How do we know the WTS monitors this site? Can anyone tell me for sure?

by LevelThePlayingField 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Saintbertholdt - was this from a video you posted here?
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I wonder about this too. And once upon a time, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, I shared here and on other ex-JW sites the major reason for my awakening -- it was due to looking through the BS book, My Book of Bible Stories. I was going to give this book to my little grandchildren when I suddenly saw it through their little eyes, and the images were so shocking, frightening and horrible to me.

I posted about this, and poof -- a year or two later comes Caleb and Sophia. Now I'm not saying there is a connection, but it does make me wonder.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi LevelThePlayingField,

Yeah it was a mirror of the public talk introducing the overlapping generations. The original video poster who posted the transcript of the 2010 DC generation talk got flagged and he asked that it be mirrored by the ex-JW YouTube community in protest.

All the protesters got flagged by the wtbs of Pennsylvania.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Then I rest my case.

We now know then that the WTS DOES monitor this site. Thank you!! :)

Hello Watchtower!

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

The weird thing is they claimed copyright infringement on the transcript of a public talk.

Let me repeat: ...transcript of a PUBLIC talk.

The wtbts really did not want the overlapping generation being announced by anyone other than an official representative from a JW convention podium.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Saintbertholdt: The weird thing is they claimed copyright infringement on the transcript of a public talk.

Speeches are subject to copyright protection just as much as any other intellectual property. The odd thing is that it is the person that gave the speech that would own the copyrights, unless specifically transferred.

See: Copyright Registration of Books, Manuscripts, and Speeches (Library of Congress, US Copyright Office)

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

What about fair use? This was not done without attribution and was primarily focused on news worthiness and education. Two YouTube users actually filed counter claims on the above basis and the wtbts did not follow up with legal action. Just for interest sake, wouldn't it be like the US president filing a DMCA for a transcript of the state of the union address?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

SB: Just for interest sake, wouldn't it be like the US president filing a DMCA for a transcript of the state of the union address?

No it would not. Speeches by federal employees are in the public domain.

Fair use does not allow for anything under copyright to be reproduced in whole without the express permission of the copyright holder. Only excerpts may be used for legitimate purposes such as education, journalistic reporting, etc.

Are speeches public domain?

Historical Speeches

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Speeches by federal employees are in the public domain...Fair use does not allow [reproduction] in whole without the express permission

It all sounds reasonable. In any case the Watchtower did not decide to pursue the counter claims. One was done by Dustin [LuciousVBogeyman] and he actually made a video of him doing the counter claim.The wtbts of Pennsylvania probably felt it was not worth pursuing as they had accomplished the removal of most of the videos in any case.

• Doctor Who

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit