Talked Higher Education with Mrs. OTWO

by OnTheWayOut 25 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So I shared a Facebook video from Newsbroke with my wife. You many agree or disagree with the points made in the video. Please, don't make this about that.

The point I am making is that my wife is not your typical JW despite her resolve to stay a JW. The point I was making is that my wife got her Master's Degree while married to me and attending Kingdom Hall. The point is that the person in the video is accusing the administration (and conservative society) of trying to condemn higher education.

Here's the youtube of the same video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvA8gakl84

My wife's comment was "Well, these are people who don't want others to ever become managers. They want them to forever be the low paid workers under the college-educated managers."

She may wake up one day afterall. She may realize that the JW organization really is against her way of thinking about education.

I came back with "Not every last person needs a college education, but I have learned that the answer to absolutely everything is education. We need education to overcome ignorance and further education leads to research to find answers to all problems."

I went too far. She went back into JW mode and said how so much of higher learning does focus on unrealistic hopes of humans figuring things out. Oh well.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the problem is that the more higher education one has the more one can see why JWs remain JWs. One hopes they are happy and one can see why they are happy. otwo for you and me it was too restrictive but for our mates it is a good and fulfilling life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ruby456, Mrs. OTWO is not happy. She is not living a fulfilling life by remaining a JW. Luckily, she is allowing her true self to shine through here and there. Her problem is that she is just stuck with believing their lies that she WILL BE HAPPIER IN THE FUTURE if she never gives up the misery that is the life of a JW.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I guess I should have said happy enough. My relatives all seem happy enough - my own feeling is that they would be miserable without their hopes

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thanks for sharing. I find your stories fascinating.

• TD
    TD

I went too far. She went back into JW mode and said how so much of higher learning does focus on unrealistic hopes of humans figuring things out. Oh well.

Two steps forward one step back...

It's frustrating in the extreme, but you'll get there.

• LV101
    LV101

OTWO - Yeah, but she has you to balance out the crazy cult. I'm sure that's a world of comfort to her even if she misses your absence there. My nearest/dearest in cult have degrees/masters, also -- because of marriage one is there and it is what it is. Some people can deal with that crazy, I guess. I always tell my adult child, "aint that love jus something'"! I don't even believe they trust the hope after so many failed ones. I think they appreciate the idea there are perhaps 1% plodding along that are diligently trying to be good, upright, people. I've heard them say they know better people on the outside so I'm not right about that. It's the peer pressure from inside to prove they're loyal -- enough to make me sick. Loyal to charlatans and magic.

Maybe they'll start paying attention or hearing all the reality about the cult that is going on around the world.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Are you able to tell us what your wife's profession is and what her field of study was? Is it possible that her education may be contributing to her difficulty in "getting it?"

Certain areas of study are modes of indoctrination not unlike the WTBorg Cult Inc. program of indoctrination.

At least you're getting a dialogue going on the topic. Once she hears something that resonates with her discomfort level perhaps things will begin to fall into place. It is good that you're going slowly and in small steps. There is always hope!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I love your methods to get her to think.

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Have you tried 607bce chat with her. If you type it in a normal search engine every history website I looked at said Jerusalem was destroyed in 586/7 bce. This totally throws their date of 1914 out of the window and if more people knew about it they'd be flocking out of the religion because 1914 is what one of their main teachings is based on. Jwfacts has good information on it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit