Why go back to the Old Testament?

by Lost in the fog 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Onager
    Onager
    myelaine15 hours agoI don't know how a contemporary Jewish theocracy would run the show, (justice and mercy was always in the hands of the judiciary) but the kingdom of God under Christ's rule is in the future and by all scriptural indication, there wont be any "infidels" to stone. Everyone will be harmonious because that's the way everyone WANTS it to be. When you're just sick of the inequity of this kingdom, the reward is the kingdom of God. Of course, if you're not REALLY into that sort of thing, it shows in that you'll continue to strive against the only One who can deliver that reward.
    xo

The thing that I'm REALLY not into is living my life according to stories which have NO evidence of being true.

I'm REALLY not into telling other people what to do with their sexual organs (unless they are in bed with me).

I'm REALLY not into controlling people in ANY way by dangling a carrot of lies in front of their desperate faces.

REALLY.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    fogster -
    Why go back to the Old Testament?

It's a retarded set of writings by unintelligent dictator type men. The WBT$ see the control value in such Nazi type writings.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Onager...

Your response has very little to do with my post you quoted.

I said I'm not into inequality and I'm into living harmoniously with my fellow man.

Anyone CAN live like that. What does "evidence" have to do with it?

Sex organs? Nope, I didn't mention anything about that.

Controlling people? Hmmm...if a person wants something it doesn't take "controlling him" to get that person onboard for it. Like I said, the people in God's kingdom want to be there. No one has been manipulated into being there.

You said, "I'm REALLY not into controlling people in ANY way by dangling a carrot of lies in front of their desperate faces"...

I'm REALLY not into that either. JW's have been controlled by being told that they HAVE to work tirelessly for the possibility of entrance to the kingdom and one false move and they could be locked out forever. That kind of mindset produces desperation. Trusting God and the gospel of salvation produces patient endurance.

xo

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The reason why the WTS sought after the great Hebrew god (YHWH) was because he was more powerful than his son even though his son said you must come to me to know his (the) father.

They think the rest of Christendom has it wrong in worshiping Jesus anyways, thats why they (he) took on the name JWS.

The old testament has much more in laws that the WTS leaders could exploit to build their subsequent power around, Jesus was more of an instructor of acceptance of sin, love, empathy and forgiveness, less about rules or laws of conduct.

ie. Judge J Rutherford knew that as well.

• compound complex
    compound complex

In response to EverApostate . . .

The Old Testament, on multiple occasions, specifies that gods law mentioned there is to time indefinite.

How can Jesus void or change it? Isn't he the greatest apostate and rebel then?

Someone please clarify.

Frequently, we interchange words that are similar in meaning, although there are distinctions. For example, "continually" means off and on, whereas "continuously" means nonstop; hence, "continual rain" is intermittent showers, and "continuous rain" is precipitation with no letup. My thinking is that a time period currently viewed as indefinite might still have a terminating point; however, something that is stated as forever is unending.

Time Indefinite:

not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number. not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; anindefinite date in the future.

Forever:

1. for all future time; for always.

1. lasting or permanent.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Thanks for clarifying that CoCo.

Psalm 119:160. God's precepts are eternal, with Him.

xo

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're welcome, myelaine!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Drearyweather: What are your views on this? Do you feel that Islamic knowledge can be called as the assimilation of previously known knowledge? Was Medieval Islam a concoction of conquered civilisations?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last sentence of my last post, notes:

Quote: "One lesson to take away from this discussion is that all the evidence in antiquity points to a sharing of information from different sources and traditions. There is no 'long line of a true religion' in history."

That's my conclusion after 10 metaphorical years criss-crossing Asia as the well-spring of history,

The Arab thinkers were happy to research the conclusions of Hellenistic thinkers. And European thinkers (later) were happy to learn form the Arab preservers of Hellenistic/Roman understanding of the world.

Human knowledge is a gradual development built on observation and the testing (as far as possible) of a theory. And, as thinkers discussed their ideas, there has been a general sharing of knowledge that continues to this time period.

We know now that Egyptian knowledge was admired by the Greeks (and the Israelites also, recall Acts 7:22 - "Moses was educated in all the wisdom of the Egyptians " Later, Greek (Hellenistic) thinking was assiimilated by Jewish people.)

• Onager
    Onager

Dear Myelaine,

I'm sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick with your post. I thought you were advocating the JW Kingdom of God and my response was aimed at that religion.

You do seem to be claiming the existence of a Kingdom of God though and that humans can go there as a reward and that there is a "One" who can deliver that reward? If that's so and I haven't missed the point again, do you have any evidence for any of those things?

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Onager...

You said, "You do seem to be claiming the existence of a Kingdom of God though and that humans can go there as a reward and that there is a "One" who can deliver that reward? If that's so and I haven't missed the point again, do you have any evidence for any of those things?"...

No, I can't give you evidence. You'll have to find it yourself :)

xo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit