To all the wednesday haters out there...

by Valis 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Trauma...I think you know better than that! As I said before, when the effort is made to assimilate then is makes it easier for everyone. I love interacting and learning from the people I come into contact with, and they are from all over the world BTW, automaatically calling someone a racist helps either...If one thinks wednesday is wrong, its a lot easier trying to reason and get to the root of her issue and comments that to just call her a racist asshole. You know what I'm saying dude.

bigboi...it is a touchy subject, and I deal with it every day...There are tons of good things to say about the immigrants that come here to live and thrive...Many times communication can be accomplished without conversing elloquently, or even typing well for that matter, its all about intent.Some can't see the forest for the trees though and would rather harp on meaningless typos versus the meaning behind what they are saying. Now that is irritating indeed...As well, communication is a two way street...I'll give you an example...I went to my girlfriend's relatives for XMAS...there was a girl there from Guatamala who had been here for more than 3 years and from what my girlfriend tells me she knows full well how to speak and understand English...well during the whole party while talking to her she chose to use a translator...kind of like some facade or whatever...that I do not like...another example...the young clerks at the grocery speaking in Spanish to each other and when they don't like a customer they say so alright, but in Spanish, so I would imagine the little old lady or man that was a tad difficult gets called a bad name and they never know it....they try to do this to me at school and I just smile and say yes, I am a cabron and I do like mis grisas gracias...I also remind them that they might be sitting in my class some day so please be careful what they say...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I do like to be able to understand my docs, nurses, xrays techs, and on and on.

I think it's likely they have a fairly good working command of the english language in order to be qualified to do their jobs. It is likely their accent that is a problem for you to understand. Where your health is concerned, of course, just ask till you get it right. The fact that medicine has a language of it's own probably doesn't help.

I notice that in the same circumstances, I might be able to understand a foreigner (or someone speaking eubonics, for that matter), while someone else (with a similar background to me) might not. Perhaps you aren't very good at this particular ability? I think for myself, it is partly effort on my part, partly my interest in dialects, but mostly innate ability.

Six- sumadem Eritrean chicks are dyme, class

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hi Wednesday,

I do not agree with how that other poster attacked you. Just because someone doesn't have perfect spelling skills does not make them a racist.

IMHO personal attacks are immature, and uncalled for.

But.........I also believe that people who move to this country, that do not speak English, should be given a chance. They may come here not speaking it, they do learn it. It just takes them a little time. Please give them a chance.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    bigboi...it is a touchy subject, and I deal with it every day...There are tons of good things to say about the immigrants that come here to live and thrive...Many times communication can be accomplished without conversing elloquently, or even typing well for that matter, its all about intent.Some can't see the forest for the trees though and would rather harp on meaningless typos versus the meaning behind what they are saying. Now that is irritating indeed...As well, communication is a two way street...I'll give you an example...I went to my girlfriend's relatives for XMAS...there was a girl there from Guatamala who had been here for more than 3 years and from what my girlfriend tells me she knows full well how to speak and understand English...well during the whole party while talking to her she chose to use a translator...kind of like some facade or whatever...that I do not like...another example...the young clerks at the grocery speaking in Spanish to each other and when they don't like a customer they say so alright, but in Spanish, so I would imagine the little old lady or man that was a tad difficult gets called a bad name and they never know it....they try to do this to me at school and I just smile and say yes, I am a cabron and I do like mis grisas gracias...I also remind them that they might be sitting in my class some day so please be careful what they say...

Good points all around Valis. I also don;t like the fact that many immigrants seem to put on the pretense of being ignorant of the language when in fact they are not. Maybe if there were some standard to adhere to then that could be a good deterrerent to that type of deception. I work with a guy who has a very thick South American accent. He has been in this country probably longer than I've been alive and I know for a fact that he uses his accent to make ppl think he's less intelligent and as a consequence is not well liked on the job. I sometimes tell him that when he's at home he probably speaks English w/ an English accent. We both get a good laugh out of that.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

((((((Wednesday)))))))(((((((Valis)))))))for having the B**** to stand up for Wed.

• AlanF
    AlanF

While in principle I agree that people should make a serious effort to write well, in practice it can be very difficult for some people to do it. One of the most astute posters on this board suffers from dyslexia, and that is a purely physical problem that is difficult enough to overcome that he sometimes has to choose between spending enough time to fix his transposition of letters, and not posting at all. So people should make allowances for such things, or they might miss some very good comments.

I think that some of the verbal beatings delivered to Wednesday were given, not because of her obvious typing and grammar problems, but because of her controversial (to some) political views. In other words, certain posters resorted to pure ad hominem arguments. There is nothing wrong with pointing out certain writing problems, when done with grace and moderation, but it is totally out to lunch to resort to only ad hominems.

As for foreign residents of the U.S. not speaking English, I think that most of those who fail to learn proper American English do so out of sheer laziness. I had an aunt who lived for 35 years in Colombia and never bothered to learn Spanish. I always regarded that as gross stupidity and laziness. Her behavior in other ways confirmed that opinion of her in general. She holed up in their apartment and let her husband communicate with the outside world.

I lived for 15 months in Geneva, Switzerland in 1998-1999. I had to learn French pretty quickly to get along in doing everyday things like shopping. Most people I worked with spoke English well. They had to in order to work in a high-tech field at all, and this made it all too easy for me to be lazy and not put in the time required to learn the local language. So I gave in to my natural inclination to be lazy and didn't put enough time in. Why? Because I'm lazy! And I thought that I'd rather do more fun things. Now I'm sorry that I didn't force myself to learn a lot more.

But I still tried. After being in Europe for a few months, we went to Paris for a few days. When we arrived at the hotel I thought I'd try to talk to the desk clerk in French, and so in my broken French I tried to check us in. The clerk looked at me with some amusement and let me go on for a couple of minutes, then said in excellent English, "Shall we switch to English now?" We all cracked up. At least the guy had the courtesy to rescue me before I made a complete fool of myself.

While I personally understand how easy it is to be lazy in learning the local language, there is still no excuse not to, especially not when someone lives for many years in a foreign country. My wife's 1st husband was of Mexican extraction and there were older people in his family who had lived in the U.S. for decades and not learned more than ten words of English. They were as lazy as my aunt and a lot lazier than I was in not learning enough French. One of my stepsons got engaged to a Japanese girl this past year (they recently broke it off) and he spent a great deal of time learning her language, since their plan was to eventually live in Japan to raise their kids. He had the right attitude.

This past year my company hired a Chinese graduate student to work in my design department (we design microchips). We worked together a lot on one project, and I got to know this young man as being a fine person and an extremely dedicated worker. His English was so broken and so heavily accented, though, that all of us could barely understand him. But he worked at it, and after about six months his English was much better. He expressed to me exactly the same sort of frustration in not being able to communicate properly as I had had in not being able to communicate well in French. So this is a universal problem of people living in foreign countries.

I simply can not understand why anyone would avoid learning the local language after being in a foreign country for years. It's the most frustrating thing not to be able to find toothpicks, toothpaste, toilet paper and so forth in a store because you don't know the words. I truly think that it's pure laziness when a person accepts that frustration for years on end because it's too much trouble to learn the language.

AlanF

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Sacre Blu, Alan, that was à propos and written with savoir-faire... (two years of French in HS and all I can do is count)

Edited to add: I agree with Alan on all counts...{{wednesday}}

• minimus
    minimus

Wednesday, I'm sorry to see that some have attacked you. Think about it this way, you are in good company.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

One thing is certain on this board; if you have strong opinions of controversial subjects (and sometimes not so controversial subjects), you will get flamed. Period. It's best not to take the "responses" too personally. Take a deep breath and remember it's most likely not meant as strongly as it comes across.

As far as language goes. After four years of taking Spanish in school (straight A's and I used to tutor other students), and losing much of my ability to speak it because of years of neglect, I am attempting to brush up on my skills again. My main motivation is I have started working at my son's school and most of the staff is Mexican. Well, being the Caucasian girl that I am (I hate the term "white") I am given the cold shoulder by much of the staff. The assumption being that I am some privileged white princess that doesn't know hardship or prejudice. I shared this with one of my Mexican coworkers and she agreed. Because she is very lighted skinned, she was also treated with an arm's distance until they found out she was Hispanic. So, she understood where I was coming from.

Little do they know that I grew up in a racially mixed neighborhood with lots of Mexican friends. I dated several Mexican men before I got married. My sister-in-law is Mexican and my two nieces are half Mexican. I worked with Hispanic bosses and had Hispanic subordinates. In short, I am very comfortable with, and have much knowledge about, Mexican culture (for a white girl, anyway). Oh well, I'm not going to sell myself to them. I'm just going to start talking Spanish like a MEXICAN. heh heh

Can you say...¡Buenos días, las Damas! ¿Cómo usted es? ¡Soy fantasic!

Do I think that people that come to live in the US speak English? Yes. There is no larger barrier than the inability to communicate. We may all be Americans, but if we can't communicate there is tremendous misunderstanding and suspicion. We are truly united by language. We may come from all parts of the world, but we come together by a common language. One may only glance to our northern neighbor, Canada, to see how polarizing this issue can be. Quebec was damn close to declaring itself it's own country with the primary disagreement being language.

I see this issue becoming more hotly debated in the future. As one of the hispanic students said to me, "My Mom doesn't speak English, and she doesn't wanna learn". I think that it's as much as a debate about culture(and possible loss of)as it is language.

And one more thing. When I can't understand someone because their English is heavily accented, I'm upfront and honest with them. "I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying because of your accent". I have never had anyone be offended yet. They usually speak a little slower and I listen a little harder. No big deal.

Andee

• Brummie
    Brummie

wednesday, stuff all those with new no sense, your paitence was outstanding, and most of us make typo's, I rush all my replys and dont even bother correcting spelling mistakes even when I see them before I post. I figure most people here are intelligent enough to know what is being said.

At least we now know the people who really are unable to argue their case with an ounce of adult intelligence, pathetic huh.

Brummie

edited to add:

I am reffering to the dirt dished out on the other thread and not what has been said on this thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit