Does Anyone Still Believe in God?

by LaurenM 447 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I don't see proof for a God anywhere. If there is one, he clearly has chosen to be completely absent from human affairs. That being said, I cannot get around and affirmatively say that there is no God either.

Honestly, I am trying to do my best to be a good person so that when I die, people will think of me as a good man. If I can achieve that, I will be satisfied. If I than wake up, standing before God for him to pass judgement up me, than I will stand up tall and say: I did my best.

In the end, weather he is there or not, I have chosen to do my best to be a good person.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    it's boring repeating points that people quite intelligent enough to understand, are pretending have not been made. [Take vivs LOLtastic response above, a perfect example... "U r dum so i iz rite"]
    Well, I see the circle jerk crew is out congratulating themselves on a successful circle jerk.
    As I said, a shame but understandable. I know where you're coming from and admire such an approach.
    Why would you admire an approach that is the least thoughtful? It seems like something an intelligent and thoughtful person would av... oh, wait. Got it.

• stuffwotifink
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Might as well leave a rat turd for all the smarts you left.
  • Old Major
    Old Major

I believe that if there is a God (or higher being) he is a world away from what is written in the Bible.

Suppose that would make me agnostic?...

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    You're hilarious, really, you deserve at least one gold star.
    At least one, maybe even two!

I get that you think I'm an idiot. But the guy's a philosophy teacher, care to detail why he's wrong? At least why you don't agree with his stated position on agnostic atheism?

Why do I doubt it?
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used to do very technical, complicated work, writing programs to determine overbilling issues and correctly credit people who were overcharged. It was stressful, because a mistake could cost the company I worked for money, potentially large sums of money, the billing system was complex, convoluted really, overbilling could potentially run into the millions, my work was audited, but those audits were limited by the skill of the auditors.

The only way I could sleep at night was to give it my best, use all the skills and knowledge I possessed, work hard, and then stop worrying about it. At the end of the day, if mistakes were made, I would know that I did the best I could, given the limits of my knowledge, skills and abilities and the challenges inherent in the job.

That is how I feel about belief in God. I did my best to look at all available evidence and made a rational decision based on where the evidence led me. I found the evidence for God was lacking. If there is a God, and he judges me unkindly for making the best decision I could make, then he is not a fair and just God, and therefore not actually God, or not a God I could worship.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Why would you admire an approach that is the least thoughtful? It seems like something an intelligent and thoughtful person would av... oh, wait. Got it.

Because it references a much studied and thought about field that I think is relevant to the topic and question posed regarding the definition of atheism. Negative/positive atheism are valid definitions discussed at length and worth mentioning for those to investigate. Clearly some educated minds have put much thought into the subject. Perhaps not worthy of discussing here though.

What was that you were saying? You think of circle jerks and scat? Like, a lot? Maybe you should see someone. Just sayin...

lol

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

StuffwotIfink:

You make some good points and I and I don't disagree with a lot of it.

However my world does not revolve around belief or definitive conclusions, I feel for me personally that would be foolhardy to do so. Let's say my "jury" is always out studying the evidence - while never reaching a verdict, pertinent evidence and facts are being considered while everything proven to be factual is retained. The important part is the pertinent evidence, as there may be evidence that is yet to be proven but if that evidence doesn't have any baring or influence on my investigational processes, I have the sort of mind which immediately trash cans it because I don't see the point in cluttering my mind with irrelevant information.

If something can't be proven or disproven - like aliens and UFOs - since they don't affect the planet in any real way, I would rather not bother wasting my time contemplating the issue. If evidence is made available, obviously I'll adjust my thinking.

Just wanted to say thank you for the video you posted: Is Religion a mental illness? Ya gotta be cazy to think so. I enjoyed the reasoning very much and certainly helps me understand the mentality a lot better.
  • stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    SecretSlaveClass

Perfect. I don't understand why some people have a problem doing what you just did. It does not weaken your position in any way.

If you wanted to, you could hold the position of strong atheism, with the same exact justification you used.

"I believe there is no god because I find no evidence where I would expect to find evidence"

Simple.
    No justification beyond that is needed. All anyone is ever doing is justifying their own personal position.
    I respect you openly answering the question with intellectual honesty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit