Young People Ask: I’m Attracted to the Same Sex—Does That Mean I’m Gay?

by pale.emperor 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Eurgh! More patronizing and uninformed reasoning from the "experts" at Bethel. This time tackling the sensitive subject of those attracted the the same sex. But fear not! Apparently all you have to do is snap out of it - it's just a phase!

My comments will be in yellow.

Not at all!

Fact: In many cases, same-sex attraction is nothing more than a passing phase.

Fact? Wow, thats a big statement. A fact? Ok then, care to cite your sources please?

That’s what Lisette, 16, who was at one time attracted to a girl, found. She says: “Through my biology classes in school, I learned that during the adolescent years, hormone levels can fluctuate greatly. I truly think that if more youths knew more about their bodies, they would understand that same-sex attraction can be temporary and they wouldn’t feel the pressure to be gay.”

Well Lisette, that's true. But being a homosexual is a lot more complicated than just fluctuating adolescent hormones. And i doubt very much that any gay person felt pressured to be gay. Just as i dont feel pressured to be heterosexual.

A youth at a crossroads deciding which road to follow

All youths face a choice—either to adopt the world’s degraded view of sexuality or to follow the high moral path set forth in God’s Word.

All youths face a choice—either to adopt the world’s degraded view of sexuality or to follow the high moral path set forth in God’s Word. Sneaking in their own adjective again. This seems to be a running trend for this book. Those people who set those "high moral" standard were desert dwelling people with no knowledge of psychology or medicine and thought it absolutely fine to stone someone to death for, i dont know, picking up sticks on a Saturday.

But what if your attraction to the same sex seems to be more than a passing phase? Is it cruel of God to tell someone who is attracted to the same sex to avoid homosexuality?

Yes!

If you answered yes to that last question, you should know that such reasoning is based on the flawed notion that humans must act on their sexual impulses. The Bible dignifies humans by assuring them that they can choose not to act on their improper sexual urges.—Colossians 3:5.

We didn't need the bible to tell us that Mr Watchtower. The point is, we have the right to love whoever we want without permission from J.Hoover.

The Bible’s stand is not unreasonable. It simply directs those with homosexual urges to do the same thing that is required of those with an opposite-sex attraction—to “flee from fornication.” (1 Corinthians 6:18) The fact is, millions of heterosexuals who wish to conform to the Bible’s standards employ self-control despite any temptations they might face. Those with homosexual inclinations can do the same if they truly want to please God.—Deuteronomy 30:19.

Ohhhh, i see, so you're retracting what you said in the Your Youth book when you said that homosexuals are not born that way but that their behavior is learned through masturbation? Hmm. So when you had that thought it wasn't Gods thought at all then? It was from someone's own head?

I think articles like this are a sign that more and more young ones are becoming aware of how normal being gay is and how the real world is a lot more accepting of them than their supposed all loving god.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes if you want to know about human sexuality, read what the ancient Hebrews thought, a civilization that existed 3000 years ago, they would have so much more accurate knowledge than anything today.

....... and people wonder why the leaders of the WTS/JWS are so quantifying ignorant.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd
    Young People Ask: I'm Attracted to the Same Sex-Does That Mean I'm Gay?

Nope, it might mean you're bisexual.

On a slightly different note, National Geographic actually released an article about the subject of gender recently and it presented some interesting information. Gender is not a simple a matter as once believed. If I'm recalling the article correctly, your apparent gender is not always determined by which chromosome you receive at conception. In fact it's possible to have a body that is male while having the brain chemistry of a female, or vice versa. There are also cases of being born with a body that looks female, but around puberty the child's body changes drastically revealing the clitoris the child was once believed to have was actually a penis. So it is in fact literally possible to be born in the wrong body. So I wonder how this plays into this argument, would "God" still consider it a sin to have a relationship with a man if you had a body that looked female, but the brain chemistry of a male?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

If it is indeed a sexual attraction or just an intense liking for a person. This happens all the time, for instance when a person likes to see the same actor appearing in different movies or always listening to songs by the same singer.

I've had loads of Dean Martin tracks for decades, but even when he was alive he was perfectly safe from my advances.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

That’s what Lisette, 16, who was at one time attracted to a girl, found. She says: “Through my biology classes in school, I learned that during the adolescent years, hormone levels can fluctuate greatly. I truly think that if more youths knew more about their bodies, they would understand that same-sex attraction can be temporary and they wouldn’t feel the pressure to be gay.”

One chick went through a bi-curious phase (which isn't surprising considering recent studies suggest that no women are completely straight) so that can definitely be generalized to indicate that all same-sex attraction is a passing phase. Yeah, that adds up.

All youths face a choice

I'm gonna shamelessly steal a bit from a stand-up comedian whose name I cannot remember:

When it comes to relating to homosexuals, all I have to go on is my own sexuality - I'm attracted to women and I've never had any sexual urges towards a man. It has never felt like a choice to me to be attracted to women, I just am. So this leads me to one conclusion: if you feel that you're making a choice to be straight, I've got news for you - you're gay.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ten bucks says these half-wits have never even heard of the Kinsey scale.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Young People Ask..." ... the most stupid, inane questions that they already know the answers to.

• steve2
    steve2

All this is teaching their young people is, "Don't bother asking because the answer will always be No and we will use rigid reasoning to arrive at "No". Now deal with it."

The so-called "passing phase" of sexual attraction was a prominent psychiatric view in the 1950s (when homosexuality was deemed a mental health disorder (until 1973 when it was removed from the Psychiatrists' Bible, the DSM). And there is a grain or two of truth in the passing phase view, as noted in some posters' comments above.

But when you read the bios of those who are gay or lesbian - or, in my case, reflect upon my own experience - it becomes obvious we were not "afflicted" with a phase - but a deep-seated non-heterosexual orientation. Gay men, in particular, will often talk about their earliest childhood memories of being attracted to other males and not being attracted to females.

What young people need is factual information and reassurance, not half-truths and scare-mongering that set them on a path of constant struggle with "who" they are.

• sir82
    sir82

The fact is, millions of heterosexuals who wish to conform to the Bible’s standards employ self-control despite any temptations they might face. Those with homosexual inclinations can do the same if they truly want to please God

Interesting. If a heterosexual wishes to stop "fleeing from fornication", he has the option to marry.

What should someone with "homosexual inclinations" do? Marry someone of the same sex? Ha - I'd like to see the reaction if that were suggested by someone with such "inclinations".

As usual, the WT analogy falls apart after even the simplest, most cursory examination possible.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

I know that I am gay, though I may be bi but more gay than straight. I know that my sexual desires do very sometimes. Sometimes I am really attracted to women and sometimes I am really repulsed by women. There are a lot of people who do believe that sexuality can be a fluid situation, if those thoughts are credible that is for everyone to determine for themselves. But I know at times my sexuality is pretty fluid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit