original post. So...what happened? No more TMS?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The written review was a royal waste of time.

• eyeuse2badub
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    Beth Sarim

So no 'oral review' at the CLAM (christian life and ministry) Wow that is kinky!

just saying!

• tiki
    tiki

Back in the day my father was ministry school servant and I got to see the grades...and knew who was smart and who was stupid. Haha...the interesting was the cong svt who was a rabid haranguing blustering self righteous jerk. He would do pretty okay...but never high 90's. In fact few ever hit that category. They were not child play however. Back then you had to know what the teachings were and be able to biblically prove them.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Back in the day my father was ministry school servant and I got to see the grades...and knew who was smart and who was stupid.

Yes.....early on, we had to turn in our review sheets to our book study conductor (I think) or to the School Servant maybe. There was a certain amount of pressure to do well because someone was going to be evaluating you based on your score. When I got older, I remember realizing that there was noting they could do if I didn't turn my form in or for that matter, didn't fill it out at all !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit