I got to give a speech at the University of Louisville today about JWs and Propaganda

by dubstepped 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Today my wife and I went to college. Although not allowed to go to college as JWs we got to lead a class today and it was really special to be able to do that. The class was an honors class on social media and psychology and I created a presentation around the propaganda and manipulation used against us as JWs. Many of the same things are seen in social media and impacts the way we see things that are posted on sites like this.

The students were assigned to listen to episode 5 of This JW Life first, my first podcast, where I talked about the FOG and BITE models of cult control. Some let us know before class how excited they were, others came up after class (one even in a restaurant later) and thanked us for speaking. My presentation was just over 50 minutes and we ran out of time for questions.

What a cool experience for two people that didn't have a chance when they were of typical college age.

https://youtu.be/xtXOqQ8Aj4A

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Very well done both of you!

I'm a little jealous, because I wouldn't mind using my JW speaking skills for something like this.

Plus, my wife works at a local college, so we could definitely have an "in" to do this. But, at the moment, because of her family ties, I think I'd have to take it on solo. But, maybe not! I'm going to send her your video.

My only critique is, even though dubstepped does a great job... and I know my wife would be happy to defer most of the speaking to me, because it's not her thing (even though she is absolutely capable!)... The presentation would have been freaking more amazing with a little more input from Mr's Dubstepped.

• Simon
    Simon

Good job man!

• jp1692
    jp1692
    DS: I created a presentation around the propaganda and manipulation used against us as JWs. Many of the same things are seen in social media and impacts the way we see things that are posted on sites like this.
    What an excellent thing for you and your wife to be able to do. I’m sure the students benefitted greatly. Thanks for sharing!
  • zeb
    zeb

well done that man!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I plan to watch this later ,sounds like a great opportunity you both had.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Congratulations!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DUBSTEPPED:

Very good. Glad you are educating the public at institutions of higher learning as to what Jehovah’s Witnesses is really all about.

Not having been a born-in, it’s always a little shocking to hear about how against education they actually are. This is something that some Witnesses actually lie about because they are a little ashamed.

Let the truth be told.

• cofty
    cofty

That's brilliant! I'm marking this to listen to it all later Thanks.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I just finished watching while getting ready for work. Wonderful! Great job informing that class. I’m sure none of them will ever join. Really excellent presentation. Thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit