If You Could Live In Any Era or Decade What Would It Be?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I kind of like the 50’s and early 60’s because of the innocence and “happy days” outlook by that generation. It seems most people were pretty innocent and real.

Would you rather be living in a different era or is this century working for you??

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'd agree with that Min also maybe add the 70's to that too.

Little more stability in the economies, such as job security, cost of living, men didn't have to have their wives working to support a family etc.

There was less drug problems and violence as well.

I think society had more respect for one another in general.

It seems people are more materialistic and are willing to do more things with careless apathy to the social effects to others..

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have a different viewpoint of that time period from listening from my parents. My mom grew up in the north (Wisconsin), and my dad grew up in the south (Texas and Oklahoma). My mom has mostly pretty good memories of her time growing up, my parents were both in the military when they met and were married in 1966.

My dad's memories from that time period were not good memories. His dad had major issues with alcoholism, and because of that, his family was homeless on several occasions. There was a lot of bad things that were going on in the past. The issue with memories of the past is that people will remember the happy and good memories while forgetting the bad and rough times.

If I could pick any Era or Decade to live it, it would be now. With the aid of the internet, it exposes things that are going on in religion to name one.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I loved growing up in the 60's in southern California. Surfing the great beaches and cruising Whittier Blvd. Lots of jw parties and times were simple as far as i could see.

just saying!

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    If You Could Live In Any Era or Decade What Would It Be?

I'll add on your question to raise the stakes a bit:

If You Could Live In Any Era or Decade - but you don't know yet what your race, gender, social class, sexual orientation and your parent's wealth, education and religious beliefs would be ‐ What Era or Decade would you choose?

Would the answer to the question above be different compared to if you would be living there as your current 'you'?

What if you'll also be placed in a random country instead of where you lived so far?

• minimus
    minimus

Anders, ask your own questions.😐

• minimus
    minimus

Fink, I agree with you!

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

In the USA, I'd go with post-WW 2, say 1946-1955. The mood in the country had to be pretty good after the war. A major plus would be contributing to the baby-boom. Hubba-hubba!

I'm not sure about the 70's. Vietnam, Kent State, OPEC embargo, Watergate, Jimmy Carter with "national malaise", the Ford Pinto, staying alive til '75...the music was pretty good.

• blondie
    blondie

I'd pick right now. The pros outweigh the cons so far to me. I appreciate that we are not as on the brink of world war as in the past. I grew up in the Cold War in a military family that knew what lurked behind the official info. Medical discoveries have made some seemingly undefeatable illnesses no longer so. But not being able to afford health insurance in some areas might offset.

I have lived through the times starting with the Korean conflict until today; it is not a slanted history experience and I have lived many places over the world. It is good to talk to people who have lived in these times, from various walks of life, to get the true overall picture, not just the seemingly good highlights from history books.

• Terry
    Terry

I'd like to go back (again) to 1955-1965.
    There were soooooo many incredible changes going on in every facet of American life.
    Knowing what I now know, I'd enjoy it even more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit