The Holidays Are No Big Deal Anymore

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

That’s my take on it. You used to hear Christmas music blaring on every radio station. Not anymore. People used to jam the roadways and malls to do their Christmas shopping and now it’s no big deal. People used to have huge XMAS lists for gift giving.Not so much now. Saying Merry Christmas is politically incorrect. Christmas is no big deal anymore.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree. I used to love Christmas. It was special, magical - a break in the boringness and mundaneness and routine of everyday life. My dad was not a JW and my mother was a weak one, so we had big, wonderful Christmases. I have a vivid imagination, so, as a child, all the "magical" stuff like elves & flying reindeer fascinated me and I loved it all. It was a weeks-long event for us. We had a real tree and it made the whole house smell like pine or cedar. That smell still brings back memories for me.

I used to love to go to malls and see all the hustle and bustle of people shopping, see all the special vendors in the aisles, hear the beautiful Christmas music (to me, some of the prettiest ever produced), see all the decorations, etc., but as you said, it just ain't like that anymore. It seems to be dying.

What's killing it? I believe online shopping and political correctness - the desire not to offend those of religions that don't celebrate Christmas (that's another whole topic for me, and I have strong feelings about it).

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I agree that Christmas has lost something for me. I also agree that it has to do with shopping on line. I don't buy many people gifts, but the ones I do are mostly through Amazon, way easier! In fact about the only gifts I actually purchase in person are a couple of gift cards to local restaurants that I give to the letter carrier and the garbage truck driver, two people I don't actually know. It would probably be different if I had little kids around.

I do still have fun doing a little celebrating on Solstice which is coming up December 21 at 10:19 PM CST. I will have a couple of drinks with a few friends and if it's not too cold, meaning below 0, we will have a fire outside. I let my inner pagan out once in a while.

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

Minibrain said: "Saying Merry Christmas is politically incorrect."

Only in your delusional FoxNews alternate reality. Seriously, do you ever leave your basement? Christmas is quite alive and well.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Not celebrating Xmas since I was 8, it was something everyone else did. Most people I know who did celebrate have outgrown it. Kids move on, many people have died that kept the tradition and religion has taken to supporting the "me first" screw everyone else tradition. Yep, online shopping has become the "Catalogue" way to shop and people are more interested in going shopping without the risk of being shot. (of course that's mostly sarcasm but there is a bit of that in people's minds. People think in terms of exit strategies from stores et. all). When I was 8 xmas was a blast. Now? Meh.

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

Minibrain said: "People used to jam the roadways and malls to do their Christmas shopping and now it’s no big deal."

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"
    I guess the insane traffic and christmas lights on every house is a figment of my imagination.

Once again, have you left your basement at any point since the Reagan administration?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

On;line shopping has relieved some of the crowds. But Christmas is every bit as special as it used to be.

It is about family being together in most people's celebrations, then gift giving to make it even more special. Having Christ in Christmas has been reducing in my observation, but the importance of being together on Christmas is alive and well.

Finding a person who will be alone on Christmas is important for many to be able to invite them over to share the celebration.

Volunteering and donating is higher during the Christmas season. ( I forgot my source for this)

However, you are quite correct that it is increasingly politically incorrect to say "Merry Christmas". In business it is considered necessary to wish Happy Holidays.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There is increasingly little interest in Christmas, at least here in South Florida. Fewer and fewer homes are decorated with lights.

I think it is more about the shopping, gifts and time off from work.

Rub a Dub

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Christmas means beautiful lights and decorations, delicious food, getting together with family and other people I like and care about.

I can ignore the ugly commercialized aspect of it. I like a combination of an old-fashioned homey type Christmas and a little of the religious type. I also love Medieval art depictions of Christmas that you would see at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

RUB A DUB:

I agree that So. Florida doesn’t lend itself to a winter holiday like Christmas and I didn’t see as many decorations as you’d see up north..but I was still able to enjoy the Christmas spirit when I visited family there!

• minimus
    minimus

NoAbuse is now so abused. One angry abused Ewart Chitty lover. Seems pretty repressed in a certain area. Pretty infatuated with men’s basements.👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit