Calling Cofty and others regarding evolution

by dubstepped 340 Replies latest jw friends

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

All who are familiar with the process of Scientific Discover recognize that Knowledge is required to harness Energy in any form to arrive a a Productive Outcome.

Life is a process which harnesses Energy in numerous ways to accomplish productive goals.

Where does this Knowledge originate? Who has devised the system of "laws" which govern the processes of harnessing Energy in its manifest forms?

While certain Chemical Reactions do occur spontaneously when various molecules are brought together, the Chemical Reactions necessary to support Life cannot occur spontaneously. Much as a Chemist has great difficulty synthesizing molecules which are produced seemingly effortlessly by organs within our bodies or by living plants which extract needed nutrients from the soil and the air.

How did these organs and plants get such knowledge? Why are they smarter than we when it comes to re-arranging or creating molecules? Why do our organs, or those living plants, not require the synthesis conditions of the laboratory where Chemists synthesize chemicals for commerce at the expense of enormous energy input and often highly toxic environments?

Can the Religion of Evolution explain where this knowledge or know-how originates?

As one who is trained in Science and one who examines the tiniest of details, what is one to think?

Life is a great miracle.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from What Shall I Call Myself:

And seriously Old Navy, you link to Answers in Genesis...

Nay, not answers but insights into a process which results in a "change of mind." We do not yet have the needed answers to comprehend many things. But, there is ample Scientific Evidence.

Here is a presentation from a Dr. Richard Lumsden which offers insights into how the "knowledge threshold" is exceeded and how Science supports the inevitable conclusion.

https://vimeo.com/11466124

When one knows enough, or too much, one cannot go back to previously held beliefs.

I am comfortable with your belief in Evolution. It is only temporary. There is no need for anyone to "try to change your mind." That will occur naturally when the threshold is exceeded. Good Science.

• cofty
    cofty
    Life is a process which harnesses Energy in numerous ways to accomplish productive goals. Where does this Knowledge originate?

The most likely source for the origin of life is in deep sea Alkaline vents. The method of energy production was the creation of proton gradients across a membrane just as it is now in every mitochondria in every cell in your body.

The details are quite complex. The field of study is called bioenergetics. One of the teams working on it is led by Nick Lane at UCL.

By the way it has nothing to do with 'knowledge' Matter organising itself to harness energy - or to look at it another way, to maximise entropy - is as unlikely as a stone rolling down a hill.

If you care about learning more check out the work being done by Jeremy England.

Rejection of evolution isn't caused by reaching any 'knowledge threshold'. It is caused by a rejection of knowledge. Every time you post you expose your wilful ignorance.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Cofty:

Rejection of evolution isn't caused by reaching any 'knowledge threshold'. It is caused by a rejection of knowledge. Every time you post you expose your wilful ignorance.

Well, you do make a left-handed point there: I certainly am ignorant of Knowledge which is proven deceptive. Is there any published work regarding Evolution which isn't hypothetical: "We think this is how it happened but we're not sure because we aren't able to replicate our hypotheses in the laboratory. But, never-the-less, take our word for it because it is fact beyond all doubt."

Once the "knowledge threshold" is attained by studying the tiniest of details in a rigorous manner by means of an honest Scientific Process of Discovery, one realizes that the foundations of Evolution are manifestly impossible. Unless some sort of miracle is responsible. Then the light turns on.

All may believe as they wish. It's no biggie. All will be made known eventually.

I am aware that probably most Creationists are up-tight about anyone believing Evolution; as are many Evolutionists up-tight about anyone believing that all life has been created. So emotions are aroused and debates occur, only to result in the "believers" being more firmly attached to their beliefs.

Cults will be cults. But, thankfully, in the end Truth always wins the game.

• cofty
    cofty
    Is there any published work regarding Evolution which isn't hypothetical:

Yes. Tens of thousands of peer-reviewed studies. Absolute, incontrovertible proof beyond all reasonable doubt.

Since you have never even read a science book in your life you are hardly in a position to judge.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    sub-systems

Ay, there is the rub! - And don't forget to not to equate speculative science ( such as "the religion of evolution" for example) with empirical science which requires zero faith, proponents or advocates with an agenda.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Cofty:

Since you have never even read a science book in your life you are hardly in a position to judge.

Partially correct: I've read many Science books throughout my existence but heartily agree that I'm in no position to Judge. No matter what others believe I do not consider their position to be that of an inferior or one who is less worthy. All I am really able to do is reveal what my own beliefs are and how, in a general sense, I came to believe them. Beliefs are personal and only we ourselves can decide when we will modify them or change them. Efforts by others to change minds are an exercise in futility.

But it is rather marvelous that we all seem intuitively to be very much devoted to finding Truth. That we have very complex abilities within our minds to process thoughts as we evaluate philosophical matters to arrive at critical decisions. We surely are very well made.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Old Navy - Beliefs are personal and only we ourselves can decide when we will modify them or change them. Efforts by others to change minds are an exercise in futility.

But some things aren't just beliefs. Evolution contains evidence. That evidence contradicts the Biblical account of creation, the flood, etc., which requires little more than belief to hold to.

I also disagree with the part in bold above. Efforts by others to change minds are not futile if one is open minded and searching for truth and the other comes with factual evidence. I'm trying to be open minded here and to understand evolution. Many here have brought evidence for me to look at and to think about. The reason I'm asking questions in the first place is because efforts by others to change minds has finally got through to me.

I do agree with the assertion in bold in one respect though. Most aren't actually open minded. Look at Fisherman above. He's been here for well over a decade getting shut down over and over with facts, at times even his own arguments, and yet he's still here peddling much of the same stuff. Maybe he's changed in ways, I don't know, but if you can ultimately come here day in and day out and get into arguments from a pro-JW stance and on the same things over and over, and never think that there might just be a chance that you're dead wrong with so many great arguments being thrust at you, then what are you doing? If you can be in an environment like this very site and you come out the end like you entered in the beginning, something is wrong with you. People here are constantly challenging and questioning long held beliefs of others, but most others aren't willing to set aside their emotions and to do the hard work of challenging where they stand. It hurts to do so.

I couldn't stand Cofty (sorry Cofty, my apologies) when I came here. I found him abrasive and disagreed vehemently with him on a few subjects. I literally just asked him for his input on this subject. Why? Because I've changed over time on here. I've come to have great respect for him. I also think he's mellowed out a bit in ways, or maybe I'm just not as fragile as I was when I first came here. I don't know. Either way I like Cofty a lot and appreciate his posts. Maybe we both changed over time. People that are looking for the best explanations of things, the best ways of doing things to be effective, typically do. Others just stick to their guns and do the same things over and over again expecting different results this time (like going into a person's post about evolution while espousing their god stuff for some odd reason), and we all know what that's the definition of according to some.

My wife was going through my Facebook profile today and stumbled upon one of the first posts that I ever made on there. It was this pro-creationism rant. I thought I knew it all. There was one video in this very thread that I have seen before that I got to see this time with open eyes. I wasn't ready for it when I saw it before and criticized it because I wasn't honest enough and open enough to grasp what it was saying. I was still holding on to long held beliefs that I needed to hold on to at the time. Now I'm strong enough not to need those things anymore.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Interesting how some people here grasp at the idea of "information" (energy), transform it into "knowledge" and then expect a intelligent being to be there to create it. The jump from "information" in a scientific (physics or mathematics to be exact) sense to "knowledge/creator" is a HUGE leap and glosses over way more stuff than any evolutionary scientist would ever be willing to accept.

But it is rather marvelous that we all seem intuitively to be very much devoted to finding Truth. That we have very complex abilities within our minds to process thoughts as we evaluate philosophical matters to arrive at critical decisions. We surely are very well made.

Again, what's with the leaps of confidence. We don't intuitively devote ANYTHING to finding truth. If we were, first of all, we wouldn't be having this conversation not because the premise of the idea but because our ancestors would've died.

If you're in the savannah looking for truth, you will be eaten. No, you run and hide by instantly imagining up the biggest monster behind the rustling bush, hence why pretty much EVERY god (even the Christian) is rooted in naturalistic and animalistic beliefs.

Humans (all apes/primates) are relatively weak, we don't run fast, don't see very well, we are squishy as hell but yeah "well made" (that was sarcasm). But we are relatively intelligent so whoever develops the capacity to conjure up more adrenaline through it's mind, even if it's unnecessary, wins, especially over those who "wait and see what comes out" which is what you find most common in nature but especially those that develop the capacity to "find out truth" and go investigate which is a laughable survival strategy.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

ON, thank you for sharing Dr. Richard Lumsden's video testimony.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit