If You Could Live In Any Era or Decade What Would It Be?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

The last half of the 1800's.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I just love being alive right now. Modern technology has advanced so far and so fast. Wasted so much time and energy studying about valves (US - tubes) in the 50's and 60's. Also wasted time as a JW.

I wish I was 50 years younger though. England is great, Mrs England is great so what's not to like?

George

• millie210
    millie210

When I was ten I informed my Mother I wanted to live at the big county Library .

Now with the internet I'm good.

Ha, I loved this answer!

For myself, I think each time period had its checks and balances. For example the purer food and water of yesteryear meant less medical advances etc.

Given that, I would pick now with the following provisos

Eat pure food

Live close to nature

Those would be the checks (the easy part)

Challenge your body to the extreme

Challenge your mind and emotions to the extreme

Those would be the balances (the challenging part)

Avoiding constant temperature control by experiencing true cold and heat.

Not taking a pill for every symptom

Building your own home or if thats too ambitious, a chicken coop!

Trimming the "fat" that dulls the senses such as social media, constant cell phone and internet. I guess I would also include most news outlets, and what passes for entertainment in USA (the only country Im familiar with).

Really as I think about it, NOW is the only time that would allow a person to pick, choose and customize a life based on all that has come before.

Confession: I am writing this while sitting in an air-conditioned home after eating a more than substantial lunch and while browsing the internet. Soft easy living much? I suspect so.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm looking forward to the next decade--the 2020's

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

About 200 years in the future. Don't get me wrong I studied history I know how far we've come, how wonderful life is now for many of us compared to two hundred years ago.

I just think, apart from the obvious, that I'd like to see everyone having enough to eat, access to medicine and clean water, other things are missing.

We've lost our way somewhat in the West. I can't work out if it's the need to replace religion with something meaningful. That atheism just isn't doing it for many people. ( I am an atheist). People seem rudderless, without meaningful direction.

I don't know the answer but I hope we find it. I hope we don't destroy our home or our souls through mindless pursuit of materialism and status symbols.

'If man is still alive' in two hundred years as the song goes and we've found our way again I kinda envy those people.

• Simon
    Simon

It would have to be the future wouldn't it? We're probably living in the most peaceful and prosperous period there's ever been with all manner of labor saving devices to the point that people feel they need to invent work as exercise.

How about 2050 or 2100 to see how bad or how great things are? Think of all the cools stuff ... Android 38, Windows 2100 ME Edition, iPad ProPro running on 92G.

Or horse and cart everywhere as people forage for the last of the vegetation ...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm optimistic that the future will be better for humanity.

The longevity of lifespan in years has increased for most humans, one indication that things are getting better .

• RolRod
    RolRod

I've always felt out of time, prefer to live in simpler times, late 1800s, early 1900s (1875-1925)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Even though things aren’t perfect now, I still wouldn’t want to live in the past before the days of antibiotics and other modern conveniences.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I say that my time period has been the best to live in. The baby boomers born soon after WW2. We enjoyed the steady rise in affluence during the 50s and 60s, we had the best music in the 60s to early 70s ( IMHO) We experienced no wars or hardship on home soil.

I am glad to be in the last part of my life now, though. As time goes by I find it harder and harder to relate to the modern world of digital tech. , struggling economy, changing social habits and standards, and what sounds to me rotten music. !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit