How Many Here EVER Considered Going Back To Meetings?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I have been for special talks and the memorial. My family were smiling like Cheshire Cats because we were there. Some will go for the memorial each year just to make the family happy and for no other reason. I guess I will be doing the same until our parents are no longer with us.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I took my son's former MIL to the D.A., and shortly after I made lunch for the substitute C.O., because I was on the list and was still in "Let your yes mean yes mode". Surreal watching the Stepford bobble heads. I was incredulous that a man younger than my son was the Sub. 30-year-old C.O. using training wheels.

I went to the next Memorial TM to appease my closest JW "friend". Never again. Seeing all the little kids dressed up as corporate drones sickened me. Several third/fourth gens in that congregation. Sad, wasted lives.

To be clear, I was in no way ever tempted to return to the organization once I walked away.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Last time I stepped foot in a KH was my fathers memorial. I made sure my mothers was not held in the KH.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

It actually crossed my mind about 3 years ago, but I quickly came to my senses. I attribute it to a longing for spirituality and missing my Mother. However, the WT is NOT the place for spirituality and true, unconditional love. I have learned to be happy and content with my "worldly" life.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

I was baptized at age 16 at a Circuit Assembly in the 50s when there was no "indoctrination," no "candidacy" and no other preparation necessaryt. Back then things were very much like Christendom in that any who desired baptism could be done when they were ready on the spur of the moment. The baptism was Biblical in the name of The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit; it wasn't a Corporate Ritual as it has become today. I was drawn to the witnesses through a high school classmate and in my approximately two and one half years of association really did not come to comprehend anything about how the Cult actually "works" behind the scenes and frankly, did not think of the WT Society as a Cult. I just knew that I didn't wish to pursue their very strict set of rules.

By age 19 I was ready to terminate my association with the witnesses and did so by entering active duty with the U.S. Navy. I spent 21 years in the Navy before entering the Fleet Reserve (retirement.)

My family was settled at our new location far from my home city and I was employed as a civilian with an Employment Training Center as an electronics instructor. Witnesses did occasionally call at our home to offer "Bible studies." I chose not to reveal to any that I had prior association with the Cult but did have questions and wanted to know more about how they did things, especially the "disfellowshipping" and the "shunning."

So on and off over the next ten years I participated in "Bible studies," attended meetings at the Kingdom Hall, and had frank discussions with many of the witnesses. I discovered early on that being, in their eyes, non-baptized and therefore not a "brother" was a great advantage. I had considerably more freedom to ask questions than those who were active witnesses in "good standing." Therefore, I was able to gradually find answers to the nagging questions. One of the elders took me under his wing and enabled me to "witness" many events that I'd otherwise not have been able to see.

Yes, it took those ten years of "undercover" observation to finally come to the conclusive realization that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society was indeed a High Control Cult. Leaving their association the "second time" was much more purposeful and, thankfully, was very painless. Painless, that is, compared to what most of you here had to experience and endure with the disfellowshipping and the shunning. Thankfully, none of my family ever became members of the Cult so they were spared any of the potential repercussions.

I am truly in awe of the number of "believing" witnesses who have been able to come to their senses and successfully escape from the Cult. Their stories are frequently heartbreaking and the mental trauma evident in their stories is often painfully difficult to digest. I have the utmost respect for all who've found their freedom and who are making strides in their de-programming and adjustment to Real Life. It is very, very good that a support group such as this forum exists to offer hope to all who have doubts and to offer advice to all who bravely seek an escape.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Old navy- how can I best wake up my still in family that they are in fact part of a high control cult as you put it?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I went twice after I left. Once for the memorial, when I was visiting my mother, because it made her happy, although she sent me a letter after I got home saying she didn't want to talk to me anymore, "I want to die with a clean conscience". The next time was a few months later, after she passed away, for her memorial. It was the usual WTBTS promotional commercial, with barely a mention of the person supposedly being memorialized. Whatever, neither time meant anything to me.

That's been over fifteen years. I have two siblings left in the organization, both older than me, I may have to attend their memorials. Whatever.

• kairos
    kairos

Never will go back.
    Not for my still in wife's family memorials or even hers.

I could never go back knowing what I now know.
    I can't even imagine how it would feel to have all the JWs that know me in one place staring at me and shunning. Too horrible to contemplate.

I don't want to see the hate and judgement in their eyes.

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

I went back a year or two ago for my moms sake, and when I approached the kh door I was overcome by a literal and very real fear that I would catch fire spontaneously when I entered.......sad I know. The talk turned out to be empty and nauseating, and fortunately I didn't die by fire.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

out for 9 months and never back! Unless this religion becomes honest... My best friend is still in becuase of his family, so I often get news about Big Brother 'n Co. Well, I believe I'm out for years and years... and years...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit