First time caller, long time lurker

by Gollum 36 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Hi Gollum . Welcome to a 3 dimmensional world . Sounds like you are articulate enough to add some color to our little world . Looking forward to hearing more from you. I am one of those heathens they tried to fry with all their wayward logic. I gather you did get your handle from LOTR which is a great movie and read . If you like Gollums try reading Dean Koontz Dragon Tears , way cool.

• Gollum
    Gollum

See, I'm being sucked in already. Dangnabit, I knew this would happen!!!

Once again, too simple minded to figure out quotes thingamajig.

blondie:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm unsure if I'm being paranoid about identification, or if they really are out to get me. I guess if I learned one thing from the eighties (and one per decade is my usual rate) it was the concept of "plausible deniability". I figure as long as I have that, I'm okay. In regards to faith in the bible, I do have a certain unease that perhaps I'm throwing out a baby with this bathwater. It's just that I've drank so much bathwater that I have to stand on dry land for awhile. I recently read an interesting book that related to this same experience, only for an entire culture. It was A.N. Wilsons book "God's Funeral". It is about the Victorians trying to cope with the facts about geology, and evolution basically disproving at least a literal belief in the bible. It's interesting to read something and realize you are going through the same mental process that most of the rest of the human race went through over a hundred years ago.

CC Ryder:

I know how you feel. Personally, I sort of don't care what they do, I feel like I've moved beyond their little games and don't give a rat's behind about it. However, it would so upset my mother, and really hurt her, so I want to avoid it if at all possible. Kind of pisses me off that the only effect any action would have would be to hurt someone who is extremely loyal to their belief system.

DanTheMan:

Well, I'm not exactly sitting atop the bell curve for normality myself.

onacruse:

It has changed a lot. To me it seems they sort of grab a paradigm every 20 years or so and flog it into the ground, then look back a few years and grab some other outdated concept. Probably a whole other topic there. Great, I'm really getting sucked in, I'm thinking of starting another topic, arghh. I need an intervention!!

outnfree:

The golum thing is probably best explained by other references. I sort of relate to it in the big, dumb, pound people on head sort of way. Here's one reference. http://www.jewishmag.com/26mag/golem/golem.htm

• Solace
    Solace

Welcome!

Looking forward to knowing you!

• Beans
  • chachasmum
    chachasmum

Hi gollum and welcome to the forum

I like your user name. I'm assuming it's from Lord of the Rings. I saw the second part last nite well almost. I posted a thread about what happened, missed the last 45minutes. Anyway i just wanted to say hi and welcome.

• greven
    greven

Welcome Gollum!

Nicely choosen nickname! I am a fan of LOTR too. Your writing style is very good! It reminds me of Terry Pratchett!

A.) In my opinion, the bible, while a fascinating book, is basically fiction. Really interesting fiction, but fiction nonetheless.

B.) The org had then taken that fiction and tried to perform contortions of logic to it that would make a UFO convention look like a meeting of the skeptics society.

I cant agree more on this!! Brilliant !

Greven

• Swan
    Swan

WELCOME!

my precioussss...

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit