John Ceder used my satire about annual meeting for real

by Gorbatchov 67 Replies latest jw friends

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Are you saying Cedars has used your info on a video and not double checked his sources?

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Yep.

I'm not happy with it because I respect each person.

I wrote 1 hour later in my OP that it was satire. So it could be known in an early stage. It was ment for fun at the moment.

Yes, it is possible to predict the wt.org but it was more a shot into open goal because of the Russia / jw events.

@john Cedars, I respect you and your work. I hope you can smile about it.

G.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So much for Cedar's "inside" information......................

It will take a long time to recover from this f*ck up!

I have to watch the video ~ Stephane

Yeah, who has 2 hours to spend on this tripe?

• Simon
    Simon

Either he didn't verify any source or he simply stole your satirical piece for views.

Whatever the reason, spreading fake information without clearly labelling it as satire doesn't help anyone's credibility.

The next question is: why leave it up if you learn that you were wrong? Surely take it down

... unless you don't care and are doing it for views.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Simon, how to delete the OP?

Man enough to take it down πŸ˜‰

G.

• Simon
    Simon

Nooo, I'm talking about the video, not your piece that was labelled satire. Sorry that wasn't clear!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I just downloaded the John Cedar video for a later laugh about it.

were would we be without a smile πŸ˜ƒ

G.

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

I would like to explain what I know about this situation.

Shortly before we recorded the latest episode of Watchtower in Focus, a person in whom I have great trust sent me by email what appeared to be a legitimate agenda from the annual meeting.

He further stated in his email that his daughter, a current JW and former Bethelite, had attended this annual meeting with an invitation to the Warwick tie-in.

Because he linked these two items, I mistakenly believed that he was telling me that this information came from his daughter directly. I had no reason to dispute or doubt him, since the information did not seem sensational or non-credible, and there were elements of the outline which were absolutely accurate, as he combined the annual meeting outlines with the photos of the new releases, which were definitely genuine.

I take full responsibility for sending this information to Lloyd, and as I mentioned, I had no reason to doubt that the individuals mentioned in the outline were likely candidates for giving those talks.

We take accuracy very seriously at JW Survey, and likewise, Lloyd takes every measure possible to ensure that the information he presents on his YouTube channel is informative and accurate. Lloyd immediately contacted our editing group to advise us of this JWN post, and he is in the process of editing the Watchtower in Focus episode as we speak.

Additionally I have reached out to the individual who sent me the information and will determine why he sent this to me as fact, and did not reveal that this was some form of satire. I suspect he does not know it was satire, or missed that point entirely. For the record, none of us at JW Survey had read the JWN post, which I understand to be some type of satire.

This is a lesson learned, and rest assured we would never accept such information for a JW Survey article without obtaining confirmation from multiple sources, which is our practice.

Unfortunately, all of the information we received came to us within 24 hours or less of taping the Watchtower in Focus program, and we had little time to investigate that specific portion of detail related to the annual meeting.

I appreciate the fact that our community will call out anything which they believe to be inaccurate, as we all must uphold the highest standards of reporting, whether in writing or on camera.

Rest assured that we will be extra cautious in the future with any information we receive, regardless of the source, and will take steps to correct anything does not stand the test of truth.

Sincerely,

JR

• John Free
    John Free

I expect Gorby’s piece was shared on various platforms before it was labelled satire. Once fake news takes root mix ups happen.

Cedar’s work is on the whole excellent. A longtime friend of mine recently woke up to ttatt because of his videos.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    We take accuracy very seriously at JW Survey, and likewise, Lloyd takes every measure possible to ensure that the information he presents on his YouTube channel is informative and accurate.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ obviously not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit