What is your favorite Broadway show?

by LyinEyes 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I have never seen a show on Broaway but I have seen "Broadway" shows and been to London's Westend.

I watched "Westside Story" again (on TV) last week. One of my favorites, for several reasons, is "South Pacific." I saw that on stage in St. Paul last year, it was wonderful!!

Thirdson

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I saw Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Caberet, Showboat, and I dunno if this counts but also Tap Dogs, and Stomp.

I am not a HUGE fan of musicals...but they can be fun...(I prefer just regular old plays)...I haven't personally seen it but my sister when and saw the Lion King when she was in London and she said it was AMAZING...

• not interested
    not interested

ok, i dont want to admit this but,

Mrs siagon was awsome, so was fiddler on the roof, phantom of the opera, the sound of music, beauty and the beast, tap dogs, and stomp, there are a few more brodway shows that i have seem that i cant think of now, but its a awsome experience, ohhhh lion king was great too.

NI..... of the i like brodway but im still a man klass..........lol

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I'm ashamed to admit that, while I've lived my entire life within about 3 hours of NYC (and now live less than 1 hour away) I've only seen three actual on-Broadway shows in my life: Hair in 1970, Saturday Night Fever, about 3 years ago, and The Graduate last year. The latter was a little disappointing, as I had been looking forward to seeing Kathleen Turner on stage as Mrs. Robinson, but she was on vacation when we went and the role was played by Linda Gray. I would even have been happy to see Lorraine Bracco, who took over the role later on, but no such luck.

I saw the road version of Phantom of the Opera in Boston, and that was simply magnificent.

And, my wife and I are subscribers to the Paper Mill Playhouse here in NJ, so six times a year, we see some very professional, well-done theater, often with major stars. Last year, one of the plays was I'm Not Rappaport, revived at the Paper Mill with Judd Hirsch and Ben Vereen just before it re-opened on Broadway. This season so far, we've seen Miss Saigon, Annie and a play I had never heard of, Blue, starring Leslie Uggams. That last one was much better than I expected it to be; I didn't think it looked that interesting from the pre-advertisement, but I really enjoyed it. Still upcoming for the remainder of the season are Romeo and Bernadette (this coming Saturday), a comedy that is said to combine Shakespeare with the Sopranos, then later in the season, Camelot, and to close the season, Grease.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I've seen a few.....

Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Damn Yankees and The Whos Tommy

Id have to say that they were all excellent.....Phantom had awesome effects and I love the music, Damn Yankees was absolutely hysterically funny and Miss Saigon even made me well up, but my favorite would be Tommy....

I have only seen it on TV but I'm know that it would take the place of my favorite (of live performances that is) if I ever got to see Sweeney Tood in the theatre. Its currently my favorite but technically not one I've seen on stage.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I can't tell you how many "broadway" shows I've seen (would give away my age). My parents took us to the Munie Opera in St Louis every summer.

I drug my hubby to Broadway and saw several shows there when we lived in NYC. (He hated it, fell asleep through some.) I would say my favorite is The WIZ, hubby even enjoyed that one. We saw it in 1975. It was much better than the movie.

There is not a broadway play I would not recommend. I love life performances and symphonies.

j2bf

• Angharad
    Angharad

Les Miserables is fantastic and my favourite one that I've seen so far. Dont forget you hanky if you go to that.

We've also seen Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Evita and Chicago and enjoyed all of them too

I would love to see Miss Saigon but havent had the chance yet.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I saw "Barnam & Barnum "in London Also" The King & I" Really wonderful

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Wife and I went to see that " new show" playing on Broadway right now.........I can't remember the name of it..........you know the one where this couple travels to New York for a weekend away, to see a Broadway play, but the musicians are on strike, so all shows are cancelled....What's the name of that one ?

Kidding. Actually have seen only 1 live show of Broadway caliber, and that was the "Phantom" at Pantages in Toronto. Had primo seats, 5 rows from the front. Actually got my hair singed I think. Incredible performance. Funny thing too, fellow sitting to my right was a big strong strapping guy, and when the chandelier came crashing down, this fellow was so startled, he actally screamed and almost ended up in my lap ! LOL

• Dolphin57
    Dolphin57

I saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway! It was excellent. I've seen the Phantom of the Opera about 3 times (it's my favorite). My dream is to see it on Broadway.... I've seen musicals like Cats, Riverdance, Grease, Stomp, Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Barefoot in the Park..(I know there is more but I cant remember) and alot of concerts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit