Crisis of Conscience: December 12, 2015 - 50 weeks later

by Jehalapeno 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    or what it's worth, YouTuber 'The Unwitness'(Joel I think)said a few months ago that he was disappointed with the delay but had been told the reason why and it was legit. Also that it will be well worth the delay from what he had heard and to be patient. He said he couldn't say anymore.

😆😆😆😆 I don't know who this dude is but he sounds like I've every witness I've ever met!!!

• credulity
    credulity

sparrowdown

I wonder if WT would ever make an offer to obtain the rights (god knows they have the theocratic warfare mentality and the $$$) and then leave them in a vault somewhere forever with any other copies they have hoovered up off eBay.

Copies of the book are held by both the British Library and the Library of Congress, so physical copies of the book would remain in the public domain (from highly authoritative sources) even if Watchtower attempted to acquire all second-hand copies offered for sale.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"...He said he couldn't say anymore."

I have no god and no master. If only all XJWs could say the same.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I too have wondered if the WT paid off the copyright holder.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

If it's true that the Copyright Holder is being bribed in any way by the society then any money that is contributed is effectively being given to the society.

I think I would have to know for sure what's going on before making a contribution.

• dozy
    dozy

I really hope it can be released. It was a real eye-opener to me in my fading & exit - verifying what I already knew ( or suspected ) but with a lot of extra inside information as well.

• Thisismein1972
    Thisismein1972

Personally, I don't care who publishes this. However, there is the awkward elephant in the room that would be copyright law. And of course, adding pages onto the book that don't belong there, and then proceeding to sell this book for profit.

Did you see how much a certain person got for a crowdfund appeal? Over $17000, I think it worked out at 1000% funded for a book that still has not been released!

So whilst we all rail against others here, remember this indiegogo appeal for a book that has not even been published yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-reluctant-apostate-religion#/

Personally, I have not seen anyone else beg for money in the JW community to publish their book. And this book has been in production for over 2 years now! Surely it doesn't take that long to write a book? Even being the busiest person alive!

• xelder
    xelder

The books exist already as pdf format, and Ray sold them that way. Keep them available while working on a new edition. That way we won't have self righteous Nathan holding out a tin cup doing a monkey dance.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Thisismein1972

Did you see how much a certain person got for a crowdfund appeal? Over $17000, I think it worked out at 1000% funded for a book that still has not been released!

I'm glad someone has mentioned this.

Yes, the crowdfunding method can work very well for publishing both books and music CDs - effectively 'pre-sales' the product also which means you get an idea of how much interest there is to gauge how big a first print run you want to do bearing in mind economies of scale.

Deborah could've done it with CoC - she could've also added a small premium for mentioning names on a 'thank you' page printed in the book. Maybe could've have gone with a hardback edition too.

$17,000 was raised by 'only' 355 people giving an average of just $47.88 each - so not really huge numbers of people giving large amounts of money - another benefit of crowdfunding.

BUT then you need to consider Nathan Natas' earlier comment in this thread.

and, of course, there is a small chance she has already been given a (small) advance by a publisher already.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

One year, to the date, now.

I hoped I was missing something and that it was published. Disappointed, though, that my suspicions were correct.

I just read most of your responses, and I agree with most of you. The delay is disappointing and strange.

I don't really give any credence to the conspiracy theories of it's publication being suppressed by watchtower. The "theory," actually it's a hypothesis, is based on pure conjecture and speculation, not any verifiable evidence.

Let's hope for the best. I won't encourage piracy in the meantime, but I won't discourage or condemn it either. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit