Advice to reduce hours earn less and spend more time on the ministry

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I noticed the Bible was near the bottom of the list of items to bring.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

It’s already starting in congregations here in the UK.

Some haven’t paid their utilities and rents in such a long time.

To start with some slightly wealthier older ones give a couple of hundred pounds in an envelope but it’s for food for the kids.

the problem was always that the direction was to work less hours and shitty jobs at that.

now the world is facing something similar to a modern version of the Great Depression

the congregations will be really struggling as the banking system continues to collapse.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EXBETHELITENOWPIMA:

Yes, the world is in awful shape. Those of us (whether JWs or not) who did the right thing and worked and saved still have to watch our pennies!

So, what hope is there for people who hardly worked, didn’t prepare for the future and instead preached for a religion?? WHOSE fault is this?? I’m glad that you admit indirectly that it is the religion’s fault - as it is they who gave the ‘direction’ you refer to.

But, it’s not just a case of people not wanting to work. No, it’s the hateful attitudes and class distinctions in the congregations that cannot be forgiven. I’m just grateful I stuck to my guns and kept my job till the end. As for those you mention who give charity…that’s their business.

I’m sure the congregations are struggling as there are TOO MANY needy Witnesses in one place. This is the end result of pursuing poverty for DECADES when they should have been holding down decent jobs instead.

What a mess. Glad to be Out because I’d run from them in horror.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

there are TOO MANY needy Witnesses in one place. This is the end result of pursuing poverty for DECADES when they should have been holding down decent jobs instead.

good point, the congregations of JWs are now full on uneducated unqualified min wage part time workers who were told not to pursue higher education or well paid careers.

there is a concentration of low paid, renters who never bought a property or never paid into a pension because they were told the end would be here before they retired.

No wonder they are reducing pioneer hour requirements, but it’s too little too late.

There are so many approaching their later years that are now suddenly starting to panic, they spent the majority of their life in service for WTower and never gave a second thought about preparing for their later years.

Will the branch do anything to help the needy ones? Yes they will tell the congregations to help them while they carry in asking for more funds to build the expensive Hollywood studios

• Bribie
    Bribie

Yes it has become very difficult for some witnesses to even survive week to week.

We have rising living costs here in Australia and more people are becoming homeless. Children are going without good nutrition and so are adults. Things just keep getting worse. Can be very tiresome to have to deal with these issues every day and still we await the GT. Hope you are all coping as best you can. I do find that when things do get tight then something always comes along to help me through. It’s good to be positive despite the worsening conditions and also helpful to have family and friends.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Of course some JWs are still chasing pyramid scemes that scam everyone involved. Some that I know were propositioned by fellow "brothers" wanting "help" them make "ginormous" amounts of money.

JWdom is in trouble as the chickens have come home to roost. Those who didn't follow the narrative considered the real future and learned a trade or went to school and are now able to provide for themselves. All the while, they were pariahs to the rest of the faithful who are now up a creek without a wing and a prayer.

LHG won't be at anyones door begging them to erase mistakes of the past, so I'm calling her a winner. All the others... they might be on the losing end of the stick, not the carrot.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Will the branch do anything to help the needy ones? Yes they will tell the congregations to help them while they carry in asking for more funds to build the expensive Hollywood studios

Not only NO. . .but HELL NO!

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

There are some young brothers who have no trades they are just cleaning and cutting grass

they are struggling as much as anybody

some older elders and pioneers are also struggling and these young brothers were asked to help them by the body of elders

which really meant free labour

This elderly couple have adult children in the truth but they are so ‘busy’ they ask the parents congregation to look after them.

the elders just ask these brothers to cut the grass, fix the gutters and clean for them. No money as everyone is broke from following direction.

I feel these young brothers are being taken advantage of and the real adult children should be paying them or at least doing it themselves. But of course they are simply too ‘busy’

this older couple can hardly walk to the bathroom these days but want to go to the convention. They are asking for special parking tickets but they can’t afford a car. The adult children should take them but no they are saying the congregation must take them and pay for them and look after them all three days

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

There is also a big problem these days with the disaster relief plans.

the branch use free labour from volunteers to do the work and then the branch gets the insurance money, it’s a big money spinner

the problem is often the brothers who’s homes were damaged were much more wealthy than those they are volunteering to help. They fix up these homes for free then go back to a cheap little rental and must be wondering this doesn’t seem right?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EXBETHELITENOWPIMA & THOMAS MORE:

This is a human tragedy on a massive scale.

When you think about it: nobody in their right mind pursues poverty deliberately. It’s bad enough if it happens to somebody because of circumstances, etc.! This is why I couldn’t bring myself to quit a decent job and do cleaning! I said to myself I’m a citizen who speaks English who has an education. Why on earth would I do something so incredibly foolish. ALL the older generation there were all collecting their pensions!!! They worked! So why wouldn’t I?

Please believe I would never gloat about this. But, I was truly treated like an outcast. I believe there were Witnesses there who actually hated me.. Well, I hope they can pay their bills now.

I’m really out because of the 1995 Generation thing.. But, If I were there now I’d be the victim of the double whammy: being treated like shit because I worked - only to have people coming up to me now asking for money!

The irony is those who hated me for working then would hate me now because I wouldn’t give out handouts. I can see them ganging up on somebody. It’s scary. Who’d want to be around this desperation??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit