Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    So, when talking about the Abrahamic God "El" (who has been combined with the Canaanite God Yahweh), there is evidence that he is make-believe. I was just responding to that comment you made about avoiding making claims like that. Claims like that CAN be made once the theist defines which God they're referring to.
    Certainly, very true.
    After all, we do not simply lack a belief in the biblical God, we reject it as false and for good reasons.

Why use the word 'God' as all? What can you claim about this.... idea? Is it he? She? It? Them? A series of never ending responsible parties? The monolith from 2001? what is 'God'?
    Because that is what the title of the thread asked about and what people are talking about. Am I expected to define what I mean differently to say, I dunno, everyone else commenting? Odd. Have you not used the word yourself in this thread??
    And why would I claim anything about a deistic version of god? I don't believe in one.

Oh, and kindly refrain from telling me what I think.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    If authority is needed when asking people on an online forum to support their claims about reality, where exactly are you getting yours from, pumpkin?

Well, first, I'm not "pumpkin". Your attempt to use subtle misogyny to minimize and belittle me was not unnoticed and frankly, is cheap and foolish.

Secondly, your comment that I addresse was about requesting people to calm down their claims, not about whether or not it's proper to ask for support for a claim made. Those, you see, are different things.

BTW, it is entirely proper to ask someone to support their claims.

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Eh, I brand you the pumpkin queen of obfuscation and pedantry.
    Live with it, pumpkin.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@stuffwotifink

Don't you that using 'subtle misogyny to minimize and belittle' is just about the worst thing you could possibly do on this forum?

Take your antediluvian views elsewhere, caveman

• Viviane
    Viviane

I've no wish to be your queen. It's a shame that "being consistent" and "knowing something" is pedantry and obfuscation to you. You've the potential to actually know things.

In any event, I hope you figure out what is causing your short man's disease and get over it.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

hey since when did other people start calling Viv 'pumpkin'???

stealing my cute nicknames... the nerve.

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    In any event, I hope you figure out what is causing your short man's disease and get over it.

Your attempt to use subtle misandry to minimize and belittle me was not unnoticed and frankly, is cheap and foolish...

You've the potential to actually know things.

lol, dat ego.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    freemindfade
    Why use the word 'God' as all? What can you claim about this.... idea? Is it he? She? It? Them? A series of never ending responsible parties? The monolith from 2001? what is 'God'????
    The minute you say 'God' you have attached the idea of a personality solely responsible and above everything.
    You call what you do not understand 'God' instead of just, unknown. Or undiscovered yet, because every discovery you reveal, god is not there.
    You see the grand canyon and you say god must have carved this, then you find out no, it was water, well what is water made of, and you keep going and going and you find no 'God' just more elements making up reality, not a person.
    A good way to differentiate between the two concepts is to use God/deity when referring to a powerful being in the universe vs a personal God/Gods.

I agree with your point but there might be a straw-man lurking in the argumentation, I don't even think God of the gaps where used by stuffwotifink.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Your attempt to use subtle misandry to minimize and belittle me was not unnoticed and frankly, is cheap and foolish...

Oh, ShortStuff, that wasn't subtle. Men that use misogyny in a jam ARE suffering from something, so it was neither cheap nor foolish. And if copying me is the best you've got, well, then it appears I'm spot on and firing on all cylinders.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So, where are we? No one can define god in a way that doesn't make their god either irrelevant or an asshole unworthy of worship. Asking people who make ridiculous claims to prove those claims is proper. FMF has the name "pumpkin" for me all to himself. Atheism is simly a lack of belief in god, gods, godesses or the supernatural. There are both strong and weak versions of atheism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit