To all the wednesday haters out there...

by Valis 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ha ha!

Some Americans want English spoken correctly, eh?

*Gurgle*

Englishman, what always peaks perfickly proper.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I want to add:

I do see the irony.

However, I do believe that people do better in the country they move to when they learn the language. Most immigrants, to any country, will do better educationally, economically and socially, if they learn the language. Most immigrants do not have on-the-job-training to teach them the language of where they are being transferred to. They learn it however. It does not matter if they are moving to the USA or Honduras.

If I moved to Mexico, I am sure that I could/would find natives who speak English, however, I would learn Spanish so I would fit in better, make more friends and enjoy the experience.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

NewSense(no sense?):

As Valis is found of saying "Don't shit where you eat" or something to that effect You arrive to a forum and in less than 50 posts insult someone. We are not here to critique grammar and spelling, I get enough of that in real life. We are here to debate, upbuild and discuss with a lil fluff thrown in. I believe Simon is trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and not toss your rude butt. So why don't you put down your thesauruses and boxing gloves and try to make friends not enemies?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

NewSense is a bully....

He/she/it insults many on this board...not just wednesday.

From a previous post:

Dec 13, 2002
    Then again, this wall "painting" may well be yet another attack by the Mad Crapper. The old farts of this forum (those people who are now in their late thirties and forties) will no doubt remember the infamous edition of the National Lampoon's high school yearbook. Does anybody remember that? Is anybody still keeping a copy of the "yearbook." Ah, yes, it was a veritable mile-stone in satirical writing. Hell, it made Swift's "A Modest Proposal" seem lame.

NewSense (I think NoSense), apparently, feels quite superior....makes one wonder if he/she/it is still a dub?

• Simon
    Simon

Xena

Again, this is an attempt to divert the issue away from what it was, namely about foreigners ability to speak English, and instead turn it into some different issue entirely: whether uneducated or poor spellers should be able to have an opinion!

The argument was a valid one that it is just as bad criticising someone's spelling as it is criticising them for their native tongue ... and perhaps more so.

Yes, he / she did it the wrong way but it is valid non-the-less. Yes, Wednesday was insulted but I felt insulted too by the thinly veiled racism and zenophobic attitudes being expressed as somehow being 'the way it should be'.

It sometimes seems everyone is allowed an opinion in America ... unless your opinion is that anything about America is less than perfection or if you dare to disagree with what 'America' decides is right.

• wednesday
    wednesday

well, lets see, i have been called WHITE TRASH, which i equal to being called Nigg** here in the USA. We would never tolerate calling someone nigg** here on the board.

I have been told to go to WALMART and buy a white sheet, and wear it.

I have been told i live in a trailer (but spelled it wrong).

U know what the truth is? I finished the ** grade and married. after my kids were grown I became a **. I got an ** . I actually did quite well in Literature. But u know american JR. colleges. And in the south too.Since ** i have been ill with ***and **/*** and ***problems.. I have to take mediction and i admit my cognitive functions have declined. and i admit my typing and spelling has deteroiated(ex sp) I worked with many people in the *profession for many years..Many of foreign descent.some tried to make sure their *. understood them, others didn't give a flip.As a pt. i was expected to trust my life to a nurse or doc who could not comminicate with me and openly had contempt for the american lifestyle(lazy americans)

I'm not too swift at the typing and the computer rattles me, as many of u know.

But i do not hate people and my only complaint was if someone was selling me something, i be able to understand them.Or if they were responsible for my healthcare, i be able to understand them. And they try and understand my lifestyle.

Btw, speaking and writing of a language are 2 different skills. 2 yr old children can speak English, but can't write sentences correctly. . how well i spell english, does not equate to how well i can be understood when talking.u learn to speak a lanuage by hearing it. Imagine how spanish speaking persons feel in the ER . That is why, many times there is someone there to help interpret for them. Now why should a english speaking person have less rights?

i hope all those who see me as too ignorant to live or post on this board are happy. i do now feel that way

• Simon
    Simon

I think I'll let you have the last word Wednesday and close this thread otherwise this whole thing is just going to run and run and will escalate until people fall out which I would not like to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit