The Holidays Are No Big Deal Anymore

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• staypuft
    staypuft

Christmas is alive and well in most metro areas. So is Hannukah, and in smaller versions, Solstice and Kwanza (the latter is a fake holiday IMO, sorry).

The point for me is this - it's a time of year when families and friends gather. Hell, even people you don't really like gather (holiday parties).

As someone with a toe in and most of a foot out, it's a pretty shitty time of the year, honestly.
    I start feeling lonely around Halloween, round the bend at New Years, and it's not until I make a token appearance at the Memorial that the new year really begins for me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I noticed the change around 2007, with few houses having Christmas lights (and those who still had decorations up, had fewer). This trend has gotten worse since then, with wimpier and wimpier displays being the normal. Instead of competing to see who can decorate the most, the competition is to see who can have the wimpiest, lamest display of all.

Other aspects seem watered down. There are fewer Christmas specials on TV, and fewer Christmas songs in stores than only 15 or 20 years ago. For a while, they would start Christmas songs up, solid, the minute after Thanksgiving and continue them through New Year's Day. Not any more.

And I rarely see the types of Christmas advertisements and in-store displays that were so common in the 1970s. Where is that Sears Wish Book? I understand stores come and go, but why don't you see a Walmart Wish Book or an Amazon Wish Book? Or anything even remotely resembling such? And no, those 16-page inserts in the snoozepapers do not count. (Not that I would shop Walmart any more, since all they carry is rubbish.) I almost never hear of any major holiday events downtown, either--even in small towns, they had bigger Christmas displays in the mid 1970s than they do in big cities today (unless you are in New York City). But, at this rate, a small town in Montana or Idaho in 1975 would be better lit for Christmas than New York City in 2020.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And yes, I agree that Kwanzaa is a bogus "holiday". It was stolen from Lammas Day, corrupted, moved to December 26 through January 1, and used as a weapon to racist-ize Christmas. This helps no one--Lammas Day was supposed to be held around August 1 and commemorate the harvest. Everyone loses when these holidays are moved around and corrupted--whites lose Christmas (and yes, blacks also lose it), and blacks lose Lammas Day (whites, too) in favor of a corrupted version. If we just put the holidays back where they belong and bring them back to their original condition, we can all enjoy them to the full.

And no, we do not need to put jesus back where it never was. That thing came around some 2,000 years ago and infested Europe with the Inquisition. Christmas was celebrated long before this infestation. The pagan Christmas, also known as Yule, was held between December 23 and January 6. And they didn't wait until 5 minutes before Yule was to start to prepare and rip it all down immediately after, either. And that Kwanzaa holiday was originally Lammas Day, celebrated the first of August as it was supposed to have been. Everyone enjoyed both holidays without being "racist", and there was no political correctness to ruin everything.

Then came jesus, and it all went to heaven in a handbasket. That was when the corruption began. Lammas Day ceased to be held (Beltane, also), and the other holidays (Christmas, Easter, and Halloween) were corrupted. And this xian rubbish has been getting worse--using its other tools to totally ruin our cultures by mixing them into a big mess. And mostly, it is political correctness that is herding us out of our holidays and into Noahide Law where there will be no holidays. No Christmas. No New Years Day. Not even that corrupted Kwanzaa, let alone its parent Lammas Day. It will be like jokehovianism, the deluxe version.

• caves
    caves

I think its highly dependent on where one lives. I live in a small rural town and most everyone says Merry Christmas.

The neighboring town is super liberal, I used to live there and now it makes me want to vomit. People there go out of their way to "educate" people about the many 'folly's' of saying Merry Christmas. Its disgusting. The far left sucks ass.

• minimus
    minimus

It seems most on this thread agree that Christmas isn’t like it used to be.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

And yes, I agree that Kwanzaa is a bogus "holiday". It was stolen from Lammas Day, corrupted, moved to December 26 through January 1, and used as a weapon to racist-ize Christmas.

WTWizard ...

I still prefer Festivus. It was not stolen from anyone and not used as a weapon.

Rub a Dub

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

ALL holidays are made up.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

People there go out of their way to "educate" people about the many 'folly's' of saying Merry Christmas. Its disgusting. The far left sucks ass.

caves ...

Other than a person being insecure, why does it make any difference about someone saying "Merry this", or "Happy that"? Who gives a rats ass behind?

People need to get a good hobby or something.

Rub a Dub

• carla
    carla

No Abuse, please don't abuse our little red dot/m&m. Chill.

Merry Christmas!

• sparky1
    sparky1

I live in a rural village in Maine. The Victorian house across the street from ours is highly decorated and has 3 separate Christmas trees. The Victorian beside our house was recently purchased by 2 older gay gentlemen and they have decorated their home with excellent taste. (My subjective opinion, of course.) Today I have opened 3 separate Christmas cards/greetings sent to our business and have been wished merry Christmas just a few minutes ago. I helped Deborah decorate her tree over a month ago and she will have 3 different celebrations with her sons and grandchildren and their respective blended families. On Christmas day, she and I will go to the movies and have a picnic down by the ocean. (However, we will eat in the car and enjoy the ocean from inside the warm car.) Someone just came in my office and wished me Merry Christmas while I am posting. I guess your viewpoint on whether or not the holidays are a big deal depends on who you associate with, how many people you are exposed to and where you might live geographically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit