Why go back to the Old Testament?

by Lost in the fog 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

TTWSYF,

You have no idea what Jesus actually said. He did not leave anything in writing.

You are only able to read what people wrote several decades later. And the words they put onto Jesus' lips were their own words to their own community.

Doug

• blownaway
    blownaway

The new one aint all that good either.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Bungy_billOnce more, where is David_Jay when you need him!

It would be good if there was an option for members to have an email address link to click ( the whole address not totally visable to other members)should we think a thread would be of interest to someone on the board.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Dubs have no relationship with Jesus, in fact it scares them and they malign “born again” Xians.

They absolutely terrify jw's, jw's often telling them to literally "go away" which is what happened in a video Vandy posted.

It was funny because the jw's mentioned that the Catholics add 'other books' to the 'real' Bible.

They don't seem to realise the whole bible is Catholic, or rather was put together by their antecedents!!

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Diogenesister,

That's interesting, because the NT writers quote extensively from 1 Enoch, Sirach, and Jubilees, at least.

I wonder how they rationalise the Ethiopian Orthodox Bible, or the canon of Codex Siniaticus, or the canon of the Orthodox Church.

Only the RCs have taken a vote on the list of books. They did that in the 16th century at the Council of Trent. Protestants have never taken a vote. They accept Tradition!

Martin Luther wanted some NT books removed from the Bible, including James and Revelation.

Some modern-day scholars would like to see the NT Canon revisited, especially that we now know that Paul was personally responsible for only 7 of the 13 epistles attributed to him: 1 Thess., 1 Cor., 2 Cor, Gal., Philippians, Philemon, Romans. The others were written decades after his death.

Doug

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Doug Mason- Although I wasn't there to hear Jesus's words, I do trust what I have read. I trust because I have faith.

I have faith because [aside from the gift of faith from God,] it is reasonable to follow the crumbs from the early church fathers. They certainly wrote stuff down and more than one was a direct disciple from more than one apostle.

That's the church that gave the world the bible and told the world that it was the word of God.

This same church gave the world great fruits thru it's works. Things like a universities, hospitals, shelters for the sick, mentally ill, cripples, homeless and helpless. Far too many things to list here. No other faith, government, organization or dynasty can claim these truths. You may not like or even agree, but that fact remains true.

Jesus never said to write anything down because that wasn't the media 2 thousand years ago. Most people couldn't read even 200years ago, jeshe...Only a limited few could read and/or write.

Knowledge or teachings were spread orally. Jesus commissioned the apostles to go to all nations teaching all that he TOLD them, not what he told them to write.

You may think that it should have been writen because the WTS is a big publishing house, so I can see why you'd think Jesus should have written stuff down. But you're in error to think that's what should have happened.

At least that's my opinion. And my opinion says that

The Truth Will Set You Free

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Actually, things like hospitals, etc., came from Islam. They were miles ahead, as well as with astronomy, architecture, and mathematics, while the superstitious Christians were dunking women in the pond to see if they would drown, while the church was selling Indulgences, while Luther and Calvin were urging and praising the authorities for burning and torturing their religious opponents.

You are correct in admitting your ideas are only based on faith, I call that superstition and speculation.

Why would anyone think that a Bible is "The Word of God"? And which of the Bibles is meant? Especially as no one knows what was originally written.

Doug

• freddo
    freddo

They go back to the old testament because back then the priests were the "go between" for mankind to God. (Not Jesus)

So the GB love to emphasise how they are now the "go between" (relegating Jesus to the role of telephone operator at the end of your prayer).

It suits their purpose.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Because they are stone age thinking men using bronze age writings. It makes them feel smarter. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• Half banana
    Half banana

It is because most people in history, those not in authority, were illiterate so that those who could write told the peasants that their written word was sacred...........what a con trick!

For example who says that the law was hung on the torture stake?

Well it was written by the leaders of the early Jesus cult which was in the process of adopting and adapting all forms of religious belief to create is own orthodoxy. This included apostate Jews who had fallen for the latest "Christ" story fictions, by bishops who wanted numerical support for their movement--because more members made for more money in the coffers and lots of money meant political power.

Remember that the early Christians met not only in houses but in temples and used exactly the same hierarchical orders and religious organisational methods as the groups who were later to be condemned by the RC Church as "pagans". The Bible gives an extreme partisan view of Christian events in the early centuries including a conjectured account of the Christ hero, magical happenings and a sanitised account of its own history with the emphasis on divine blessing for itself and a bunch of failed prophecies.

The legacy of which is a devilish distortion of reality in the minds of millions right up until now!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit