I got to give a speech at the University of Louisville today about JWs and Propaganda

by dubstepped 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

Excellent -- hope you have the opportunity to carry this on to many more institutions of higher learning.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Thank you dubstepped.. Absolutely on the button as far as this forums purpose. The content of your post hits all the more hard with the realisation that many members of participants families are still under this jw mindset with all the ramifications which flow from it. This is why I believe activism is necessary to increase the awareness not only to the jws but the public at large, this point can be borne out by the questions put by the audience in the video, there is still an overwhelming ignorance among the general public as to the teachings of the jws and,the consequences if challenged by members.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Well Queequeg It's always nice to hear from a lovely lady.

........ Dubstepped you did a great job!

A while back I addressed a small group in a local church....... we sat around a large table so it was a more intimate setting.

The one take away I had was that while we had two KH's in our small City of 7000 people......... these folks knew hardly anything about the JW's in our community.

It was apparent to my wife and I that the local JW's were indeed doing a great job of avoiding wordly people. All this group knew.......was no Christmas/birthdays and no blood.

Edited to add: I went back to finish your presentation and got to the Q & A section.

Thanks.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Dubstepped,

In case you (or others reading this thread) don't know, there actually is a pretty well written series of articles on propaganda in the June 22, 2000 Awake!.

When I read them years ago, I became convinced that the WT leadership absolutely knows what they are doing when it comes to manipulation and control of their members.

Here's a screenshot of the three articles you will want to read (following the TOC):

Here also, for your reading enjoyment, are a couple of older threads on the subject:

Enjoy!

jp

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nice work Dubstepped and wife

Jws are victims of controlled propaganda, much like other religious cults as you mentioned in your talk.

The WTS uses applied enforcement of ignorance, fear and lies mixed in with guilt and obligation to control people's thoughts and behavior..

Their organization has been solemnly chosen by god, so all activity by the JW members are in appeasement and praise toward Jehovah in sanctifying his name.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Nicely done in your short time frame. People are so curious about the beliefs, and answering their questions, quite often leads to many more questions. Well done

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks again peoples. It really is crazy to utter some of these things aloud. It is mind blowing to me that I once held their beliefs, or even believed them to be wholly unique as I've learned more about other groups.

Thanks for the articles jp. I knew there was also one about accuracy that had some awful things in it a friend pointed me to. Oh, if only I had the time in that presentation. I had to cut so much out of my original ideas.

Thanks again for all of the kind words. It felt amazing to get to do that. I'll be riding high for a bit.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Marking. I'll be listening tomorrow on my postman's round đź‘Ť

• jp1692
    jp1692

dubstepped,

You're welcome. You can't—nor should you—include everything in any presentation. Less is often more, as I'm sure you know.

Are you familiar with the International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA)?

It is an organization which "provides information on cults, cultic groups, psychological manipulation, psychological abuse, spiritual abuse, brainwashing, mind control, thought reform, abusive churches, high-demand groups, new religious movements, exit counseling, and practical suggestions for those needing assistance."

Over the last few years, I have attended a few of their conferences and workshops as both a participant and a presenter. One of the things that was really helpful for me from these experiences was seeing that all cults—no matter how superficially different they may seem from each other—are essentially the same. It's all about control and manipulation.

Check it out.

jp

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks jp!

Actually, one of their board members recently reached out to me to let me know about them. Unfortunately their conferences are out of my league to attend right now as they're overseas.

I enjoy seeing the parallels in various groups. It's one of my goals with the Shunned Podcast to shine a light on it. I've interviewed a number of groups thus far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit