The Holidays Are No Big Deal Anymore

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I guess the radio stations keep on doing what works for them. Really, if you want 24x7 Christmas music, you can have that. I'll bet I <heart> radio has a whole station devoted to that. If you have satellite radio, they do. Or you can put a mix on your phone. If you want to hear Christmas music, there's no excuse not to. Radio stations don't have to be responsible. And most stations I hear play occasional Christmas tunes. Usually if a popular artist records it. So it's not the classic versions, but still. I'm sure they did polls to find out what their audience really wants.

Every store I step into is playing Christmas music, BTW.

Haven't you noticed? People don't jam malls anymore. And it has nothing to do with a lack of Christmas spirit. 2 malls in the area have closed in the past 3 years where I live and the others aren't the mecca they once were. At my former employer (a major retail chain), we knew malls were dying in the early 2000's and started moving to a stand-alone store model.

You can find better deals and exactly what you want online without having to park 3 blocks away from a store entrance just to get in, wade through crowds, try to find what you want in picked-over and unorganized displays, then stand in checkout lines for upwards of 30-60 minutes. All the while sweating to death in that jacket you wore because it was f'ing freezing outside when you left the house and didn't think about being indoors for 4 hours just to buy 2 things. And you think to yourself, "next year, I'm just going online".

And if their lists are shorter, ask why. The bankers tanked our economy 11 years ago under Bush Jr's watch and many people are still recovering and/or are way more cautious with their money now. Why go in debt on the credit card for the next 6 months to try to please everybody when you could be looking for work next month? Not to mention the Federal employees who might have to go without pay because Trump is using them as pawns for some crazy wall. Many federal employees are probably saving their money so they can survive if there's no more money coming in at the start of the new year.

And the other poster is right. Nobody blinks an eye at whatever you say or hear. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever. That's a made-up controversy. One that you probably never noticed until somebody pointed out a difference between the two sayings and told people to be outraged about it. 20 years ago if somebody wished you Happy Holidays, you probably went home and if asked about it, you could've sworn the clerk said Merry Christmas. But now you're on the lookout and if you hear Happy Holidays, you take note.

• LV101
    LV101

Spoke too soon - more houses just went roadkill decorating (spectacular xmas lighting/ornaments/xmas objects) - late in the season this year for a couple of residences but they've indicated all year they're so slammed with the great economy (2nd/3rd generation business owners and 2 younger families/new businesses - amazing!) they can't keep up.

Malls so busy here. We have a strip full of malls, the high end - we were rated second-best shopping in world behind Rome, Italy, before the country's recession/Obama depression here and Carter/liberal triple digit inflation housing horror that crippled latter part of the Bush term - in addition to normal malls of most cities. You can't find a parking space - always the case around here/any holiday. This has been going on for month of December. Local restaurants packed. Plenty of clerks and extra checkouts. Fed Ex/UPS trucks taking up roadways - it's an awesome economy and people are traveling, spending money and living the good life again.

Capitalism at its best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit