First time caller, long time lurker

by Gollum 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Gollum
    Gollum

Finally, guilt at just being a lurker has driven me onto the board. Not that I feel I have much to add, but did want to extend my appreciation for much of the information and insight I have received from many of the posters here.

I suppose some brief synopsis of my story should be forthcoming. It’s very similar to many of stories I have read here.

Was raised in the “truth” ,third generation on both sides. Currently inactive, haven’t been to a meeting (other than occasionally when visiting my mother, nicely out of state) for a couple of years. Planning on staying inactive, in other words, actively trying to avoid da/df for family reasons. This is actually one of the reasons I haven’t posted, I don’t want to much personal info to slip out, which, being a bit of a long winded SOB, probably will if I post too much. Avoidance hasn’t been much of a problem thus far, though an unsuccessful attempt was made by one of the elder’s of my former hall to contact me quite recently. I’m confident they will give up as soon as the pre memorial “encourage the weak/burn the heathens” campaign is over. Till then I can easily avoid contact.

I finally left not due to being disillusioned with the people that I knew in the org, many of whom I sincerely wished I could have stayed friends with, but due to finally allowing myself to realize that:

A.) In my opinion, the bible, while a fascinating book, is basically fiction. Really interesting fiction, but fiction nonetheless.

B.) The org had then taken that fiction and tried to perform contortions of logic to it that would make a UFO convention look like a meeting of the skeptics society.

As I said, I didn’t have too many issues with the people in the wide variety of congregations I was in. Sure, if you drilled down, you’d get a large sample of idiots, a**holes, power mongers, and just plain weirdness. But that’s true of any group, especially more fringe, isolated groups like the witnesses, and insurance agents. Plus, I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of weirdness, and boy, you could snort some of the pure stuff at a hall. I also knew and loved a large group of people that I’ve been forced to leave behind for my own protection.

• ballistic
    ballistic

May I be the first to welcome you to the board (if no-one beats me),

I also know what it's like to leave friends behind in the org. I had many good friends. I can look back with nostalgia and only remeber the good times. But there were people I was glad to leave behind also, and people I have met now who look like saints compared to elders. These are the people you don't hear about from the platform.

Enjoy your stay!

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Let me be the second (unless someone beats me to it) to welcome you here!

Enjoy your time here, you will make LOTS of good friends here.

Eric

• Valis
    Valis

let me be the third...*LOL* welcome Gollum...good to have you here...one good thing you have going is some distance...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK, if nobody beats I'm fourth. Hi, welcome. Maybe everybody can have fun seeing if we can get this up to say a thousand?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Nice to have you aboard Gollum...glad to see you step up to the mic and say hello

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The org had then taken that fiction and tried to perform contortions of logic to it that would make a UFO convention look like a meeting of the skeptics society.

LMAO!

• Soledad
    Soledad

welcome Gollum I'm a career lurker

• Francois
    Francois

Welcome.

Your honesty, illustrated by your statement, "...allowing myself to realize..." is refreshing. I know so many people still in the Borg who KNOW it's all bull, yet they can't bring themselves to that high ethical personal standard that "allows themselves to realize."

Yeoman work, sir. Glad to have you with the rest of us apostates.

francois

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome Gollum.

Nice to have you here. I like your dry wit.

JamesT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit