What is your favorite Broadway show?

by LyinEyes 37 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot
    As a JW I never pursued my interest in the Arts, and I let that part of me die. Now I am beginning to live life again, and I am picking up things that interested me when I was younger.

LyinEyes: Do you mean studying in the field of the Arts to become, say, a singer or dancer? Or just attending many cultural events? What I mean is that I was a super-dub for many years, but have attended as many operas, Broadway plays/musicals, off-Broadway plays, touring Broadway musicals, theatre, ballet, etc. as my pocketbook and vacation time would allow. Did your parents not let you attend these types of events? What about as an adult? or do you mean that as a dub, with so many things to do - service, meetings, study, etc. etc. - you were just never able to pursue your dreams? I'm just curious, I know it's easier for me to pursue what I'm interested in since I make a fairly decent salary, am single and can do basically whatever I please, rather than someone with kids and/or husband who isn't interested in the same kind of stuff.

As for your question () I'd have to say Phantom of the Opera was my favourite, even more than Les Misérables, both of which I've seen several times. I must say that the Montreal production of Les Misérables, with Robert Marien, was my favourite, and the Toronto production of Phantom (with Colm Wilkinson) was the best of the Phantoms IMHO. However, I must specify that the above-noted productions had to have those particular singers, otherwise my choices change.

My favourite play on Broadway was a couple of years back when I saw Waiting in the Wings with Lauren Bacall. However, I've always been a Bogie and Bacall fan so I am somewhat prejudiced.

Many years ago I saw My Fair Lady on Broadway with Rex Harrison. Also the play Arsenic and Old Lace with the actress who portrayed Archie Bunker's wife in All in the Family. Also, I go to the local theatre regularly. So much to do, so little time.

Sigh, if only the Canadian dollar would gain more in value next to the U.S. one, New York would see me much more often!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Another one I'd love to see is 'Jesus Christ Superstar' - I've downloaded some of the music from it and it sounds great

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I was very interested in dancing as a young girl , age 11, I took ballet , tap and jazz but had to stop. I have arthritis and the dancing was too much for my feet, and I needed surgery on both of them.

It broke my heart to stop, and my parents were all to glad of it,,,,,,,they decided it was not a good thing for me to be going to this school, because of the recitals, dealing with the holidays etc. and the revealing little tutus can you believe that. My father was especially one to find the sin in everything.

In high school , I always excelled in Literature, and Art. My art teacher tried to apply for various scholarships and programs, I can't even remember much of what they were, but I do remember having to say no.. I will never forget the lump in my throat seeing the disappointment in my teacher's face as I told her the ......." I'm going to be a pioneer , and put God's kingdom first...etc etc. " speech.

I later, got married, young, had my first baby, and lived an hour from the city. My days were filled with taking care of my babies, working, meetings, service, study, etc. So I let those interest fade and go into hiding for many years. And i was in a very conservative congregation, I swear if you were not out in service you always felt like you better have a good reason,,,,,,,like you have a broken leg, and well that wouldnt even be a good one for long. So , pleasure vacations, trips to town, going to see movies even was something we didnt do alot of, although I was dying inside to be back in the bigger city , and to experience all in life I had not yet.

So that brings me to where I am now, been out of being a JW for a year,,,,and I am ready to see what is out there, without the guilt, no one will tell me what to see , or that I should be using my time for pursuing spiritual goals.

It is so easy as a witness to let parts of yourself die,,,,,because we were told so many times that when we got baptized , we gave our lives to Jehovah and we didnt live for ourselves. This was the way it was preached in our little congregation of about 40 publishers and can you believe in this congregation there were 11 to 15 regular pioneers, and many aux pioneers? I got so sick of hearing how I should be pioneering, and it made me think that my service to Jehovah was not complete unless I did it. Even when they said each person has to ask why they are not pioneering, and you know what you can do,it still made you feel like you were never doing enough.

Everyone I have really enjoyed your experiences with the shows you have seen. It really made me realize how much in a shell I have lived in for so many years. I really think I was afraid to reach out and go for what I wanted all that time, I was afraid I would love it too much........I probably will, and there is nothing wrong with that,,,,,,,,lol........ I will let you know when I see my first show, even if it is a local production.

• manon
    manon

West side story

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Mama Mia is by far the best show I've seen on Broadway

• acsot
    acsot

LyinEyes: I understand your experience. My hometown congregation was as the one you described; small, ultra-conservative, everything not service related was a sin.

I remember in high school wanting to go to get my degree in journalism. Well, that sure didn't happen. I pioneered instead. Perhaps deep down inside I knew that I would eventually have to be true to who I am; I hated my small town and moved out as soon as possible. Of course, it was to pioneer and "serve where the need was greater", but it did eventually get me into the city. Things weren't as bad for me, in one sense, because my dad wasn't a JW. He was an alcoholic, however, so that was a whole other issue to deal with. But I did get vacations away from my home town, we visited lots of places in the U.S. (I'm Canadian), and even though my mother and I would be attending the district conventions in those cities it still gave us time to do other stuff like go to plays.

Now that I'm uh, 40-something, I'm taking journalism classes at night, but am quite aware of the fact that I probably won't be working in my dream vocation. I'm doing it for me, which is a good enough reason, I suppose . I'd also love to study Literature and Philosophy later on.

Someone else told me that Mama Mia was fabulous. I'd love to see that one.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

i've had the priveledge of seeing several shows on Broadway. I've also doen several musicals.

Phantom of the Opera

Les Miserables

Guys and Dolls

Sweeney Todd

Dr. Jekell and Mr. hyde

Damn Yankees

My favorite to do though were Grease and Damn Yankees.

p.s. I HATED Cats

• freedom96
    freedom96

Phantom is very good. Don't know what to compare it too being that I have not been to any others yet.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I haven't seen them on Broadway, but I've seen several professional shows, that have also been on Broadway. We have a theater here in Seattle, and the shows do come here regularly. They've been advertising My Fair Lady this week.

So, we've seen: Annie, Phantom of the Opera (3 times), Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, and we saw Riverdance last year. All were great!!

I guess I liked Phantom the most. (obviously, since I saw it 3 times)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

42nd Street (2001 revival, 12 Tony awards!) A must see; one of the originals and the NY run was the best.

Fiddler: Man a real tear jerker, great

RENT: modern morality, for sure, but the music is extraordinary

Phantom: Visual spectacle, especially with current technology for the stage

Showboat: also a must see, a historic piece of theater and great music

MY favorite, hands down: Les Miserables. It is just impossible to describe the emotion in this play. The theme is forgiveness and redemption, and it is so well done. I always lose it during the scene with Jean Valjean and the angels around him

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit